Handgun Forum banner

Do you shoot with one or two eyes open???

• I shoot with one eye.

Votes: 265 51.4%
  • I shoot with two eyes

Votes: 224 43.4%
  • I'm blind and shoot at smells

Votes: 27 5.2%
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
That is pretty kewl...
Yeah, it's pretty slick and works surprisingly well. It also makes the magnified ACOGs work for CQB. Right eye sees the illuminated chevron, left eye the target, and BAM! Good for fast, close range shooting even with a magnified optic.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, since the old Armson OEGs (Occluded Eye Gunsights) used this very concept, and the one I tried back in the Dark Ages worked well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I shoot with my left eye open. I am right handed but my left is dominent, that makes a rifle a treat to shoot!!!!!
I am trying to do more with both eyes open.

·
Registered
447 Posts
i shoot with my psychic minds eye:smt048:smt119:smt120

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I close my eyes, spin around three times, and pray for hit. Lol, it depends on the lighting. If my front sight is brightly illuminated, I can get away with both eyes open. If it's not, usually one eye open with the other at least squinted. I'm extremely right-eye dominant so getting the left/rights mixed up isn't an issue.

·
Registered
11,070 Posts
One eye yes, two eyes yes, but three...no

I answered "one eye" to the poll, but the truth is that I should be using both eyes when shooting a pistol, and sometimes I do remember to.
When I teach or coach pistol shooting, I teach the student to use both eyes whenever possible.
I've thought of studying Buddhism, because the Buddhist's contemplative third eye might come in handy some day.:anim_lol:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Interesting topic for the newb here, as I've never had any formal training...

I do know I'm strongly left eye dominant, right handed, lasik (best $3600 I ever spent) 20/15 with both eyes.. eh maybe not quite 20/20 with left eye (my right is better)...

So I'm sure I'm both eyes open to acquire and right eye only for rifle and scope..

However, guessing.. I'm thinking it would be more proper to go ahead and acquire left eye naturally though right handed with a pistol, both eyes open, as it would be without thinking in a "ready to drop someone" situation.. So I guess (please correctly if wrong) that I should probably learn and train with my quickest sight acquisition with my dominant left-eye. ???

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Babs, it's no big deal to use the dominant left eye for sighting a pistol, even if right handed. You just shift the position of the gun a few degrees. I know several good pistol shooters who are cross-dominant.

Cross-dominance is a bigger problem with long guns, but can be resolved with the suggestions above.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Right eye open, left closed. Right is my dominant eye. Sometime I will try shooting with both eyes open. Just to see how it goes.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Usually with one eye,but it depends on lighting....

Two eyes with a laser or dot scope.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Shooting one handed, which I am pretty good at left or right, I can use the eye on the side in use at the time. When holding two handed they both want to take over so I end up with double vision when trying to aim precisely.

:smt1099
I have the double vision problem. At the local gun store we determined I am left handed left eye dominant. But it's a VERY small left eye dominant. I wear contacts, and when both eyes are open, I end up seeing two rear sight apertures. Any suggestions or help? I have tried to pull one in but can't seem to.

·
Registered
11,070 Posts
The Maharishi told me always to do things with my third eye open.

Ommmmmm...

:anim_lol:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I always shoot both eyes open, only exception is on an M16 with Iron sights, I scan with both eyes but fire with my left closed...just gives me a more consistent sight picture.

Oh, and some high mag (12x+) scope I close the left.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
With the switch to tritium sights... Both eyes work MUCH better...

Practice practice practice!!!

Two eyes open in a life of death situation is imperative. You have to take in as much info as possible to keep you and those around you safe, and STILL shoot with extreme accuracy.

Practice for how you my have to shoot. In a home defense situation, which is what most of us own a gun for, it will be low ready, lift, shoot.

Two eyes open can save your life, and your loved ones.

JW

·
Registered
16 Posts
I shoot handguns and CQB (sub guns, shotguns, carbines) with both eyes open. On rare (very rare) occasion, I'll close the left for a long shot with open sights or a scope on a long barreled revolver or Contender (hunting scenario).

I fire most rifles with one eye closed unless it is CQB. This includes scoped and iron sights, as well as my service weapon for anything beyond 150m. Old habits die hard I guess, but it works for me.

I'm right handed/right eye dominant but an eye inury in college (since fixed with lasik) allowed me to work with my left eye so much that now I can switch back and forth without flinching. I've trained enough on weak side (left in my case) firing to get pretty close to the same speed and accuracy I can strong side, but there is still a significant mental hurdle there that I continue to work on wearing down. (besides, it really sucks shooting an M4 left handed with no deflector :) )

Interesting topic that keeps getting brought up about AimPoints and other red dot sights being made to fire with both eyes open. I believe the principal behind it is called the "Bindon Aiming Concept" (BAC), and it allows the firer to simply place an aiming point on target (once it is zeroed) with no regards to the actual sight picture. Apparently it is applied to every optic the military currently uses outside of sniper weapons systems. At least that's what the Trijicon rep told us when he came out to the unit to see if we'd "field test" their new Rifle Combat Optic, which is just a TA-31 ACOG with a Doctor mini-holosight strapped on top for CQB. I really like it... and had to talk him out of an extra Dr. sight to slap on my m4orgery (stealing that one... good term!) when I get home.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
I voted "I shoot with two eyes." My right eye is squinted (i'm left eye dominant), but it's not closed so I consider that two eyes open. I can still see out of my right eye, but it's not completely open.

-Jeff-

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Wait, your supposed to have your eyes open when you shoot?

I shoot with both eyes open. I've gotten to the point where I can do it with scoped rifles as well.

Zhur

41 - 60 of 147 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.