Handgun Forum banner

Disappointed in Colt

3K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  kansas_plainsman 
#1 ·
Local shop had a blue entry-level Colt - similiar to the Springfield GIs. It was $676.

I saw it Sat and went back today to look at it. I was so disappointed. I might have gotten it, but the trigger had lots of play and was mushy. The thumb safety also felt terrible when you pushed it down - it only worked ok when you pushed it back up. Also, the finish around the front sight was messed up.

Colts never caught my eye before - Always been a Springfield fan. But, I thought I'd give Colt a chance... I'll pass...

What is sad is that feature wise, it's identical to the Springfield GIs, which are $200 less - Basically, you pay for the name, I suppose...

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Well, the frame and slide on the Springer is forged, not cast.

I would venture to say that most 1911 companies are using MIM parts - I don't know the exact MIM parts that Colt is using compared to other brands, but they are using them.

I don't really stay awake at night worrying about MIM parts. If something breaks, I'll replace it. But, out of the box, The Springers and KImbers I have dealt w/ are better than the avg NEW Colts I have seen.

Now that Kimber has gone back to internal extractors, I plan to either buy a KImber later this year, or a full size Walther P99 9mm w/ the A/S trigger, if I can ever dig one up in my area. I really like the Meprolight sights that Kimber uses too.

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Well, I know 1911 super purists can't stand anything else but a Colt. I just feel like you get a better deal w/ some of the other brands. The quality control on the Colts aren't that great lately, unless U buy a higher end model...

Discussion starter · #15 ·
Well, as I mentioned in the 1st post, I came across a new Colt I had considered buying - so it was my experience. That particular gun wasn't even worth 1/2 of what they wanted for it, in my opinion.

When I was prev married, my in laws had a nice series 70 Colt 1911 - it's the gun that got me into the 1911. So, I know there are nice guns. I just don't see any benefit of buying a Colt now, when for the same money, U get more features in other brands. You are paying a bit of a premium because it is a "Colt."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.