Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My entire "Handgun owning" life I carried Federal Hydra-Shock in all my CCW Handguns. After a lot of research and ballistic review I recently started carrying Hornady Critical Defense.
What do you carry for defense?
Any thoughts on the Hornady Critical Defense?

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I read critical duty is recommended for law enforcement. The only problem I saw with it is the average pentraction is well over 18". Where self defense ammo is recommended at 12-16". If I carried critical duty I wonder what situation I'd be in where I need to go through steel or auto glass.

· Registered
5,421 Posts
The Federal Hydra-Shok line was replaced some years ago with their HST, which is rumored to stand for Hydra-Shok Two. The HST load is much better and more consistent in every caliber in which it is offered.

To answer your question, my preferences for defensive loads, in no particular order, is the Federal HST and the Speer Gold Dot JHP. In 9mm, I like the 124 grain +P loads. In .40S&W, I like the 165 grain loads (for Gold Dot I like the hotter load in this caliber). In .45ACP, I like the 230 grain +P HST.

· Premium Member
4,087 Posts
The Federal Hydra-Shok line was replaced some years ago with their HST, which is rumored to stand for Hydra-Shok Two. The HST load is much better and more consistent in every caliber in which it is offered.

To answer your question, my preferences for defensive loads, in no particular order, is the Federal HST and the Speer Gold Dot JHP. In 9mm, I like the 124 grain +P loads. In .40S&W, I like the 165 grain loads (for Gold Dot I like the hotter load in this caliber). In .45ACP, I like the 230 grain +P HST.
The HydraShock is still available and in production by Federal.

· Registered
323 Posts
I'm still working through my stock of Remington Golden Sabre believe it or not.

The replacement, after I'm sure that my gun likes it 100%, will be Critical Defense. One, it was designed for the average guy where Duty was built to pass the FBI protocols of shooting through car doors, glass etc. That to me is over penitration that i don't need. Secondly, I understand that when you go to court the ammo you used will be brought up in court and possibly used against you. Thus the fact that my ammo's name is Critical Defense can't hurt. It doesn't show prementitation.

As far as bullet performance goes, I'm sure all those other brands' magic self defense bullets look great in their tests. Further I'm sure those manufactures know what they're doing. But I think in the real world any those magic bullets will work if you hit your target where you should.

Finally, if ball ammo has been so effective in .45ACP all these years, then how is the difference between brand Y and brand X JHP going to make a difference?

· Registered
5,421 Posts
Secondly, I understand that when you go to court the ammo you used will be brought up in court and possibly used against you. Thus the fact that my ammo's name is Critical Defense can't hurt. It doesn't show prementitation.
Highly unlikely, unless you live in New Jersey. This is going to depend upon in which state you reside.

As far as bullet performance goes, I'm sure all those other brands' magic self defense bullets look great in their tests. Further I'm sure those manufactures know what they're doing. But I think in the real world any those magic bullets will work if you hit your target where you should.
There's no such thing as a magic bullet, however I do see your tongue-in-cheek humor in this.

Finally, if ball ammo has been so effective in .45ACP all these years, then how is the difference between brand Y and brand X JHP going to make a difference?
Of course, a quality expanding bullet is nearly always going to be better than ball ammunition. The venerable .45 just made a larger hole.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With the drugs that are on the streets now turning people into zombies, in my opinion it's becoming more and more important that you choose ammo that Passes the heavy clothing test. Making sure your brand of ammo is causing as much cavitation as possible, because cavitation is where you get your knock down. And ammo that is shredding and sticking. A 9MM that shreds and sticks is most likely going to do more damage than a super charged, super caliber that just causes a through and through wound. Let's face it. You're most likely going to be standing 5-7 feet from the person you are engaging. When you start carrying ammo that goes through auto glass and steel plating you're loosing some of the fundamentals of self defense. And your right if you're on the stand trying to explain why it was necessary for you to fire into a vehicle...that's going to be costly.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
VAMARINE I guess your right. Two situations I can think of is a gun fight in a parking lot or just around a single parked car and 2. If someone was attempting to carjack you, you might be forced to quickly draw and shoot through your own car door or window. I have an old car door off a Cavalier I could do some testing with. Do you guys matters too much how it reacts as long as it peniatrates the door completely? Or would you put something behind the door to simulate a person? If so what would you put behind the door?

· Registered
5,132 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.