Handgun Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
The 1911 Is Able To Shoot HP And +P.

View attachment 1454
My preferred carry when I carried a 1911. Never has a hiccup, but was a little stout out of an Officers Model.
Still very manageable and it stayed a favorite for a lot of years.
Counter clerks at gun stores can be less than informative. I heard a guy at Academy tell a man to cut his shotgun barrel to 14 inches one day. I turned around and the guy behind me had the same look I figure I had on my face.
The clerk was a white haired gent, so people probably listened to him.
I got to know the supervisor over the Shooting Counter over time. She is young, bright, and very knowledgeable. She didn't see the humor in the statement, but since it was after the fact and both of us that heard it weren't there, she had to take it with a grain, and hopefully put the guy on the radar. I haven't been back in the year since that happened. Nothing against them, it is just a long and special trip to the store.
The 1911 may have been designed for ball ammo, HP didn't really live in everyday life at the time, but that doesn't mean it won't and doesn't perform remarkably with HP. On the other hand, the 230 grain ball ammo does somthing that most pistol rounds don't. It tumbles. Tumble isn't as reliable as expanding, but it is a great round.
Happy Shopping

·
Registered
20 Posts
This topic has been ongoing for 8 years on this string of replies and it's chock full of really good input for anyone shooting a 1911 or any .45 autoloader. My Kimber reacts differently from my Glock G36 , but both of them have had loading issues that ended up being simple fixes. Any round that's not a half caliber ellipse or 1/2E (round nose, no meplat, no lip at the tangent), was unloved by my Glock. I swaged some 3/4 E softballs and had to add .020" to the overall length in order to get them to "skip" off the ramp early enough to get the nose into the chamber edge before being pinched. Using a steep truncated cone semi-wadcutter required the same treatment for the Kimber, but not so in the Glock. The most accurate load for the Kimber is a 182gn. 3/4E LRN. The Glock seems to love the truncated cone at about 205gn. In any case the .45 (no pun intended) properly loaded and placed will stop what you need it to. Unless you're trying to stop the shooting budget from bleeding to death these days!

41 - 42 of 42 Posts