Handgun Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Supporting Member
5,657 Posts
I like hardball in a 45 auto, not only for reliability, but also for penetrating power.

We all know there isn't much penetrating power in a 45 acp.
But my thought is ,,, a hardball 45 will be more predictable for my own results , penetrations.

If you would like to use these hollow scientific engineered expanding rounds that's fine also.
Same opinion on the 9mm, thanks pic

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've talked to Korean War vets who described what a 45 Auto does when it hits somebody -- anywhere. They were using military FMJ ammo. If it can stop a charging Chinaman dead in his tracks it's good enough for me.

·
Registered
132 Posts
When I got my ATI i found they were not really meant for holoow points. My colt 1911 has had much less issues. Hornady Crit defense will work in the various 1911 I have tried. Guard dog will often work and Corbon. The thing is say the winchester hollow points you get at say walmart often has too big an opening and jams things from what I have seen. Lots of guys get their feed ramps polished and some guys i know has something called throated.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm on my 3rd 1911 as my carry weapon... I start them out for break in and reliability testing with 240g FMJ. I never draw any conclusions about the gun until they're 100% reliable with that stuff.

Then I start them with my CCW ammo. Right now that is 200g Golden Sabre. With 200g I can regain control for followup shots. Golden Sabre has a good reputation and that's the best you can hope for in defensive ammo. EVERYBODY'S ammo looks GREAT in their own tests.

So why Golden Sabre? I KNOW my gun works with it. Ya, maybe another defensive ammo would give me an extra .5 inches of stab but I KNOW my gun will work and that trumps everything else.

After I've used up my Golden Sabre I'll half to look around, maybe Critical Defense if it works. BUT FTX based ammo has a problem: FTX bullets are flat sided. I've had two 1911's (3") that just would NOT work with FTX based ammo.

So I'll probably test another brand or two. But reliability with bullets on target trumps any magic/voodoo bullet design every time.

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
I've talked to Korean War vets who described what a 45 Auto does when it hits somebody -- anywhere. They were using military FMJ ammo. If it can stop a charging Chinaman dead in his tracks it's good enough for me.
Instead of swallowing the tall tales you've heard whole and uncritically, you might find it useful and instructive to read the real results of real shooting incidents.
Look for information under the bylines of Massad Ayoob and Marvin Fackler, and for the Thompson-LaGarde Tests.

When I was a kid, I, too, was told that "a hit anywhere with a .45, even on the arm, will stop someone in his tracks, and also probably bowl him over."
Well, it just isn't so.

FMJ .45 hits, anywhere, will not "stop a charging Chinaman dead in his tracks."
Or anybody else, for that matter.

If you need a sure and quick stop, you need to make accurate upper-body hits.
And sometimes, even that doesn't work...even with .45 bullets.

Reactions: denner

·
Registered
201 Posts
Right on Steve,.....I get awful tired of the tales of "lightning bolt hits, that bowl a man over....blah blah blah." Real world
data is what is required on any type of stopping power. Knowledge is power.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Right on Steve,.....I get awful tired of the tales of "lightning bolt hits, that bowl a man over....blah blah blah." Real world
data is what is required on any type of stopping power. Knowledge is power.
I was in Academy one day and asked the clerk if he had any Cor-Bon 200 gr. 45 acp. He said no, but he pulled out a box of HydroShoks (sp) and told me to buy these because they were the best defensive round ever! I looked at him and said, "Oh yeah? How many people have you shot with them?" We didn't talk much after that, although he did say he would never shoot anybody.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Must've been a beautiful sight. Nothing better than a dead *****.

·
Registered
4,611 Posts
Instead of swallowing the tall tales you've heard whole and uncritically, you might find it useful and instructive to read the real results of real shooting incidents.
Look for information under the bylines of Massad Ayoob and Marvin Fackler, and for the Thompson-LaGarde Tests.

When I was a kid, I, too, was told that "a hit anywhere with a .45, even on the arm, will stop someone in his tracks, and also probably bowl him over."
Well, it just isn't so.

FMJ .45 hits, anywhere, will not "stop a charging Chinaman dead in his tracks."
Or anybody else, for that matter.

If you need a sure and quick stop, you need to make accurate upper-body hits.
And sometimes, even that doesn't work...even with .45 bullets.
Especially if someone is all doped up on whatever. They may not even realize that they were hit and still have enough time to keep coming at you.

·
Registered
66 Posts
As my wife was giving birth to my third child the ER was below our room. The nurse rushed in and looked out the window. They brought in a man who was gutt shot with a 1911/45acp five times. I read in the newspaper a day after he lived. I got those Speer 200gr soup bowl sized jhp bullets and loaded them to the max for my 1911 ccw.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I"ve fed the 3 full size 1911's I've owned ever type of bullet I could find, lead, semi wad, FJM, XTP, Ball, etc. and they all ate them just fine. My 4" Commander that I carry hasn't been offered the same menu but worked just fine with the Remington Golden Sabre and XTP home loads just fine too.

The ONLY problems I've ever had was with a pair of 3" 1911's who didn't like XTP bullets. I think it was the XTP's flat sides that kept hanging up.

So to the OP: Never listen to that guy in the gun shop again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I may try the Corbon 185, I tested 6 or 7 different brands in my LW Commander and the Corbon 165 was just too snappy with marginal accuracy, I was surprised.. Winchester Silvertip worked good but the best and most accurate has been old Supervel 190gr Jhp. There is no guaranteed super bullet that's works in all, you have to try and find what works best in yours.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Supporting Member
5,657 Posts
I may try the Corbon 185, I tested 6 or 7 different brands in my LW Commander and the Corbon 165 was just too snappy with marginal accuracy, I was surprised.. Winchester Silvertip worked good but the best and most accurate has been old Supervel 190gr Jhp. There is no guaranteed super bullet that's works in all, you have to try and find what works best in yours.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
The lighter grain 165 defense bullet , will have a quick snappy feel.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
The sales associate is is stuck in the 50s or 60s. Back when people were turning Dad's GI pistols into match guns, there were feed issues with match ammo. Most modern 1911s will feed most available ammo. While there can be the odd exception, modern HP SD ammo has been designed to feed well. Look at some, they are all fairly round in shape. Similarly, most modern 1911s are manufactured with more than simply RN ammo in mind. Match guns are expected to function correctly with SWC ammo. A modern JHP SD round isn't going to pose much of a challenge.

That said, any SD ammo you purchase must still be checked to ensure that they do, in fact, feed & function correctly.

I carry Winchester Ranger T, 230 gr JHPs in my Dan Wesson CCO. They run just as good as RN practice ammo for me.
Yep, what he said😀

21 - 40 of 42 Posts