Handgun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I picked up my 1911 at the LGS I asked about any defensive ammo in .45 and the associate that was helping me advised me to not use defensive ammo in my 1911 because 1911 weren't made to use the flatter hollow point ammo and to only be used with ball ammo.

While I'm sure defensive ammo will cycle successfully, is it recommending due to this ^^?? What brand of defensive ammo are you all using with your 1911s?

·
Registered
463 Posts
My Colt will eat anything I put in it so far. My Sig 1911 will do most flat nosed ammo better than round nose ball ammo I load a little to long. If you want round profiled defensive ammo try Federal Premium Guard Dog, Shooting Federal Guard Dog .45 Expansion test - YouTube. I have hydo shoks in mine right now. Also check out POW"r"ball ammo that has a round profile.

On of the guys that shoots USPSA with me has a Springfield RO and he shoots Semi wadcutters and has no ammo related issues with it.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
11,051 Posts
Any reasonably good gunsmith can "tweak" a 1911, so that it'll feed anything.
It has to do with a smooth feed ramp and well-adjusted magazine feed lips.
If yours doesn't reliably feed your chosen ammunition, take the gun, your magazines, and the chosen cartridges to a good pistolsmith, and ask him to make all three fit together properly.
(It isn't a job for an amateur.)

Example: My two competition 1911s will feed empty cases from any G.I. magazine. (That's supposed to be impossible.)

·
Registered
9,533 Posts
Any reasonably good gunsmith can "tweak" a 1911, so that it'll feed anything.
It has to do with a smooth feed ramp and well-adjusted magazine feed lips.
If yours doesn't reliably feed your chosen ammunition, take the gun, your magazines, and the chosen cartridges to a good pistolsmith, and ask him to make all three fit together properly.
(It isn't a job for an amateur.)

Example: My two competition 1911s will feed empty cases from any G.I. magazine. (That's supposed to be impossible.)
Not much recoil I bet...........:mrgreen:

·
Supporting Member
5,658 Posts
When I picked up my 1911 at the LGS I asked about any defensive ammo in .45 and the associate that was helping me advised me to not use defensive ammo in my 1911 because 1911 weren't made to use the flatter hollow point ammo and to only be used with ball ammo.

While I'm sure defensive ammo will cycle successfully, is it recommending due to this ^^?? What brand of defensive ammo are you all using with your 1911s?
How old was the salesman?
Hardball ammo for the 45 auto was always recommended years ago.
It is still a good reliability feed suggestion. There might be some info out there if googled. I remember using leadball ammo for target loads .Today's target loads look somewhat flat in profile.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
It isn't normal for a 1911 to feed empty cases but some do.It's cool when they do because it will generally feed aggressive hollowpoints like Speer's 200gr "flying ashtray",if you can feed that bullet anything will feed for the most part.

The major factors you need to feed a good hollowpoint is a properly cut frame ramp (Kimber had an issue with that),the 1/32" barrel underhang on the frameramp,and a throated barrel.Most guns produced today have the barrel throated,the specs on the rest vary sometimes.The release point of the mags are important also.As Steve refered to,original mags need tweaked often,but most aftermarket mags have an earlier release to help prevent the edge of the bullet from digging in on feeding.Wilson was the first to do this,and they work well,but they also don't control the round.Basically they throw the round up and rely on the extractor to grab it and control it.Most of the time it works,but if the spring starts to get weak the round can "float on release and get ahead of the extractor.While they often feed still,it raises hell with the extractor having to snap over the rim.A sign of this is your extractor losing tension shortly after it's been adjusted.If it isn't a Wilson type release point on the lips,the other causes are a worn out mag spring or oil on the follower/lips or lack of dimpled follower.Undimpled followers work just fine if the gun is sprung properly on the mainspring and recoil spring,but not all are.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Howdy,
My Norinco will chamber ANYTHING that you can stuff in the magazine.

For defensive ammo use any JHP ammo available to you. Down through the years I have carried everything from 185gr JHP, to 230gr +P, to the .45 Super 230gr JHP which would be considered a +P+ or hotter load, to plain 230gr ball ammo while in the military.

No matter what type of ammo I was carry in a .45acp I never felt undergunned like I do when I carry a 9mm.

Paul

·
Registered
471 Posts

The sales associate is is stuck in the 50s or 60s. Back when people were turning Dad's GI pistols into match guns, there were feed issues with match ammo. Most modern 1911s will feed most available ammo. While there can be the odd exception, modern HP SD ammo has been designed to feed well. Look at some, they are all fairly round in shape. Similarly, most modern 1911s are manufactured with more than simply RN ammo in mind. Match guns are expected to function correctly with SWC ammo. A modern JHP SD round isn't going to pose much of a challenge.

That said, any SD ammo you purchase must still be checked to ensure that they do, in fact, feed & function correctly.

I carry Winchester Ranger T, 230 gr JHPs in my Dan Wesson CCO. They run just as good as RN practice ammo for me.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Gold Dots are another good performer and feeder.I've been carrying Win PDX bonded fpr a while and have had no problem with those.Occasionally I hear of the Sabres not being reliable but it's usually traced back to the gun's problem.

The bullets that cause problems in 1911s are the ones with huge HP openings and those more of a truncated cone with HP,the edge of the cavity sometimes hangs up.You wouldn't think they would but do.Speer's old 200gr "flying ashtray" was notorious for it but if it did feed you could pretty much expect anything,even an empty case,to feed.

If your extractor is tuned and have good mags,feeding can be improved if you have hitches.The biggest problem is the feedramp,they aren't always right but work.If the bottom of the ramp isn't to the bottom of the slidestop window the ramp was undercut,seen quite a few.Highly polishing them is something top smiths do for a reason,it helps.Polishing the breechface also helps,the easier the round can slide into place the better.Most barrels are throated now but 2 other problems pop up.One is the edge of the chamber and ramp hasn't been broke,it needs to be rounded but without exposing more unsupported case.The bottom of the hood should also have a 45degree chamfer roughly 1/2 the hood thickness.The other is a 3 point jamb.The cause is overcut lower lugs that allow the barrel to move foward when the round hits the barrel.Most barrels are overcut here to avoid barrel bump,except Kimber.Most are quite serviceable but some just get cut too much,whereas Kimber doesn't go far enough.I've seen Kimbers crash the lugs into the slidestop so much it flattens out the radius of the lug and peens material into the link opening.I suppose one day they'll figure out how to properly build a 1911.

One more rarer problem is a low sitting mag.It isn't uncommon for the first few rounds to nosedive feeding,and a low sitting mag will dump it into the bottom of the ramp cut,really bad when the ramp is shallow to begin with.If it isn;t an issue with the slot in the mag,which it normally isn't,usually the release shelf is cast or machined too low or the frame hole is just off enough.George at EGW designed a release that holds the mag .020" higher to cure this and is the easiest and cheapest cure.

·
Registered
56 Posts
There is nothing wrong with FMJ's. Raise your hand if you wouldn't mind getting hit by a 230 gr. railroad train. :rolleyes:

For defensive use, I use Speer Gold Dot 230 gr. HP's & Lawman the rest of the time.

·
Supporting Member
5,658 Posts
There is nothing wrong with FMJ's. Raise your hand if you wouldn't mind getting hit by a 230 gr. railroad train. :rolleyes:

For defensive use, I use Speer Gold Dot 230 gr. HP's & Lawman the rest of the time.
I actually like the fmj 45acp, greater penetration then a hollow point. Better feeding reliability.Also I f there was a damaged hollow point, in your mag, it might cause a failure. people who use hollow points for self defense should examine the bullet as they would the rest of the gun.
Earlier times it was recommended to use hardball ammo in all semi auto's, they were just better feeders.

Back in the 70's early 80's a very lot, of people who carried , carried revolvers, we just did not trust the autofeeders. TODAY is different.
My first auto carry was a colt government I bought in the early 80"s. never an issue. I trusted that auto feeder. My buddies were buying them auto feeders
the smith n Wesson model 39/59 9mm, beretta 92 double stack,, here in ny was ok, imagine that, until the liberals started making laws.( now there telling what kind of spaghetti not to eat, different subject ) Da/Sa was becoming popular in an auto. Everyone seemed to really like that option in a self defense handgun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
On my 9mm CC SA XDS I try to find the best expanding bullet available to make up for the size (I like Hornaday's 134 grain Critical Duty) But the 45 loaded with 230 grain ball is an entirely different animal. I've talked to some Korean War vets who described the effect a .45 slug had on a charging Chinaman. I'm pretty comfortable with the standard FMJ.

·
Registered
635 Posts
The 230 Hydra Shoks work really well and so do the Gold Dots. Shoot 3 mags through your gun and if you get 1 FTF then look for something else. I personally would shoot more but that would give you an idea if your gun will work with the given ammo. I have the Corbon Powerball and I use them at home because I don't want to go through somebody and a wall too. A mozambique drill will make anybody fall.

·
Registered
260 Posts
The 1911 Is Able To Shoot HP And +P.

I started using SilverTip 185 grain right out of the chute, in my Colt 1911 .45 Auto. That was 35 years ago, and with no troubles. Heck now-a-days, the choices are multiplied & better. The guy was yammering, and doesn't know current realities.

Try something like this, the Golden Saber, it has about 530 foot pounds of ME. And if you fire it regularly, install an 18 pound recoil spring from Wolff.
Rem +P.jpg

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts