Handgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In other threads it has been mentioned that taking a handgun out that hasn’t been shot in a while is like buying a new handgun in one way or another.

I’m now trying to decide what handgun I want to take to the range Along with what I already KNOW I’ll be taking.

I recently got small handgun primers again after almost two years of being out of them. So, I have worked up. Four different .38 Special loads to try in the Snubby revolvers. But I only made 20-30 of each load, so that won’t take long to find out what I need to know about each load.

I could take some .22s along and could choose from my:
Ruger Mkii
Beretta 21a
Ruger Single Six

I could stick with other “snubby” handguns:
Glock 26
Beretta 21a
Ruger LCP

i could go with Service sized handguns
Fusion or Springfield 1911s
Sig 220 or 226
Beretta Px4 full size
CZ 75 or Sp01

Range sessions over the last couple of years with ammo, shortages have held me to only taking carry guns to the range to stay practiced.
S&W 442, S&W 640, Beretta Px4 compact, CZ P07, Walther P99AS.

Any thoughts on what you guys/gals would want to hear about in a range report?

I may try to do follow up on my last rage session where I ran the Snub nosed revolvers in a modified version of the Old Bakersfield Police Department qualification course. I may modify the course of fire more to include weak hand shooting.

I could try also running the same course head to head with a snubby revolver and another carry gun or service sized gun and see what the results are like.

· Registered
3,279 Posts
Well, here's my range report for the day. Took that "new to me" Taurus Model 85, my Hi Point C9 (has not been shot in over a year), and my Taurus GX4. All guns performed 100%, but the "operator" had some issues. In my defense, the cold and wind did not help one bit...my hands were blocks of ice, by the time I was done.

Had fun, despite the cold!

· Administrator
14,313 Posts
In other threads it has been mentioned that taking a handgun out that hasn’t been shot in a while is like buying a new handgun in one way or another.

I’m now trying to decide what handgun I want to take to the range Along with what I already KNOW I’ll be taking.

I recently got small handgun primers again after almost two years of being out of them. So, I have worked up. Four different .38 Special loads to try in the Snubby revolvers. But I only made 20-30 of each load, so that won’t take long to find out what I need to know about each load.

I could take some .22s along and could choose from my:
Ruger Mkii
Beretta 21a
Ruger Single Six

I could stick with other “snubby” handguns:
Glock 26
Beretta 21a
Ruger LCP

i could go with Service sized handguns
Fusion or Springfield 1911s
Sig 220 or 226
Beretta Px4 full size
CZ 75 or Sp01

Range sessions over the last couple of years with ammo, shortages have held me to only taking carry guns to the range to stay practiced.
S&W 442, S&W 640, Beretta Px4 compact, CZ P07, Walther P99AS.

Any thoughts on what you guys/gals would want to hear about in a range report?

I may try to do follow up on my last rage session where I ran the Snub nosed revolvers in a modified version of the Old Bakersfield Police Department qualification course. I may modify the course of fire more to include weak hand shooting.

I could try also running the same course head to head with a snubby revolver and another carry gun or service sized gun and see what the results are like.
I used to have several P99s. They shoot amazingly well - especially in SA mode. I just always hated that "hump" on the rear backstrap. I always wished they would come out with a P99 with the PP( grip. They do actually make such a gun, but it has never been imported into the USA

I'd be interested in hearing how you do with the 226 or the Springfield 1911s.

· Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, here's my range report for the day. Took that "new to me" Taurus Model 85, my Hi Point C9 (has not been shot in over a year), and my Taurus GX4. All guns performed 100%, but the "operator" had some issues. In my defense, the cold and wind did not help one bit...my hands were blocks of ice, by the time I was done.

Had fun, despite the cold!
Looks like the Little 85 is hitting pretty much where you point it.

· Registered
5,421 Posts
I know beforehand what I am going to take, what drills I want to run, and why. I don't just go there and punch paper. My targets are three different sizes of paper plates and two different sizes of plain index cards. The target holders at the range I attend can be "programmed" to flip from face to edge presentation however many times you wish and for how long you want a given presentation. Makes it very interesting to run different drills you have made up.

· Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know beforehand what I am going to take, what drills I want to run, and why. I don't just go there and punch paper. My targets are three different sizes of paper plates and two different sizes of plain index cards. The target holders at the range I attend can be "programmed" to flip from face to edge presentation however many times you wish and for how long you want a given presentation. Makes it very interesting to run different drills you have made up.
That is generally how I go as well. I pretty much know what drills I want to run the snubby revolvers through, and I’ve got hand loads to try out and evaluate. Just looking at options for something else to take along just for grins. I do sometimes go to the range and shoot for the pleasure of just shooting some small groups.

· Registered
110 Posts
Buy another style of target.

I shoot the same basic handguns each time and have a rotation schedule for other handguns.
I shoot what I can -- if my arthritis acted up, I shoot revolvers; if not, then, pistols.
-- if my grandson is with me, I shoot any and every thing (he can carry a lot); if not, only two handguns and maybe rental pistols
I shoot what is available -- .22lr when supplies are 9mm and 38spec are hard to find at my price

But, with my normal routine, I vary target because I find they have different purposes. Those with the 6 circulars are good when learning a new firearm; Big Todd (lunging zombie) is good for more enjoyable shooting. My all-time favorite is the hostage target (prep behind the innocent).

· Administrator
14,313 Posts
Yesterday, I took my son shooting. He shot his Buckmark agin, and I took my two carry guns again... My 4" and 3.1" Performance Center Shield Pluses.

I have taken just these guns the last few trips. These are my favorite carry guns i have owned over the past 30 years. For whatever reason, the accuracy is just there. I am surprised at how well I shoot the 3" one.

I like to get in practice with what I carry. Usually, I have my fun guns to shoot, and then my carry guns. I have never had them be the same gun before, and I have owned 3 digits worth of guns over the past 30 years...

· Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ended up taking:

S&W 442.
Taurus 856
Glock 26
Sig 226 Enhanced Elite
Beretta 21a

Ran the snubby revolvers and Glock 26 through my modified version of the old BPD qual course.

With the Sig and little Beretta it was mostly just practicing DA/SA transitions and target to target transitions.

I’ll do a separate range report later after I unpack and get some pics.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts