Handgun Forum banner

Compact or full size???

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  SouthernBoy 
#1 ·
I have a S&W M&P 2.0 with a 4.25" barrel. I've seen this pistol referred to as both a compact and a full-sized handgun. What, in your opinion, is the proper designation?

I only ask this because in some holster company's drop-down menus, the pistol designation has to be verified before ensuring the proper holster is delivered.

Pop

#2 · (Edited)
I have a S&W M&P 2.0 with a 4.25" barrel. I've seen this pistol referred to as both a compact and a full-sized handgun. What, in your opinion, is the proper designation?

I only ask this because in some holster company's drop-down menus, the pistol designation has to be verified before ensuring the proper holster is delivered.

Pop
It's listed as a full size gun. The only difference between most but maybe not all compact and full size guns of the same make/model is the barrel and grip lengths. In other words a holster for the compact gun will work for both only the barrel will stick out from the bottom of the holster when using it with a full size gun. Likewise you can use the holster for a full size gun with the compact version except there'll be some dead space at the bottom of the holster.

#7 ·
Now-a-days... When a company sells the same gun in various sizes... Like Glock or the M&P series... They call the 4" ones a "compact."

Ones smaller than that are usually "subcompacts". And then the bigger ones are the "fullsize" ones...
Yeah, but we both know that toting around a four inch barrel pistol with 15+ rounds on board, really don't feel like "compact" by the end of the day! At least for me anyways.

#5 · (Edited)
The easiest way for me to qualify the size of a pistol, i.e. a semi-auto handgun, is to use certain quintessential Glock products, specifically the gen3 models, as an example. The Glock 17 is classed as a full size pistol with its 4.5" barrel, rounded, and its 17-round magazine capacity. Glock calls its model 19 a compact pistol and its model 26 a subcompact pistol. These examples work well for me.

#11 ·
My SA Garrison with 5" barrel is full size. My DW Vigil with a 4.25" is a commander. My G19 is a compact. My Shield .45 is a subcompact.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.