Handgun Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are excited to announce that we are live on our new forum platform!

It’s been a long time coming. Let’s face it. Sometimes older forum technology lags behind other parts of the internet. Although seeing the same format for a long time is comforting, the member experience shouldn’t include dealing with outdated, unsafe, slow software.

The transition to a new platform will never be 100% smooth but the days of dealing with out of date forum software are over. We have teams dedicated to building a world-class community for you. The development has been steady with regular software releases since May 2019. Asking members for feedback and coming up with ideas for improvement is what we want.

Speed and Reliability Are Key
No one should have to wait for information. This site has been built to be much faster and more reliable, period.

New Homepage Experience
Our algorithm will serve a personal customized feed based on your prior engagement with content on the site. If you’ve liked and or commented, or are following certain topics that are of interest to you, similar content will appear at the top of the homepage.

Search
We have introduced new search algorithms, powered by an industry-leading AI platform, to help you find information faster. We plan to roll out new features to continue improving search, and to power many additional areas of the forum.

Due to the volume of content, our search platform may take some time to complete indexing over the first few days after migrating. During this process, you may see a limited number of posts until indexing has been completed. We appreciate your patience.

Finding Your Way Around
We have made the design clean and simple to use. Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts. On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics.

Clicking the list icon next to “NEW” will bring you to the full forum listing.

Clicking your avatar will give you a drop-down menu for all things related to your account.

You can also navigate more by clicking the 3 vertical dots.

Dark Mode
We have introduced Dark Mode. One of our favorite features allows you to access the site with a power-saving, and easier on the eyes dark mode. You can access it in the drop-down menu under the 3 vertical dots.

Save Bookmarks
Now you can save your favorite discussion threads and posts! Bookmarks are a handy way to remember and easily find great content or stuff you want to read later.

We also wanted to make it easier for new users to understand the lingo of forums. We have cleaned up various language to more commonly recognized phrases including:
  • Following - Thread subscriptions, and Watched are now known as Following
  • Conversations - Private Messages or PMs are now conversations and can be accessed from the user avatar drop-down in the main navigation
  • Showcase - Showcase is designed for users to "showcase" items/projects through the use of uploaded images, text descriptions and custom content categories. It’s a way to visually and textually provide detailed information on the content you wish to share. The showcase would be similar to a catalog, whereas the gallery would be like a photo album. It can be accessed from the drop-down menu with the 3 dots.
Take a tour and look around! Check out the Help section for some quick FAQs about the new platform.

Please keep all feedback, questions, concerns, requests for help, etc. regarding the new platform right here in this Feedback thread. This will help us make sure not to miss a request for help and also let us pass along your thoughts to our Product team. The Admins and I will be here to help along the way taking note of your comments.

- Community Support

·
Registered
449 Posts
And,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,now it looks just like 4 other forums I belong to. This format must be popular.
Don't take this wrong, I like the format, it is easy to navigate, and learn.
People will whine because they don't like change, and IR1, but this one is pretty nice for the end user. I hope it is for the working end as well.

One favor, if you can. The two tone screen, click the background to the next darker shad, maybe two, It will still be plenty bright, but much easier on the eyes and better to differenciate the background from the post window. I hope that makes since.

Reactions: Admin

·
Registered
449 Posts
LOL, I seem to be the only one who has noticed the change. Did I get to be a BETA tester? These things usually dominate forums for a few days to weeks.
I still like it, though.

Reactions: Admin

·
Administrator
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heya @LostinTexas

Thanks for the feedback, you should be familiar with the software by now.

If any others have questions please check out the FAQ tutorials below:

Jeff

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
LOL, I seem to be the only one who has noticed the change. Did I get to be a BETA tester? These things usually dominate forums for a few days to weeks.
I still like it, though.
I noticed the change, but was waiting to see how everything worked out.;)
I think the admins did a great job with the upgrades!
I even bought a premium membership today.

Reactions: pic

·
Registered
449 Posts
I noticed the change, but was waiting to see how everything worked out.;)
I think the admins did a great job with the upgrades!
I even bought a premium membership today.
I thought it odd there was no chatter, whining, moaning, gloating, and the like. Usually these things, even when expected cause all sorts of chaos for a few days to weeks.
Like I said, I'm on 4 other forums that use the platform. 3 of them look just like this one. Nice program, easy to figure out. Pretty good on features.
The admins seemed to roll this out with little to no fanfare or glitches. I'm sure that is a feat in itself.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I thought it odd there was no chatter, whining, moaning, gloating, and the like. Usually these things, even when expected cause all sorts of chaos for a few days to weeks.
Like I said, I'm on 4 other forums that use the platform. 3 of them look just like this one. Nice program, easy to figure out. Pretty good on features.
The admins seemed to roll this out with little to no fanfare or glitches. I'm sure that is a feat in itself.
I too noticed little to no issues from members here. Good job admins/mods!
I am used to this format from other forums and have no issues with it.
Change is good sometimes. My old eyes and aging memory is glad to have the same features as my other forum(s)...
I am glad to see GW, LostinTexas, desertman and others here after the change. Give it a fair attempt and it will workout for you. Ask questions and report any issues.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
A big congratulations to our friends Shipwreck and DJ Niner on their promotions' to "Super Moderator"!👍

·
Supporting Member
5,606 Posts
I understand the mail is running slow at times.
Waiting for my trophies to arrive. ( cleared off some shelf space )
Tracking # please.

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
I understand the mail is running slow at times.
Waiting for my trophies to arrive. ( cleared off some shelf space )
Tracking # please.
You get trophies? Hell, I am just happy to still be welcome here!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, I can post a pic without a image hosting site!
However...
Sucks, just like all the other forums that use this software.
All, ALL, the other forums that have gone to this have the same issues...I believe the same problem drives those issues, as well as choosing this software.
I don't know what the "problem" is but it looks the SAME everywhere that....LOOKS the same as here.
One major Lefty troll, a squad of lefty a-holes to go with, ephing up any serious social/political discussion, and an admin that positively, absolutely, won't moderate out a disruption.
Just like all the other gun forums that use the same software; the ones that don't use this same software, don't have the troll problem.

Joe

·
Supporting Member
5,606 Posts
Once you get more comfortable navigating the site it'll become second nature.
You'll be good to go.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
I have noticed that the "Mark Forums Read" radio button only appears on the "What's New" page.
There are some posts/threads that I follow and check new postings, but like to be able to mard the rest as "Read".
Maybe Put the Mark Forums Read buttons in some other sections as well?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,312 Posts
I have noticed that the "Mark Forums Read" radio button only appears on the "What's New" page.
There are some posts/threads that I follow and check new postings, but like to be able to mard the rest as "Read".
Maybe Put the Mark Forums Read buttons in some other sections as well?
Thanks
It's labeled slightly differently, but it should be there in every forum. Screenshot example:

·
Super Moderator
5,312 Posts
Just like all the other gun forums that use the same software; the ones that don't use this same software, don't have the troll problem.
That is a load of BS and you (should) know it. Trolls have nothing to do with the software package a website is running.
One larger website where I also Moderate has been through three software upgrades in the last decade, and the Trolls were there before, during, and after each upgrade.

Point out three actual rule violations on this site caused by the factors you stated, and I'll personally take care of them within 24 hours.
But be aware that "Not agreeing with everything red442joe says" is not a violation of the rules, OR trolling.

·
Registered
5,846 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts