Handgun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all,

I hope everyone is fairing well through the pandemick.

I've been thing about purchasing a Charter Arms 38 special in stainless finish and would like opinions on whether it's a decent revolver to have in ones collection.

I admit is had one in my battery long ago but had some issues that was sent back to them many times. After not being satisfied I decided to give it up for something else.

After viewing You Tube I notice they appear to have made some improvements that's gained my interest once again.

Can anyone verify they now use a barrel that's not a two piece anymore? It appears to be a one piece that's now machined or is it now a casted barrel? My barrel had a glued barrel shroud that would come loose during my shooting secession. The other issue was if one wiggles the cylinder a little the cylinder stop would break lose and you can rotate the cylinder to the next notch. After viewing this area the "Stop" is a rather thin blade that appears to be weak instead of a Smith and Wesson , Colt or Ruger is more of a solid bolt compared to the meager looking blade of the Charter. These were the two main reasons I sold it in the first place.

Please let me know what you think,

Clerk

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I’ve had a couple of them over the years and never had any problems. That being said, I never shot them all that much either.

·
Supporting Member
5,698 Posts
I only had experience with a 1980s 38.
I would stay away unless they improved the 38..
Funny thing is ,,they built a decent 44 spl, bulldog, aka' Son of Sam. Revolver.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Slowalkintexan,

I remember those from long ago but couldn't afford one cuz I was still in college. They looked odd but worked fine as I hear.

This revolver I wasnis nothing more than the 38 special in the 2" barrel version. Mainly for my collection of 38's but also want it for a house gun or take outside in the night time when I hear someone trying to steal my cars. I live kinda out side the boarder line of the bad side of town.

Clerk

·
Registered
137 Posts
You mention “wanting one for your collection”, if it is for collecting I would look for a used vintage S&W in great shape for the same money. It would be a much better gun and most are Collectable.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Clerk, ‘Collecting’ can mean just wanting more than one, perhaps a matched set, or all different barrel lengths or finishes,,,,,whatever,,,,it does not have to mean collecting for monetary value. I like Charter Arms,,,,and have several 38 spl.,,,
They are good guns, will made, solid,,,,,,and I’m thinking,,, not sure,, have to go look,,, don’t they have a solid side plate rather than a screwed on one??

Keep buying Charter’s.....!!!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Slowalkintexan,

I like to collect 38 specials in the 2" form no matter the size! If and when I re-purchase my Charter it proves to me their well made I don't mind getting another that's slightly different compared to the other. The main problem is California laws and what they allow into the State on the list.

Right now all I want is the stainless steel version to start out.

Clerk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello to all,

I hope everyone is fairing well through the pandemick.

I've been thing about purchasing a Charter Arms 38 special in stainless finish and would like opinions on whether it's a decent revolver to have in ones collection.

I admit is had one in my battery long ago but had some issues that was sent back to them many times. After not being satisfied I decided to give it up for something else.

After viewing You Tube I notice they appear to have made some improvements that's gained my interest once again.

Can anyone verify they now use a barrel that's not a two piece anymore? It appears to be a one piece that's now machined or is it now a casted barrel? My barrel had a glued barrel shroud that would come loose during my shooting secession. The other issue was if one wiggles the cylinder a little the cylinder stop would break lose and you can rotate the cylinder to the next notch. After viewing this area the "Stop" is a rather thin blade that appears to be weak instead of a Smith and Wesson , Colt or Ruger is more of a solid bolt compared to the meager looking blade of the Charter. These were the two main reasons I sold it in the first place.

Please let me know what you think,

Clerk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello to you.
It has been some time since your post but I have just joined today.

I have had a couple Charter Arms'.357 Mag Pugs and also one of their .357 Target Bulldogs in the 4.2" barrel (stainless) which I have carried as a duty or backup weapon in my security work. All have functioned very well for me.. And if you are interested, the .357 Target Bulldog I have up for sale. If interested call or text me.

Kind regards,

Kevin

·
Registered
434 Posts
I have three Charter Arms revolvers.

Vertebrate Air gun Trigger Mammal Revolver

The .44 Bulldog is (I believe) of 80's vintage,,,
Brutal to shoot but does what it's meant to do.

The .38 Undercover (3-4 years old) was my lady friend's gun,,,
She hated the trigger saying it was too hard and gritty,,,
I traded a Taurus 9mm for the revolver.

I took the .38 to the range and the trigger was gritty and heavy,,,
But became noticeably better after only 50 rounds,,,
My friend only fired one cylinder through it.

It's a very adequate revolver,,,
Not as slick as my vintage S&W 36,,,
But it is just as accurate and reliable for me.

The .22 is just a normal little shooter,,,
Not as slick as my S&W 63 but perfectly serviceable.

JMHO

Aarond

1 - 13 of 13 Posts