Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not even sure this is the right place to ask this, I bought a Sig p320 subcompact, now I'm seeing that the p320 is having drop test failures, and now it's discontinued, that's been bothering me, do I even want to carry this weapon? if someone has any knowledge or insight about this failure, is it safe or should I look at another gun?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I never try to go with the "New Kid on the Block" but I like to stick with tried . true and proven ... S&W J-Frame 38 Special 2 inch barrel . Two friends who retired from our local Baton Rouge LA. police dept . both showed me what they carried ...both carried J-frame S&W , one an all steel , the other an Air-Weight both in 38 special and both had hammers (not hammerless) I asked them and both had reasons for that choice . It may not be the latest and greatest but my S&W model 637 Airweight has been a constant companion since 2004 . The incidence of "hammer snagging " has been greatly exagerated ... it is not a problem ...and if you need to make an accurate long shot the SA feature is greatly appreciated ... you would be amazed at the small things I can hit at 50 yards with this little shooter ! Both advised me not to do any spring swaps ... use the factory weight springs for reliability ... these old boy's had been around and knew a few things ... I took their advice .
Gary

·
Registered
684 Posts
Shoe Sky Hat Fedora People in nature

Simple answer, don't drop the thing. :rolleyes:
The P320 was an Army love child that has the problems you describe, and not sure it has ever been addressed since Sig started out denying it existed. IIRC, there was a voluntary recall for some sort of fix. Maybe, I learned to hate Sig along with 9MM a long time ago. Contact Sig and ask if there is a remedy.
Welcome to the mayhem. I hope you find a good carry piece. There are an abundance of them, so shop, read reviews, ask the hard questions. This place is head and shoulders above what I consider common internet, but opinions swing from mild to wild, so take a lot of things with a grain of salt.
Happy Researching.

Reactions: gwpercle

·
Registered
267 Posts
Is your gun new or did you buy used???
If new- I'd forget what people are saying about it and move on with my new gun.
If an older used gun???....then I might give it some thought. Apparently there was an issue with the original P320.

·
Administrator
13,134 Posts
Interesting to see this topic here today - when a similar topic is going on here:

Worth a read.

Personally, I don't want a Sig 320. I know some members here have numerous ones. But, Sig handled the issue VERY poorly, IMHO. They even made their change to the military guns, but continued to sell the unmodified guns to the public. And, instead of doing an official recall, it was an "upgrade" instead.

Since the "upgrade," there are STILL reports of the guns going off on their own. WHENEVER there is a report of this, one does admittedly default to the more probable cause of someone/something pulling the trigger. But, there are enough reports of this happening, along with lawsuits, that I personally wouldn't own or carry one. Plus, I don't like how Sig, as a company, handled the matter from the start.

On the flip side - some here will disagree with me and still own/buy the model. That's a personal decision.

·
Administrator
13,134 Posts
The issue seems to be the weight and design of the trigger. Sig doesn't use an added trigger safety lever/tab, like many other brands do (S&W M&P, Glock, etc)

There are a ton of youtube videos on the issue that I have watch in the past

·
Administrator
13,134 Posts
If I have time later, I'll look for some youtube videos that illustrate the problem. But, they are easy to find via a search (for the original poster).

With all the other polymer guns out there, I've decided to skip past the 320 series.

·
Administrator
13,134 Posts
Speak of the devil... Story from today:

MILWAUKEE —
With three documented cases in two years of a Milwaukee police officer's gun apparently firing without anyone pulling the trigger, the Wisconsin Fraternal Order of Police recommends police departments across the state shelve the controversial firearm out of an abundance of caution.
In a memo dated July 30, 2020, the department range master, a sergeant, questioned why, in a conference call with officials from Sig Sauer, the gun maker representatives avoided answering directly whether they could guarantee the guns would not fire unless the trigger was pulled.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Reactions: Shipwreck

·
Registered
684 Posts
Gotta be more to this story than we are hearing..... I can not imagine Sig not dealing with this??? The potential liability costs are immeasurable against the cost of a recall. It doesn't add up.
Welcome to Sig. They ain't all that and a bag of chips as a company.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I bought a Sig product recently. Had an issue that I was told was common. Sig CS gaslighted me regarding the problem like they were unaware.
I found them to be people who CYA and disregard the customer. No more Sigs for this cat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not even sure this is the right place to ask this, I bought a Sig p320 subcompact, now I'm seeing that the p320 is having drop test failures, and now it's discontinued, that's been bothering me, do I even want to carry this weapon? if someone has any knowledge or insight about this failure, is it safe or should I look at another gun?
Pre BLM and all the various riots .. Summer carry was a Shield and winter carry was a Glock 19 .. Post all that junk .. Summer carry went to a Glock 26. Winter did not change.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The 320 SUB COMPACT was discontinued due to lack of demand. There were several overblown drop safe issues, however, each case has been proven unsubstantiated. If the 320 wasn't safe and fully functional, our armed services would not have adopted it. One "unintended firing" case was in the military. The new holsters had not been issued yet, and a soldier tried to holster a loaded 320 (M18) into a holster designed for a Beretta 92. Further, his error was compounded by his not using the safety on all of the military issued 320's (aka the M-17 or M-18.)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts