Handgun Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
yes, bt there is a huge difference between a range toy, and a self/home defense weapon.

sorry it was so short, but i just had to say it.
Myself I don't have any range toys. I practice with the guns that I carry and may have to depend on. What good is having a self/home defense weapon if you can't be assured that it will work 100% of the time?

Sorry it was so short, but i just had to say it.

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts
Myself I don't have any range toys. I practice with the guns that I carry and may have to depend on. What good is having a self/home defense weapon if you can't be assured that it will work 100% of the time?

I don't plan on being short or sorry,:rolleyes: but I just have to say it.;)
My G19 with the Ghost Evo Elite trigger system is very very close to the stock OEM trigger on my G34, The main difference is the Evo Elite trigger has NO overtravel and in turn has a shorter reset. The weight of the triggers are nearly identical. My recollection is that the Gen III G34 had +- 3.5# trigger pull from the factory while the G19 Gen III was set up with around 5.5# of pull.
Regardless, I shoot them both equally well and have no worries about safety with either gun.
Whoops! I nearly neglected to disparage those who choose to buy substandard guns and brag about the $150 they saved whilst throwing shade at the guys who buy QUALITY and only cry once.
Just kidding, I think it would be fun to see how many .380 rounds it takes to drop a skunk rather than using a single round of a proper defense cartridge.
Sarcasm? Perhaps?

·
Registered
123 Posts

my self defense gun(s) get to the range once per month. all others that i have, are for fun.

short and sweet, had to say it.

Reactions: Goldwing

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
my self defense gun(s) get to the range once per month. all others that i have, are for fun.

short and sweet, had to say it.
All of my guns I have for fun whether I'm going out into the desert target shooting, carrying any particular one or working on them. Even the one's that I own that serve no practical purpose other than I like them.

·
Super Moderator
12,387 Posts
Other than that Taran Tactical Glock I am waiting on, ALL my guns are for self defense. I changed my collection in years past, and am not really into range toys.

Years ago, it was the opposite. I had a ton of stuff, and only carried 1 or 2 of them...

So, I generally don't mess with triggers and such... (other than the factory D spring for Berettas, that I already mentioned).

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Other than that Taran Tactical Glock I am waiting on, ALL my guns are for self defense. I changed my collection in years past, and am not really into range toys.

Years ago, it was the opposite. I had a ton of stuff, and only carried 1 or 2 of them...

So, I generally don't mess with triggers and such... (other than the factory D spring for Berettas, that I already mentioned).
I've never changed my collection other than adding to it. It's now gotten to the point where I have all of the one's that I've ever wanted. Unless someone comes out with something new and exciting that's about it for me. I've gone into several different gun stores looking for something new and different but often walk out empty handed. My last gun was HK's VP 9 Long slide which I've wanted for a long time but never found any available until recently. So I didn't hesitate in buying it.

I don't know? If I had that Taran Tactical Glock I'd definitely carry it. That's one awesome looking Glock. You're tempting me in wanting to send one of mine out. Probably one of my G30's as I already have two of them a Gen 2 and a Gen 3. But I don't know if I'd want to wait that long or even if they do 45's? I really like my Shadow Systems MR918. I contacted them about making their version of a G30 .45. But it seems like they're only interested in making 9's? They just came out with a long slide version of their MR920 and a full size DR920. The MR918 is no longer being produced.

Next on my want list would be an HK VP 45 or even better yet a VP 45 SK. I'd even settle for a VP 40 SK. But I think that I'm gonna' have a helluva' long wait for one of those? 9's seem to be the rage nowadays with .45's and especially 40's falling out of favor. I recently added a stainless steel threaded barrel and compensator for my VP 9. For no reason other than it looks pretty cool. I already swapped out the trigger shoe for an all aluminum Lobos one. It doesn't change the factory weight, I just like the feel and looks of an all metal trigger.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
I don't plan on being short or sorry,:rolleyes: but I just have to say it.;)
My G19 with the Ghost Evo Elite trigger system is very very close to the stock OEM trigger on my G34, The main difference is the Evo Elite trigger has NO overtravel and in turn has a shorter reset. The weight of the triggers are nearly identical. My recollection is that the Gen III G34 had +- 3.5# trigger pull from the factory while the G19 Gen III was set up with around 5.5# of pull.
Regardless, I shoot them both equally well and have no worries about safety with either gun.
Whoops! I nearly neglected to disparage those who choose to buy substandard guns and brag about the $150 they saved whilst throwing shade at the guys who buy QUALITY and only cry once.
Just kidding, I think it would be fun to see how many .380 rounds it takes to drop a skunk rather than using a single round of a proper defense cartridge.
Sarcasm? Perhaps?
I have a very select and rather small group of handguns which I maintain in my primary carry stable. These comprise several Glocks (gen3's) and several M&P's. Every one of them has received mods. With the exception of the sights and the trigger springs, both Glocks contain Glock parts and the mods were done by me. Both of the M&P's have high quality after market parts. All of these guns are about as close to 100% reliable as they can be and all meet my own personal requirements for a carry gun. I have other carry guns in my secondary carry stable and they remain OEM stock.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Reason I carry stock pistol is if I ever had to use it I may not ever get it back. I lost a HK in a court case that was ran by a liberal judge. So stock glocks are built to run cheap and easily replaced.

Reactions: Budlight_909

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Reason I carry stock pistol is if I ever had to use it I may not ever get it back. I lost a HK in a court case that was ran by a liberal judge. So stock glocks are built to run cheap and easily replaced.
I don't know maybe it's just me? But if I ever had to shoot someone in self defense the last thing that I'd be concerned about is if or when I get the gun back.

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts
Reason I carry stock pistol is if I ever had to use it I may not ever get it back. I lost a HK in a court case that was ran by a liberal judge.
Your reasoning for carrying a stock pistol sounds like a dumbass padding a new post count.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Sounds like a good argument for carrying a Hi Point.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Your reasoning for carrying a stock pistol sounds like a dumbass padding a new post count.
I guess the same could be said about me. Only an asshat would make a post like this and accuse someone else of padding a post count. How many of your 3,xxx posts have been as useless as this one?

·
Premium Member
3,446 Posts
I guess the same could be said about me. Only an asshat would make a post like this and accuse someone else of padding a post count. How many of your 3,xxx posts have been as useless as this one?
Eight posts in one day on every subject recently posted. I think that would be padding.
If you want to check my record have at it. Ass hat? I don't think so.

·
Super Moderator
12,387 Posts
Eight posts in one day on every subject recently posted. I think that would be padding.
If you want to check my record have at it. Ass hat? I don't think so.
Let's calm it down please. And, I gotta say - he is entitled to his opinion. And, he is free to post on different threads. I am on just about every gun forum there is - and I jump around and post on many threads all within an hour sometimes. So what?

He is also free to give his own opinion. I do not necessarily agree Jester's view, but for a different reason.

I too refuse to carry a gun that has had any trigger work or major mods. But it is not for financial reasons. If a $2000 unmodified gun is my carry gun, and the gun saved my life - it did its job. If it gets taken or damaged while in police custody... That's life. I want the gun that I shoot the best, to get an edge in the crazy, unlikelihood I will need it one day. If it is expensive, it is expensive. So what.

But please lets cut down on the insults. Thanks

·
Registered
418 Posts
I sometimes change grips or sights on my carry guns but nothing else if they're reliable. Maybe Talon Grips, different grips or grip sleeves. Tritium-powered sights for night, fiber optic for day. I tend to experiment a lot more with my range guns. Trigger kits, springs, mods, etc.

Reactions: Jester560

·
Registered
338 Posts
When I was still carrying a Glock the only mods or changes I made were what I considered practical, based on problems I encountered while shooting.

Better sights for low light. Grip texture, because sweating in high humidity did give me some grip challenges With long strings of fire.

that was pretty much it. I mean, I did cut my G17 grip to get G19 mags to fit it, which only has a certain level of practicality. But other than that, factory parts.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts