Handgun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious...

Now that I'm getting pretty comfortable carrying after receivng my CCW. What is everyone carrying when it starts to get warmer outside?

I'm carrying my 92FS at the moment, but I'm not going to be able to for spring and summer, I'm wondering if my cougar will be to large. I guess I need to go shopping for new clothes... :?

Looks like XL and baggy will be the new "in" for me....

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
Most of the time, I feel like my small compact Walther P99 is barely concealed in summer clothes. Good luck with that cougar. I've found it is grip length that is the issue when it comes to concealment, not necessarily barrel length.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shipwreck said:
Most of the time, I feel like my small compact Walther is barely concealed in summer clothes. Good luck with that cougar. I've found it is grip length that is the issue when it comes to concealment, not necessarily barrel length.
I just got back from Gander Mountain and they have a used Cougar 8040 mini... 499.00 with a 5% instant discount...

God help me! I may have to go back and get it...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Now you will find out why we have money and pocket pistols You will need lots of first to pay for your growing collection of 2nd.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've tried many pocket pistols, and I gotta tell you that the only one I still carry on occasion is the TomCat. All the rest were either not reliable, or just felt puny and weak in my hand. Most of the time I find a way to pack my Glock 26. The safety of my family and myself is too important to trust to a lesser (read Kel-Tec) firearm. Just my .02, of course.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well I'm carrying a Colt Mustang tonight Just got back from movies and China Mart. I see nothing wrong with a 380 my Mustang and PPK/S have both proven dependable. As a owner of a " lesser (read Kel-Tec) firearm"
2 of them in fact I have not experiance a problem from either one and have God for bid ,carried one. I used to bad mouth KT till I bought one. Mine have proved to be find little pistols with a warrenty& customer service, Beretta & Taurus should both take lessons from. I had my experance with Beretta warrenty not good I have a brand new Tarus at factory Their suppose to go bang when loaded not click. Been their 4 weeks so far still heard nothing. No more Taurus. for me .
Read earlier a guy said his Tomcat went 1200 rounds slide and frame both cracked Think I'll trust the lesser gun.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm still kicking myself for passing up a sweet 9mm Kahr at the last gun show. I ended up buying a Springfield 1911. It's an Officer's sized gun. I think I'm going to try hard and sell my KelTec P-11 before the end of the month because there's another gun show coming up in a couple weeks and I really want that Kahr now.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Js ,I was at CenterFire here in Ky today picking up ammo and a few other things. A guy was picing up one of the police trade cougar's they have for 300. This is first I had to check up close. Can Beretta make a thin pistol. Its like the 92, Tom cat about every Beretta I ve ever held is to thick. My 1911 45 Colts are thin compaired to a Beretta. I held the Cougar and grip to thick. This is the hardess part to conceal . I guess that why I like the 950BS and the 21A 's so much. Might be a mouse cailber but they carry nice.
I wish Beretta would make a nice thin single stack pistol In 9mm about the size of a Kahr. I would jump on in a min.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
michael t said:
Js ,I was at CenterFire here in Ky today picking up ammo and a few other things. A guy was picing up one of the police trade cougar's they have for 300. This is first I had to check up close. Can Beretta make a thin pistol. Its like the 92, Tom cat about every Beretta I ve ever held is to thick. My 1911 45 Colts are thin compaired to a Beretta. I held the Cougar and grip to thick. This is the hardess part to conceal . I guess that why I like the 950BS and the 21A 's so much. Might be a mouse cailber but they carry nice.
I wish Beretta would make a nice thin single stack pistol In 9mm about the size of a Kahr. I would jump on in a min.
Berettas are thick, unless you pick up a tomcat. Tomcats aren't as thick, but much smaller caliber. I'm carrying my Cougar now. It's a little easier to conceal if i'm wearing a light jacket in the evenings. I've been looking into a Kimber 1911 45 ACP compact. I may end up picking one up, It has a much thinner grip and should be a little easier to conceal.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have had experience with the Kel-Tecs. They really are a great concealed carry gun. My favorite is the P3AT (.380). You can carry this gun with any type of clothing, just order the belt clip when you order the gun. The first round of P3ATs produced did have a jamming problem because the ejector was too short. My Dad bought a used one with this problem. He sent it in and they replaced the extractor with the new standard extended extractor and polished the feed ramp for free, no questions asked. Very fast service as well. I have also shot their newer ones with the standard improvements, never any problems. I even know police officers that carry this weapon as a backup. I will be taking my CHL course this month and this will be my carry gun.

·
Registered
208 Posts
JS my friend take some measurements a Tom cat is as thick in grips as a 1911 or close to it. That what takes it out of pocket gun for me to thick in grip area. Mustang and PPK/S flat, KelTec p-32 can't find in pocket
Do think I don't like Beretta I do enjoy shooting them but not for carry..
My 11 year old daugther fired my 950BS other day has claimed for her own. Little girl plain deadly with it. Was shooting it better than the MKII Ruger I got so we could plink.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You can successfully conceal just about any handgun with the right holster and belt.
The belt is really important. It's got to be stiff enough not to allow the gun to sag.
Also, whether you're carrying in or out of the waistband, make sure your holster holds the butt of the gun in tight against your body as this is the part that prints the most.
I carry either a full size 1911 or a Glock 29 in shorts and a t-shirt with a Wilderness Tactical 5 stitch belt and a Comp-Tac CTAC IWB holster. Never been "made" with this setup. :wink:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree with 96 Brigadier about the Keltec with the belt clip. I carry one hooked in right front pocket (shirt out) and have no concealment problems.
BTW, I also use a belt clip from CDNN on a 1911, and it works well also.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
i carry a full size colt double eagle 45 acp year round. i am 5'8" weigh 160lb and don't have a problem with a loose shirt. fanny pack or vest

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Greetings...

Well, fortunetely, I'll carry with or without "permission" from the State...
concealed or not as it pleases me - a WE THE PEOPLE...

My Ruger P95dc - NOT really small, or light - it's somewhere within reach, either in it's weather proof bag, or on my hip - OPEN or concealed - depending on the weather... At the beach- obviously it's next to the wife - who is a better shot - though less apt to actually fire - though that has NOT been actually proven...

My question being - Why do you need permission from ANYONE else to carry? And don't give me the standard CRAP about LAW.....

You are either a slave who NEEDS permission, or a FREE man...

That settles that...

Oops...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am usually carrying an XD45 but when it's sweats/shorts and a tshirt, I carry an XD9 Service with a chopped to SC grip. My next one though will be a KelTec P3AT for the pocket.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have carried a Ruger KP97DC for several Summers without a problem. I am outside a lot and never had a problem with rust from sweat. I coat my CCW with Eezox and let it dry every 2 or 3 months. It looks new after years of use. The only other care it gets is a Boresnake run through after each shooting.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts