Handgun Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well.........I've been away from the computer quite a bit the last few days while I was vehicle shopping. In my opinion car shopping is only a little bit better than job hunting. Neither are high on my list! Knowing that I would be dealing with salesmen at dealerships, my stress level started out a little raised. Much to my supprise, ALL the sales "associates" I visited with were very nice, cooperative, NOT pushy, and generally answered all my questions without a lot of bulls**t extra useless information. I struck a deal today that I felt was very good. I do realize it's a "buyers" market right now, but I sure was supprised at the good treatment I got. Society never ceases to amaze me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ah the wonderful world of car shopping, Well I get to meet and see alot of car sales people because of my job, I make local TV commercials for alot of the dealerships in my area. So here is my input most of the large multi-brand dealerships all have well trained, easy to work with staffs. The out of them the mid sized dealerships are usually some of the best. What I look for is dealers with repeat customers 9 times out of ten if you buy something new you will use the warrenty service for something and that is where the true service comes in, if they do a good job and treat people well enough that they become a repeat customer usually you have found a good dealer....

What I stay away from:
anytime you walk on a lot and ask to look at a specific make of car and the saleman try's to sell you something else, it's time to walk off the lot.
Any lot that can finance anybody regaurdless of credit.

OK off the soap box Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
I've had several car dealers on probation over the years - 1 prev told me that the manufacturer pays the dealer some money for every car they sell. So, even if they sell U the car for invoice, don't listen to the salesmen telling U that they are "loosing money on the deal."

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If a dealership (or any other for-profit business) tells me they are selling me something "at cost" or they are "losing money", I place them in one of two categories; they are either lying or they are stupid. I ended up buying a Toyota Highlander. It's my wife's car and she is now happy and therefore, so am I. :)

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
Well, when I bought my last car, I researched it on the net. I knew what a "good" avg prive was for the car - There are sites out there that will tell U this. And, I knew the invoice price too.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what we did; check the prices, invoice (+ or -) and MSRP, check all the reviews from present owners, reviewers, service history of the dealers, etc. Then we go drive one a bit. After driving we changed our minds over what we initially intended to buy. The internet certainly takes a lot of sting out of it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Buying a car is like having your teeth pulled without pain killers.. Just my opinion..

Glad I have a company car.

W

·
Supporting Member - Legally Armed Scooter Trash
2,031 Posts
Ahh yes, If mama aint happy aint NOBODY happy........God Im glad Im divorced :-D :-D :-D

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Much to my suprise, it really was a very smooth transaction. Maybe the "buyers' market" has toned them down a little.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Charlie said:
Much to my suprise, it really was a very smooth transaction. Maybe the "buyers' market" has toned them down a little.
LOL, glad it went well for you. We just got a new to us car 2 weeks ago, we haven't owned a car in many years.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2400 said:
Charlie said:
LOL, glad it went well for you. We just got a new to us car 2 weeks ago, we haven't owned a car in many years.
2400, you haven't owned a car or a NEW car in many years?

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Charlie said:
2400 said:
Charlie said:
2400, you haven't owned a car or a NEW car in many years?
Yes, neither. :-D We have an F-350 crewcab and had 4 Jeeps, we're down to one now a 64 Willys Wagon. Our new to us car is an 83 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, perfect interior, everything works, 83K miles and gets 24 on the highway. Counting the 4 new tires I just put on it I've got $1100 in it.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
24 mpg is probably mucho better than what the 350 got! We sold a F250 V-10 in order to get the newer vehicle. It was wonderful, but talk about a gas hog!!!! :x

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Charlie said:
24 mpg is probably mucho better than what the 350 got! We sold a F250 V-10 in order to get the newer vehicle. It was wonderful, but talk about a gas hog!!!! :x
We kept the truck, we'll use it for hunting, camping, puling the trailer, ect. It's kind of nice having a car again. 8)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts