Handgun Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh crap, here we go! I found CBD gummies after reading reviews stating that it helped with insomnia. I've battled insomnia 30 years & the cure is killing me. Literally. 100 mg of Quetiapine gave me insulin resistance meaning my body thinks it starving so it stores calories instead of burn them for energy meaning I'm tired & 70 pounds overweight. Though I make myself go to the gym daily & eat about 1,400 calories. That plus trazodone gets me 4 hours of sleep every night if I'm lucky. 1 gummy & now I get 8 hours of sleep with 50 mg of Quetiapine & no Trazodone! Ok now here's the problem. It's Delta 8 meaning it has cannabinoids meaning I would fail a drug test. Yes, restoring my health could cost me my freedom. Maybe. I take 1 gummy before bedtime so I don't feel a buzz. I just know my brain isn't racing anymore, so I can sleep. I'm not Keith Richards, just an old guy who wants to sleep like everyone else. Is this grounds for getting disarmed? Losing my guns or right to carry? No medical exemption? I'm no lawyer. I doubt it but a good lawyer in Dallas is expensive. I've legally carried almost 10 years now. Hoping I can continue but I won't lose sleep over it. (pun intended)

Reactions: Arizona Desertman

·
Super Moderator
12,711 Posts
I have dealt with insomnia for years - I have been taking Benadryl every night for years, to help go to sleep. I found another solution in the past month.

About 40 minutes before bed - I turn off all tvs, screens, lights.

I like to listen to a tech podcast. I listen to the podcast show on my phone, and cover my eyes with a sleep mask. I sit in my chair and just listen, basically in the dark with my eyes covered. After 20-30 minutes or so, usually, I start to drift off. As soon as that happens, I get up, take off the sleep mask, and go to bed. I usually leave the tech show playing on my phone while I go to sleep. I drift off in no time.

I have dealt with insomnia for over a decade. But, I didn't really want to turn off all electronics an hour before bed... But, it works, and works well.

Give it a try.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Oh crap, here we go! I found CBD gummies after reading reviews stating that it helped with insomnia. I've battled insomnia 30 years & the cure is killing me. Literally. 100 mg of Quetiapine gave me insulin resistance meaning my body thinks it starving so it stores calories instead of burn them for energy meaning I'm tired & 70 pounds overweight. Though I make myself go to the gym daily & eat about 1,400 calories. That plus trazodone gets me 4 hours of sleep every night if I'm lucky. 1 gummy & now I get 8 hours of sleep with 50 mg of Quetiapine & no Trazodone! Ok now here's the problem. It's Delta 8 meaning it has cannabinoids meaning I would fail a drug test. Yes, restoring my health could cost me my freedom. Maybe. I take 1 gummy before bedtime so I don't feel a buzz. I just know my brain isn't racing anymore, so I can sleep. I'm not Keith Richards, just an old guy who wants to sleep like everyone else. Is this grounds for getting disarmed? Losing my guns or right to carry? No medical exemption? I'm no lawyer. I doubt it but a good lawyer in Dallas is expensive. I've legally carried almost 10 years now. Hoping I can continue but I won't lose sleep over it. (pun intended)
If I were you I'd stay away from anything that has cannabinoids in it or any other controlled substance. Federal law considers it to be a controlled substance and as such you would be a prohibited possessor regardless of whether it's legal in your home state. Unless of course your last name is Biden then the laws don't apply to you. It doesn't matter whether you get a buzz from it or not. I'm not trying to argue whether it's right or wrong. Until the law is changed it is what it is. In today's climate I don't foresee them changing the law anytime soon. The anti gun people would be apoplectic, but give people with the last name of Biden or any other prominent Democrat politician a pass.

If you ever got stopped for any reason such as a traffic accident while armed and were required to take a drug test and failed you could be charged and prosecuted as being a prohibited possessor under federal law. If found guilty then obviously you'd lose your guns and forfeit your right to own them. There's gotta' be something else that you can do for your insomnia without resorting to cannabinoids? Or any other controlled substance for that matter.

Cannabis & Firearms: Medical Marijuana Limitations for Gun Owners
    • ATF From 4473 is very clear about who can possess a gun, and marijuana users can not. Law-abiding Americans will have to make the choice between cannabis or firearms. Lying on a federal form can result in felony charges.
  • ATF Form 4473, Question 21E, currently reads: “Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug or any other controlled substance? Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside.”

• ATF Form 4473 and Medical Marijuana ATF Form 4473 and Medical Marijuana

On September 21, 2011 the BATFE issued an open letter to all Federal Firearms Licensees. It essentially states that anyone who lives in a state that recognizes medical marijuana use and who holds a "card" is an "...unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance...".

While individual states have decided to recognize the medicinal value of marijuana, the fact is that it's still a Class I controlled substance according to the Controlled Substances Act. Class I drugs have a high probability of abuse and have no medicinal use according to the CSA and are, therefore, illegal.

When answering the questions on the 4473, anyone holding a red or MMJ card is required to answer "yes" to question 11.e. The transaction stops right then and there.

According to the open letter, people who hold a "card" may not purchase nor possess firearms or ammunition.

• Possession of a firearm by a prohibited person is a federal crime charged under 18 U.S.C. § 922 (g). The crime is punishable by up to 10 years in federal prison. It applies to both firearms and ammunition. This charge is commonly referred to as felon in possession, although it may be applied to people who have no prior felony conviction.
  • www.federalcriminaldefense.law/felon-in-posession-of-a-firearm
    Felon in Possession of a Firearm | Federal Criminal Defense ...

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like I'm left with a hard choice. Sleep or guns. Started shooting around 1967, stopped in 2022, maybe. FWIW doctors have been trying everything there is & Quetiapine was a last resort. When nothing else works we have these...elephant pills! Wrecked my health but they're legal.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Looks like I'm left with a hard choice. Sleep or guns. Started shooting around 1967, stopped in 2022, maybe. FWIW doctors have been trying everything there is & Quetiapine was a last resort. When nothing else works we have these...elephant pills! Wrecked my health but they're legal.
That really sucks. I wish that I could have given you some good news. But I'd rather not see you go to prison in the off chance that you ever got caught, prosecuted and convicted. Of course it's also illegal to be intoxicated with alcohol along with any controlled substance while in possession of a firearm. But it's not illegal to be an alcoholic and possess firearms. I can't figure that one out? For what it's worth I'm not a lawyer but I try to keep fluent on issues regarding firearms laws. Of which a great majority of them make absolutely no sense at all other than to line the pockets of the trial lawyers and entrap otherwise law abiding people.

www.criminaldefenselawyer.com › resources › is-itIs it Illegal to Possess a Firearm While Under the Influence ...

It is almost always a crime to possess a firearm while under the influence of alcohol or any controlled substance.

addictedtoalcohol.com › information › alcohol-and-gunsAlcohol and Guns - Statistics on Gun Violence | Addicted To ...

Feb 22, 2018 · There is no federal law forbidding people with a history of alcohol abuse or even people with prior alcohol-related convictions from purchasing guns. Only a few states have laws citing alcohol abuse as a reason to block a gun purchase.

onlinetexasltc.com › legality-of-carrying-aCan You Carry a Gun if You’ve Been Drinking Alcohol?

Although you’re not permitted to carry a firearm while intoxicated, you can have a gun in your possession after consuming small amounts of alcohol.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Melatonin maybe? Non-cannabinoid, non THC hemp oil?
I tried that. In addition to meds I take gummies with melatonin, valerian root, chamomile & liquid calcium with magnesium & capsules of 5-htp & L-tryptophan. Together all that helps a little.

Reactions: denner

·
Registered
636 Posts
Nuke this thread and never mention anything to anyone. Unless you are subject to regular or random drug testing, there is little to no reason to find it.
Not a lawyer, so that isn't legal advice.

·
Registered
444 Posts
A friend of mine recently got his Medical Marijuana card from Oklahoma,,,
He brought the "Patient Welcome Information" letter for me to see.

The very first thing it says is this:

Rights:
Concealed Carry Permits
The state cannot deny a concealed carry permit solely for being a licensed patient.

I do remember a year or so back when the state attorney general (on TV) made a statement,,,
Basically he stated that in Oklahoma, if you have a license for concealed carry,,,
His office will not prosecute you for having a medical marijuana card.

When a news reporter asked him if his office would shield Oklahoman's from the Feds,,,
His reply after a few seconds of silence was, "I have no comment on that."

Just sayin'

·
Banned
56 Posts
Just dont get a damn card, nobody's business what the hell you do in the privacy of your own home. Been smoking for 48 years and never needed a card to do it. I only use it at night now to help me sleep through the pain, but I damn sure aint buying a card to do it.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Concealed Carry License

On July 9, 2013, Public Act 98-63, the Firearm Concealed Carry Act became state law (430 ILCS 66). This law requiresan Illinois Concealed Carry License to carry a concealed firearm in Illinois.

Please Note: If you possess an MML, are a caregiver pursuant to the Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Pilot Program Act, and/or otherwise use cannabis consistent with Illinois law, your FOID card or CCL will not be revoked nor will your application(s) denied. Medical Marijuana Licenses are state-issued and cannot result in the denial of any right or privilege. However, under Federal law, you are subject to restrictions that prohibit you from acquiring or possessing firearms and firearms ammunition. These restrictions are pursuant to the Gun Control Act of 1968, specifically 18 U.S.C. §922 and remain in effect until the revocation or relinquishment of your medical cannabis card or until one year after you last used cannabis, whichever is later.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have you tried hydroxyzine? Totally legal. You can fly on a plane with it. And keep your guns.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.