Handgun Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm in the process of buying a new gen 5 glock 17. I'm getting it drilled out for a red dot and getting a 19 round extended mag. Also a threaded barrel and a compensator. So in other words it's going to be big and heavy and I don't care how big and heavy it gets because I'm 6'5" 240. I'm looking for the brightest and longest lasting flashlight I can find and I'd prefer a small one but it makes no difference if it has to be big. Thanks!

·
Administrator
13,241 Posts
Hey guys. I'm in the process of buying a new gen 5 glock 17. I'm getting it drilled out for a red dot and getting a 19 round extended mag. Also a threaded barrel and a compensator. So in other words it's going to be big and heavy and I don't care how big and heavy it gets because I'm 6'5" 240. I'm looking for the brightest and longest lasting flashlight I can find and I'd prefer a small one but it makes no difference if it has to be big. Thanks!
Well, if ya want small - look at the Streamlight TRL 7.

Then, not as small, but priced well for what you get - Streamlight TRL1.

And, if ya want the granddaddy of cool and size, get the Surefire X300.

Beware of the cheapy, no name or low level named lights.

I've owned numerous Streamlight pistol lights over the years. They always work great. I even put them on rifles (the TRL1s)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, if ya want small - look at the Streamlight TRL 7. Not small, but priced well for what you get - Streamlight TRL1.

And, if ya want the granddaddy of cool and size, get the Surefire X300.

Beware of the cheapy, no name or low level named lights.

I've owned numerous Streamlight pistol lights over the years. They always work great. I even put them on rifles (the TRL1s)
Beautiful! Thank you very much. I love getting info from people that don't act like I'm a piddly little fool for asking questions. Exactly what I was looking for!! 🤘👍

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
The Olight PL-2 Mini is very good. I own three.
Outlaw holsters makes a light bearing holster to fit.
Check you tube.

Reactions: MP Gunther

·
Registered
5,749 Posts

We're here to answer questions :)

And, thank you for posting in the correct subforum. I spent all morning moving old posts that people put in the wrong sections :)
If we put them all in the right forum, you'd be out of a job!! :giggle:

·
Registered
3,835 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Beautiful! Thank you very much. I love getting info from people that don't act like I'm a piddly little fool for asking questions. Exactly what I was looking for!! 🤘👍
Amen to that! I agree with you and that's why I like it here! Good forum.
*Thanks for the replies to OP...
*I am searching for the same. Tired of cheap lights that fail, have stripped screws and fail.
Good luck with your search.

Reactions: Shipwreck

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Thanks, that's good to hear.
The best part of running these O-lights is you can charge them while installed and when fully charged they last and last.
I have carried an O-light Warrior Mini for years in my EDC, and used it for work. No failures yet.
The magnet chargers work well.

Reactions: Belt Fed

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have an Olight regular flashlight. I have been tempted to try their pistol lights, but just always stick with the tried and true Streamlights.
Good Luck with the Olight. Maybe it works for you. I purchased a tiny key chain version for my wife and had to USB charge it every 1.5 days. I gave to one of my range administrators. Do we really require all these electronic gimmicks for street carry handguns? I could see a light for your bedtable pistol but I'm not certain I want to stand behind a pistol with a spotlight telling the bad guy where I am. Home may be an exception.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Good Luck with the Olight. Maybe it works for you. I purchased a tiny key chain version for my wife and had to USB charge it every 1.5 days. I gave to one of my range administrators. Do we really require all these electronic gimmicks for street carry handguns? I could see a light for your bedtable pistol but I'm not certain I want to stand behind a pistol with a spotlight telling the bad guy where I am. Home may be an exception.
The lights I have come with an on off switch.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Happy to hear it works. I thought the Olights were an OK company.
As a retired LEO "type" we were always advised to use a flashlight in our non-shooting hand and held away from our bodies so the person we were concerned about didn't know for certain where we were standing in the dark. If they shot at the light they'd at least 50% of the time not hit your body and your arm is a smaller target. That was before handgun attachments and before semi-autos. BUT, I don't see many PD members having flashlights attached to service pistols.

·
Administrator
13,241 Posts
As I stated above, I only use Streamlights on my guns. The 1 Olight I have is a normal flashlight. And, I've had it for 5 years. It works fine. I use a rechargeable 18650 lithium ion in all of my normal flashlight. I don't have to recharge them very often.

But, I also have Eagletac, Nightcore, Jetbeam and other lights (traditional shaped flashlights), besides the Streamlights on my guns

·
Registered
49 Posts
As stated above your above. Speaking with regard to "generic" flashlight use, it's a tactic worthy of use to a specific purpose. On pistol, off pistol, near bedside on pistol. I might add another "or" which would be keeping a large old Streamlight or TruGrit from the 1970s nearby with a four cell compartment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts