Handgun Forum banner

best way to store Ammo

8K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  SMann 
#1 ·
I bought some surplus ammo cans and I was wondering is there a wrong way to put ammo in them? What I mean is 357 and 9mm ammo comes in a brick that has the point facing down and the shot gun shells come lying horizontal. I can fit more boxes of ammo in the cans if I can place the 9mm and the 357 on there side and the shot gun shells up and down. Thanks in advance.

#8 ·
I put my best ammo in this type of box's.

Technoframes Ammunition Storage
Pretty fancy stuff at that link. Way too cool for my country-bumpkin butt. :mrgreen:

So there is no need to face shells or bullets in any particular way? Iam planning to store some of this ammo as a stock pile, and it may be there a while.
I don't think there is any right/wrong way to position ammo, based on the way I've seen it packaged from the manufacturers. Remington rifle ammo boxes are often standing on one end-flap (cartridges on their side) in case-lot packaging. Same for CCI pistol/revolver ammo. Federal .223 100-round packs have half the cartridges bullet UP, and the other half bullet DOWN, in the way they are packed in a 4-box case. And bulk-packed ammo is dumped into the box loose, cartridges every which-way, in the same manner as Bruce's when it is poured into an ammo can.

Concentrate on cool/dry/watertight, and preventing wide temperature swings in the storage location, and you'll be good-to-go.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.