Handgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Beretta 96G from Cabella's. It is a LEO turn in. I looked up the serial number on the Beretta site and it is listed as a 96 GT PS that was issued to the Florida Highway Patrol. I know what the G stands for and I found on another Forum (and should have guessed this) that the PS is for Police Special. Anyone know what if any is the difference in a 96 G and a 96 GT ? By the way I love th gun, I have a 92Fs that was a DOJ turn in, a great weapon also.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The Beretta 96GT has Trijicon night sights (T- was added for the Trijicon night sights).
In 1992 I purchased a new 92 FS Centurion. Made in Italy.
In Italy or somewhere along the way to my hands it had Trijicon night sights installed.

The gun salesman said it was done at the factory. ? ? ?

The rear sight is dovetailed, and has two lines white painted on its right side.
"Trijicon" on first line. The second line has the chemical symbol for the tritium gas "TH3", then a "comma", and a "92".

The front sight is pinned. No dovetail. Below the sight, on the "cut" right at the front of the slide are the same two white painted lines. Each less than 1/16" tall.

The white paint must be pretty tough. It's still all there after 18 years and thousands of rounds.
Trijicon only warrants the green sights for 12 years. Mine are still glowing. :mrgreen:

Too much info, eh ? :smt1099

·
Registered
2 Posts
Serial #104xxx
Model: SPEC0242A
Product Description: 96 GT PS;FLORIDA HGHWY PATROL
I bought this handsome piece in 2019 from a Gunbroker Auction for under $400, and it came with both the .40S&W & 9mm barrels. After passing a few hundred rounds through each barrel, it still feels and racks like 'silk'! This Beretta 96GT has become my all-purpose sweetheart. I feel it was destined for me, not only for the way it feels and functions, but also for sharing our LE history, and the Model GT are also My Initials!

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I'd recommend running a 16 pound Wolff recoil spring in the 40cal 96FS. I believe back then Beretta overlooked the fact 9mm and .40cal have very different recoil impulses and in my mind the 13 pound factory weight spring for the 96FS was much too light. When I originally ran the factory 13 pound spring in my 96FS it would kick brass out a good 20 + feet or so, just sayin.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Serial #104xxx
Model: SPEC0242A
Product Description: 96 GT PS;FLORIDA HGHWY PATROL
I bought this handsome piece in 2019 from a Gunbroker Auction for under $400, and it came with both the .40S&W & 9mm barrels. After passing a few hundred rounds through each barrel, it still feels and racks like 'silk'! This Beretta 96GT has become my all-purpose sweetheart. I feel it was destined for me, not only for the way it feels and functions, but also for sharing our LE history, and the Model GT are also My Initials!
That was an awesome deal, man. Good job!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts