Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum,

Any thoughts on the above gun and secondly….

Does anyone ankle carry? I guess the drawback would be taking the time to reach down to get the pistol…

Looking for experts to weigh in…

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Administrator
13,611 Posts
That is a good gun. Just realize that the compact Beretta 92 is not really "compact."

I carried a fullsize 92 for 3 years, many years ago. I would occasionally mix in a Compact Beretta 92 at the time. The "compact" is still not much smaller than a fullsize Beretta 92. So, be aware of that. It was not a comfortable gun to carry. Doable, but not comfortable.

I think when you are especially just starting to carry - you will want something comfortable. Or, you just won't carry the gun.

As for ankle carry - I tried it years ago. I have a bad knee, and it caused me knee pain. Realize that when you walk, the leg with the ankle holster will move at a different speed than your other leg, because there is more weight. With your knee as the pivot point, you will find that it can throw off your stride.

But, more importantly, it takes too long to get to the gun, IMHO.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is a good gun. Just realize that the compact Beretta 92 is not really "compact."

I carried a fullsize 92 for 3 years, many years ago. I would occasionally mix in a Compact Beretta 92 at the time. The "compact" is still not much smaller than a fullsize Beretta 92. So, be aware of that. It was not a comfortable gun to carry. Doable, but not comfortable.

I think when you are especially just starting to carry - you will want something comfortable. Or, you just won't carry the gun.

As for ankle carry - I tried it years ago. I have a bad knee, and it caused me knee pain. Realize that when you walk, the leg with the ankle holster will move at a different speed than your other leg, because there is more weight. With your knee as the pivot point, you will find that it can throw off your stride.

But, more importantly, it takes too long to get to the gun, IMHO.
Good point - I guess I am getting thrown off by the current dimensions of my pistol and think anything smaller can be carried…which for this model it can be…but it might not be the most comfortable to carry.

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Registered
602 Posts
Part of what got me carrying the Beretta Px4 was that it was similar in size and weight to a Glock 19. The polymer frame lightens things up slightly over an alloy frame. Ernest Langdon of LTT put together a pretty nice carry package based on the Px4 Compact. Trigger and controls are very similar to my 92FS.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I was thinking now about the PX4 Subcompact 👍😀.

Kindly,
Stephen
That would be about my personal upper limit In size category. I’ve tried a Glock 26 in ankle carry, and even that gets a bit heavy/bulky. Best for comfort/size/power that I’ve been able to ankle carry comfortably was a Ruger LCP In .380. Small, flat, light weight.

·
Administrator
13,611 Posts
I was thinking now about the PX4 Subcompact 👍😀.

Kindly,
Stephen
Ya know, I was all set to buy the PX4 subcompact many years ago. And, my local range had one to rent.

Now, I've owned 29 Beretta 92 variants, and 4 PX4s over the years. So, I KNOW very well how to shoot DA/SA guns. And, I love Berettas. But that PX4 subcompact just didn't work for me. I couldn't shoot it well when I rented it. I was so disappointed.

On the Beretta Forum, some people love them. Some have the same report as I do - that it is much harder to shoot that gun well.

Realize the subcompact PX4 does not have a rotating barrel, like the fullsize PX4 and Compact PX4. The Subcompact uses a Browning tilt barrel design.

Also, Beretta seems to make many of their guns in batches. Sometimes you do not see a model for a couple of years - and then bang... Some show up in the states again. Many people on the Beretta Forum have commented that they have not seen any PX4 subcompacts for sale in a long time. And, it's been a long time since I recall seeing a new one too. So, if you wanted one now, I don't think you will be able to find a new one right now.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Ya know, I was all set to buy the PX4 subcompact many years ago. And, my local range had one to rent.

Now, I've owned 29 Beretta 92 variants, and 4 PX4s over the years. So, I KNOW very well how to shoot DA/SA guns. And, I love Berettas. But that PX4 subcompact just didn't work for me. I couldn't shoot it well when I rented it. I was so disappointed.

On the Beretta Forum, some people love them. Some have the same report as I do - that it is much harder to shoot that gun well.

Realize the subcompact PX4 does not have a rotating barrel, like the fullsize PX4 and Compact PX4. The Subcompact uses a Browning tilt barrel design.

Also, Beretta seems to make many of their guns in batches. Sometimes you do not see a model for a couple of years - and then bang... Some show up in the states again. Many people on the Beretta Forum have commented that they have not seen any PX4 subcompacts for sale in a long time. And, it's been a long time since I recall seeing a new one too. So, if you wanted one now, I don't think you will be able to find a new one right now.
My experience with the Subcompact version of the Px4 was the same. Losing the rotating barrel seems to make it harder to keep a solid grip under recoil, and I found myself having to adjust grip frequently while shooting. I have a full size and a compact butwon’t be buying a subcompact unless it is just a stupid good deal.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Very good points - it will be interesting to see if my broker can find one…he’s pulling out all the stops and calling in a favor….so we’ll see.

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Administrator
13,611 Posts
Very good points - it will be interesting to see if my broker can find one…he’s pulling out all the stops and calling in a favor….so we’ll see.

Kindly,
Stephen
I just looked at Wikiarms. They are all sold out at all the online sites.

Unless you buy used, I think you are out of luck. From memory, I wanna say that people have been complaining on the Beretta Forum for quite some time about these being unavailable. But good luck!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just looked at Wikiarms. They are all sold out at all the online sites.

Unless you buy used, I think you are out of luck. From memory, I wanna say that people have been complaining on the Beretta Forum for quite some time about these being unavailable. But good luck!
Well shoot - thank you for the intel. Not sounding snobby but I would not purchased a pre-owned. I appreciate your research and I will keep everyone apprised.

Kindly,
Stephen

·
Administrator
13,611 Posts
Well shoot - thank you for the intel. Not sounding snobby but I would not purchased a pre-owned. I appreciate your research and I will keep everyone apprised.

Kindly,
Stephen
I don't buy used guns either. Just a thing I have.... My preference... I don't want to inherit someone else's headache.

Last year, I bought a used optic.... A first for me... As, I never usually buy used gun stuff. But, it was a Mepro 21, which is a battery free, rifle optic. They are pretty bullet proof, and the guy had a very high rating on that gun forum. He claimed he tried it once and didn't like it. I've owned 6 or 7 of them over the years, and it is my favorite optic. But, I know some people don't care for them.

Anyway, I saved $100. But, I've never done that before. And yea, I am allergic to buying used guns :p

1 - 20 of 36 Posts