Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
I'm new to this forum and to Beretta also. Recently i bought two guns: Beretta 92fs and PX4 Storm (full size) both 9mm.
Before i bought them, i read a lot of articles about accuracy of 92fs and was excited when finally get it in my hands. On the very first try i could be able to make a group of 3-4" with PX4 on 25 yards, but was very disappointed with my 92fs. I hardly could make a group of 8". Previously I was competing 25 yards target shooting 22cal for about 15 years and like accuracy. Any advise on my Beretta 92fs? What could be wrong?
Thank you in advance

·
Registered
761 Posts
I've only been shooting handguns for a little over a year, And my 92fs is dead on. Until i start pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I would bench rest the 92FS to make sure your sights are on, and likewise to show it's you and not the pistol. You need to get accustomed to the 92FS trigger, once you do that you'll be fine. The 92FS is an exceptionally accurate pistol, at least in my long experience with them.

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
I would bench rest the 92FS to make sure your sights are on, and likewise to show it's you and not the pistol. You need to get accustomed to the 92FS trigger, once you do that you'll be fine. The 92FS is an exceptionally accurate pistol, at least in my long experience with them.
Yup.....what he said.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately I didn't keep that target. But mostly it was looks like no particular direction for billets.
Plus I tried my friends Sig 1911 45 call and could be able to get even tighter group, around 2".
What is specific about trigger on 92 fs? I used to shoot sport pistols, which I admit have totally different feelings on triggers.

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
Unfortunately I didn't keep that target. But mostly it was looks like no particular direction for billets.
Plus I tried my friends Sig 1911 45 call and could be able to get even tighter group, around 2".
What is specific about trigger on 92 fs? I used to shoot sport pistols, which I admit have totally different feelings on triggers.
Every one adjusts to triggers differently. On my 92FS, the double-action pull is quite long. I've gotten used to taking up the slack before it breaks.

Give it some time and don't get paranoid over it. Not that many people can take a new gun, or a new to them gun, and be deadly accurate with it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And may I add, it's looks like I'm pooling a trigger. I wouldn't question it if I couldn't make way better group with PX4 which has very similar trigger action.
But I'm asking for advise, so if you say it's most likely me, I'll accept it and try to improve my technic.
Thank you very much for your replies guys.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
And may I add, it's looks like I'm pooling a trigger. I wouldn't question it if I couldn't make way better group with PX4 which has very similar trigger action.
But I'm asking for advise, so if you say it's most likely me, I'll accept it and try to improve my technic.
Thank you very much for your replies guys.
That's why I always suggest benching a new pistol to get a good feel for the trigger; feeling where it breaks, take up, seeing if the sights are on, sight picture and achieving good groups before moving forward. While the PX4 and 92FS trigger's may be similar, the 2 pistols handle differently and the trigger's especially in DA are different. You need to keep your sights on target and squeeze (straight to the rear) until the trigger breaks. I would not be surprised after you bench rest the 92FS and get a good feel for the trigger you will be achieving either sub moa or holes on holes, then you can move forward. Snap cap dry fire practice will help as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am not a competition shooter but Im not bad and I cant get the same good results with my 92 as I get with my other pistols. However, my 16 year old grandson is very accurate with it. Beats me every time with bulls. So, I figure the problem is me. I was ready to bad mouth it until my grandson started knocking the center out of the bullseye with it. I love the gun for its nearly flawless reliability. Now all I have to do is work with it and get better to keep my grandson from yapping on about how he's a better shot than me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am not a competition shooter but Im not bad and I cant get the same good results with my 92 as I get with my other pistols. However, my 16 year old grandson is very accurate with it. Beats me every time with bulls. So, I figure the problem is me. I was ready to bad mouth it until my grandson started knocking the center out of the bullseye with it. I love the gun for its nearly flawless reliability. Now all I have to do is work with it and get better to keep my grandson from yapping on about how he's a better shot than me.

·
Super Moderator
12,422 Posts
I have seen magazine reviews of the Beretta 92 - 2" groups at 25 yards in one or two magazine reviews. Others are 2.5" groups

You don't see that many magazine stories on the gun anymore, as it has been out a long time. But, i'd say the gun is plenty accurate at 25 yards.

Not every gun works for every person, though. That's why there are so many different brands/models

·
Registered
635 Posts
Mine is very accurate but you must do your part too. I would shoot closer to see if it's the sights or if it's trigger control.

·
Banned
3,434 Posts
The 92FS is an extremely accurate pistol. They are large, cumbersome and finiky, but other than that, they are great pistols. I don't like'em, but that really does't mean anything.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
The 92FS is an extremely accurate pistol. They are finiky, but other than that
I don't know about the one you owned but I find them very far from finiky. I went over 15 years w/o a stoppage shooting anything and everything I fed it and changing nothing but the recoil spring on intervals. I believe when it did stop on one round(was the last round in the magazine) it was a worn mag spring or possibly a worn extractor? I remember it quite well as things like that just don't happen that often, like a shock to me. Perhaps one of the most reliable and tested pistols on the planet with an average reliability of 17,500 rounds without a stoppage, I wouldn't call that finiky. About the size of a G-17 and lighter than a P226. Conversely, the 92FS consistently bests the US military requirement of a 10-shot group of 3" or less at 50 meters (just short of 55 yards) and has done so since about 1986.

·
Banned
3,434 Posts
The open slide feature allows more dirt to get in and I find the pistol to be cumbersome with the slide mounted safety (a safety really isn't necessary anyway), its a very large pistol, significantly larger than the 17, and constantly breaks down from most I've talked to and read. I think it speaks volumes that the Navy SEALs opted to go with the P226 rather than the M9. The P226 is a large service weapon, but it just feels and handles better than the M9 for me. I know it has a loyal following, but if someone were to give me one I'd trade it for something else. That said, I do know from experience the weapon is accurate in the hands of a trained shooter. I've read that the dod is looking to replace it again, and I think they desperately need to. Along with replacing the 5.56 with am7.62.

·
Super Moderator
12,422 Posts
The open slide feature allows more dirt to get in and I find the pistol to be cumbersome with the slide mounted safety (a safety really isn't necessary anyway), its a very large pistol, significantly larger than the 17, and constantly breaks down from most I've talked to and read. I think it speaks volumes that the Navy SEALs opted to go with the P226 rather than the M9. The P226 is a large service weapon, but it just feels and handles better than the M9 for me. I know it has a loyal following, but if someone were to give me one I'd trade it for something else. That said, I do know from experience the weapon is accurate in the hands of a trained shooter. I've read that the dod is looking to replace it again, and I think they desperately need to. Along with replacing the 5.56 with am7.62.
Much mis information here - the DOD is NOT looking to replace it. Some of the military magazines run almost the same article EVERY year. The military just ordered a bunch more recently. With money being the way it is - the M9 is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Also, the pistol does not "constantly break down." I've said it before - there is no mechanism to track the round count thru the general issue M9 pistols from what I have been told. Replacing the recoil spring every 3-5k rounds, the trigger return spring every 5k, and the locking block every 15-20K rounds is not happening. It is VERY important to change the recoil spring regularly to extend locking block life. So, the gun just keeps going with no maintenabce but cleaning - until something breaks. Then, "it's a piece of crap" - or so it gets called by some. What do you expect?

The Beretta is actually EXTREMELY reliable. ask people who own them.

Honestly - no matter what gun would have gotten picked - you'd hear the same complaints about that very same gun no matter what. People like to bitch. The nostalgia for the 1911 seems to ignore the WW2 era rattletrap 1911s that had been rebuilt so much that they had their share of problems. They were no where near what you can go pick up off the shelf commercially and be happy with a 1911. But, people forget that and only remember that the M9 replaced their favorite pistol.

·
Banned
3,434 Posts
Much mis information here - the DOD is NOT looking to replace it. Some of the military magazines run almost the same article EVERY year. The military just ordered a bunch more recently. With money being the way it is - the M9 is not going anywhere anytime soon.

Also, the pistol does not "constantly break down." I've said it before - there is no mechanism to track the round count thru the general issue M9 pistols from what I have been told. Replacing the recoil spring every 3-5k rounds, the trigger return spring every 5k, and the locking block every 15-20K rounds is not happening. It is VERY important to change the recoil spring regularly to extend locking block life. So, the gun just keeps going with no maintenabce but cleaning - until something breaks. Then, "it's a piece of crap" - or so it gets called by some. What do you expect?

The Beretta is actually EXTREMELY reliable. ask people who own them.

Honestly - no matter what gun would have gotten picked - you'd hear the same complaints about that very same gun no matter what. People like to bitch. The nostalgia for the 1911 seems to ignore the WW2 era rattletrap 1911s that had been rebuilt so much that they had their share of problems. They were no where near what you can go pick up off the shelf commercially and be happy with a 1911. But, people forget that and only remember that the M9 replaced their favorite pistol.
Um....ok.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
No issues with mine... very accurate, very durable and eats whatever I run through it like a champ. The open slide never caused any issues in my experience and shoots just fine covered in dirt, sand... not a lot of guns can claim that.

YouTube some "firearm torture tests"... you'd be surprised which guns failed or had issues after being abused. No gun is perfect... all have the ability to fail at one time or another, but i'd be hard pressed to recall a failure or issue with my 92G.

Mines a keeper... for life. Regardless what the "internet critics" say.

I do agree with others who mentioned bench rest shooting to check sights... or have someone you know who has a high skill level try it out and compare shot placement. I've always found 92 series firearms to be as accurate as any other top tier firearm... out of the box.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts