Handgun Forum banner

Beretta 92 X - failure to slide lock

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  fleaflop 
#1 ·
New Beretta 92X - will lock back if racked w/ empty mag inserted. But, new 92X has never slide locked after last round when on the range.
1) Original Beretta issued mags.
2) Multiple 9 mm ammo manufacturers.
3) thumbs not resting on slide-lock
4) ~600 rounds thru weapon.
Any thought on why no slide lock back?

other than that, it’s a fantastic gun!

#2 · (Edited)
Well, maybe too much recoil spring(especially when using light loads, but the factory spring is 13 pounds and unless you a running really light stuff the 92x should lock back. Perhaps issue with slide release or spring, magazine spring or follower, suspects as well but on a new pistol? I'd suspect the new recoil spring w/ lighter loads. Since it fails to lock back on all your magazines, I'd try 9mm Nato ammo, if the Beretta doesn't lock back then it may be another issue.

#4 ·
Thx for video but thumbs on slide lock is not the problem (#3).

It has never locked back. Two handed, strong hand only, off hand only. I experimented 20 to 30 rounds w/ a single round in multiple mags (3 original factory beretta mags w/ purchase) and fired w/ “limp wrist”, low grip, high grip, etc.

Only thing I did not do is fire from a bench/vice setup.

#8 ·
Kinda as said above with everything, so I don't have a lot more to offer, but just like Higgy said. I have some pistols, not my 92 though, that have had some issue with some of the CCI 115 grain ball (powder puff range ammo) not locking the slide back, but going to hotter SD ammo or NATO ball, they ran okay.

Keep us posted on this...for me to hear a 92 of any sort, unless it's a MilSurp that has had tons of rounds put through it and rode hard, having malfunctions, is rare.

#10 · (Edited)
Did you disassemble the pistol past a simple breakdown and/or did you add or replace any parts? Does the pistol manually lock back on an empty magazine when you rack the slide and what type of ammo were you shooting, not that it matters? I'd purchase a 13 pd recoil spring and try that just to make sure as well. I run 14-15 pd wolff springs in my 92 and it doesn't hickup or fail to lockback on anything I've used.

#11 ·
New Beretta 92X - will lock back if racked w/ empty mag inserted. But, new 92X has never slide locked after last round when on the range.
1) Original Beretta issued mags.
2) Multiple 9 mm ammo manufacturers.
3) thumbs not resting on slide-lock
4) ~600 rounds thru weapon.
Any thought on why no slide lock back?

other than that, it’s a fantastic gun!
Sounds like higgy baby is on the right track. I have several 92s and many mags related. With an empty mag inserted, I can get most to lock, or not lock depending on force used to cycle slide..... Spring tension would be area of interest in your case. I have a feeling your spring will loosen up after another 1K rounds or so. If your impatient... Change the spring.... I'm not a fan of this cause you could fix that and cause another issue with a weaker spring...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.