Handgun Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
In the Reuters "news" video, there is NO mention that the attacker was shot by someone attending the services. Don't want to bring up the fact that a good guy saved a lot of people and stopped the attack.

I did see in the Law Enforcement Today that they even showed a picture of the good guy engaging the bad guy with a shotgun. And it also has in the headline that "Armed member of parish takes out shooter."

·
Registered
463 Posts
It seems that 4-5 members engaged the shooter. Fortunately one of the two dead was the BG. Parayers for all involved.
This didn't even make the evening news tonight. Maybe the late news. I live in the DFW television market as well. White Settlement is in the area.
Top stories for one of the local channels tonight on their web page. Channel 5 As of right now, not a single mention.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Looks like this gun free zone was anything but gun free. We'll never know how many lives were saved today by a good guy with a gun (and excellent shot placement) .

·
Registered
499 Posts
Fox news reports that one of the "good guys" is a former FBI agent and a member of the church. Training is important!

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Looks like this gun free zone was anything but gun free. We'll never know how many lives were saved today by a good guy with a gun (and excellent shot placement) .
It wasn't a gun free zone, Texans with concealed weapons permits are allowed to carry in places of worship.

1. Texas gun laws: Weapons will be allowed in churches and on ...
    www.cnn.com/2019/08/07/us/texas-gun-laws-el-paso...
    Aug 07, 2019 · Texas gun laws: Weapons will be allowed in churches and on school grounds - CNN A series of new firearm laws are going into effect in Texas on September 1 -- further loosening gun restrictions in a...

·
Registered
601 Posts
It wasn't a gun free zone, Texans with concealed weapons permits are allowed to carry in places of worship.

1. Texas gun laws: Weapons will be allowed in churches and on ...
    www.cnn.com/2019/08/07/us/texas-gun-laws-el-paso...
    Aug 07, 2019 · Texas gun laws: Weapons will be allowed in churches and on school grounds - CNN A series of new firearm laws are going into effect in Texas on September 1 -- further loosening gun restrictions in a...
I was well aware that Texas allows concealed carry in churches. I don't think the guy who launched this murderous rampage knew it though. (Thus my reference to the "gun free zone") With very few exceptions, most mass shootings have been in areas that heavily restricted or totally banned possession of firearms on the premises. I really doubt this shooter anticipated being met with an armed security team shooting back at him.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
I was well aware that Texas allows concealed carry in churches. I don't think the guy who launched this murderous rampage knew it though. (Thus my reference to the "gun free zone") With very few exceptions, most mass shootings have been in areas that heavily restricted or totally banned possession of firearms on the premises. I really doubt this shooter anticipated being met with an armed security team shooting back at him.
Well you should have stated that in the first place. Instead of: "Looks like this gun free zone was anything but gun free." By making that statement you're leading people to believe that it was indeed a gun free zone of which it was not.

I have no way of knowing whether you knew that Texas now allows concealed carry in places of worship? As far as what the shooter was thinking? He's dead, no one can say for sure, and never will. He could have been on a suicide mission for all we know. I'd be willing to bet that most of these deranged individuals do not expect to come out of this alive one way or the other. By taking their own lives, shot by police or by an armed citizen.

·
Registered
601 Posts
And you should have stated that your panties were in a wad.........so there's that.

·
Registered
909 Posts
The shooter stopper was a member of a (volunteer) security force at that church.

At 50 foot that's a heck of a shot. Kudos to him.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The shooter stopper was a member of a (volunteer) security force at that church.
At 50 foot that's a heck of a shot. Kudos to him.
Looking at the full video (over and over), studying everyone's position and guessing how long the pews might be I was thinking the shot was probably less that 50 foot. The angle of the camera view makes it hard to judge the distance though. Have you seen a report stating the shot was 50 ft?
The only reason I ask is that I generally practice at 50 ft or a little longer, sometimes closer.
Not sure I could make a head shot at 50 ft in a situation like that. Hope I NEVER need to find out.
Whatever the exact distance, yeah, heck of a shot....

Sam

·
Registered
909 Posts
@SamBond The 50 feet I heard on a news cast, and we know how reliable those are.
But in video the good shooter takes 10 then five paces around a corner, which would be roughly 45 ft. So it was at least 30 plus ft.

It looks to be an angle around 120 degrees, so almost a straight shot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts