Handgun Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
How dare you? Carry without a live round chambered in a single action striker fired pistol? Sacrilege!;)
I too have decided to carry with an empty chamber. I will explain why for those who care.
First and foremost I do not want a negligent discharge to ruin my life and/or the life of anyone else.
Second, I always know the state of my pistol and know that I have to rack the slide to change that condition.
Third, I am not in a hurry to shoot my pistol without surveying the situation, assessing the threat, and the chances of a successful retreat. I do not want to rush to judgement on a life altering choice.
Lastly, if I take the time to assess the situation as I rack the slide I won't be so likely to shoot the wrong guy.
As a side bonus, if someone is able to disarm me I may be able to keep him from killing me by preventing him from chambering a round.
YMMV or (your mileage must vary)
GW
As long as you are comfortable and confident, you rock and roll. None of any of this matters without being able to confidently carry gun in a way that YOU are comfortable with. There are some rules that should never be broken and some rules that are kind of like once you get to the point you are breaking them, you are past the skill and knowledge of those telling you that they are rules. An example being "always carry a round in the chamber".

·
Registered
501 Posts
IMO, the thing about Not carrying a round in the chamber is the fact that I believe you are putting yourself in harms way. You are giving a huge edge to the bad guy. The bad guy which in most cases has a big advantage in the first place. They use the element of surprise more often than not. Drawing a gun in itself takes time, racking a slide more time. I spend a lot of time just drawing and do this daily, like a standard routine. I believe the winner of a attack will go to the first person that shoots. Fast Drawing and proficient Point and Shoot skills are a requisite for EDC. Takes time and Practice and a lot of money and ammo to do well, but just the cost of EDC.

Remember this story? Look at the right hand of the man what will pull the gun first.

Here is a actual photo of a young woman in my city. At Christmas time she is seen walking into this convenience store in broad daylight. Inside are two thugs who will shot her to death.

Here is a actual Photo of the reporter right before she was shot.

·
Supporting Member
5,699 Posts
IMO, the thing about Not carrying a round in the chamber is the fact that I believe you are putting yourself in harms way. You are giving a huge edge to the bad guy. The bad guy which in most cases has a big advantage in the first place. They use the element of surprise more often than not. Drawing a gun in itself takes time, racking a slide more time. I spend a lot of time just drawing and do this daily, like a standard routine. I believe the winner of a attack will go to the first person that shoots. Fast Drawing and proficient Point and Shoot skills are a requisite for EDC. Takes time and Practice and a lot of money and ammo to do well, but just the cost of EDC.

Remember this story? Look at the right hand of the man what will pull the gun first.

Here is a actual photo of a young woman in my city. At Christmas time she is seen walking into this convenience store in broad daylight. Inside are two thugs who will shot her to death.

Here is a actual Photo of the reporter right before she was shot.

Looks like a losing situation.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts