Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it come to wheelguns I have always gone Ruger to satisfy my needs. S&W never did anything for me, Dan Wessons are nice but hard to find anymore. Here is my most recent acquisition, My GP 100 purchased recently to replace a Security Six I sold years ago. I my opinion Ruger's DA has improved significantly. I am very pleased with it so far.

Any one else enjoy Rugers?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a propensity for the Ruger handgun line. I've owned (and sold) quite a few over the years. Currently looking at getting an SP101 (unless I can find a SS Security Six 2 3/4 or 4 for a good price). Even turned a GP100 into a PPC gun in the early 1990's but sold it to another competitor when I was sent to Egypt for a year (USAF). Wish I had it back, it was a tack driver.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The GP100 is my all time favorite double action revolver, followed by it's predecessor the Security Six... I prefer the GP100 because of the double lock up on the cylinder. Talk about one tough gun! No other revolver to my knowledge does that... I also LOVE the modular design... This is one well thought out handgun!
If I only had ONE handgun that I could keep, I believe it would be my GP100... (God, I hope none of us are ever put to that decision)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hal8000 said:
The GP100 is my all time favorite double action revolver, followed by it's predecessor the Security Six... I prefer the GP100 because of the double lock up on the cylinder. Talk about one tough gun! No other revolver to my knowledge does that... I also LOVE the modular design... This is one well thought out handgun!
If I only had ONE handgun that I could keep, I believe it would be my GP100... (God, I hope none of us are ever put to that decision)
I agree with everything you said and that is why I prefer the Ruger revlovers over others.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hello. For years I used S&W revolvers for almost everything. In the recent past I added both a GP100 and SP101 to the collection and have to say that I've been exceptionally pleased with both guns. For me, the SP101 is my favorite of the two and is a trusted companion for fun at the range, knocking around the woods, or in the dead of night. It remains loaded 24/7 and I trust it completely.

These guns have proven utterly reliable and I've been more than satisfied with their accuracy.

If interested, here are links to some observations on both revolvers:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Range Evaluation - Ruger GP100.htm

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Ruger SP101 Report.htm

Best.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Well, you could say I'm fond of Rugers, though I do prefer the Single Actions, especially when set up in Super Blackhawk style. Though I do prefer the Blackhawk hammer on my guns.

In .357 Magnum I have an old 1958 vintage three screw flat top 4 5/8", stocked in mesquite from CaryC. Also a three screw 6 1/2" that I bought used last year. And a Bisley (ex-Blackhawk) New Model, of which I'm not too fond of.

In .44 Special, a three screw ex-Blackhawk .357, 4 5/8", case hardened. This just back from Dave Clements.

As to .44 Magnums, two three-screw models, one 7 1/2" brass framed and a 5" also just back from Dave Clements. And three New Model Supers, one of which has the frame case-hardened.

And in .45 Colt, all New Models, a 7 1/2" and a 4 5/8", both case-hardened, a plain 4 5/8" Vaquero, and a Bisley 4 5/8", an ex-Blackhawk.

In addition to mesquite, stocks run walnut, ebony, rosewood and vermilion wood.

The 7 1/2" .45 Colt is set up like a Super, and is my most fired gun, with just over 16,000 rounds fired through it.

Bob Wright

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.