Handgun Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
Now talking about a model 10 just got a new one 2 months ago it comes as you know with a small wooden stock grip I had it at the range didn’t like it so next range time I tried a pacymar grips I like a a lot better go figure
Really? Mode 10 as in heavy barrel,4-inch revolver? Or did Smith use that number for another semi-auto?

Model 10 as in revolver yes 4 inch the original wood grips felt to small to me just shot it Tuesday with the pacymar grips and love it
A great pistol to start with for new people. Unfortunately, I deactivated mine when I retired, along with my Model 36 Chiefs Special. My firearms unit welded them and now they're just mementos.

mal

Deactivated meaning you turn it in when you retired by the way thank you for your service sir
No, deactivated meaning I owned two revolvers, service and off duty and the NYCPD Firearms Unit gunsmith removed all internal parts, placed a steel bar through the bore to the breech plate and welded all the parts together. The Model 10 then weighed about four pounds. It's no longer a firearm and is only good for display. Thank you for your consideration, I was an active officer for 32 years and retired in the rank of captain. It's nice to be thanked. Be safe!

No, deactivated meaning I owned two revolvers, service and off duty and the NYCPD Firearms Unit gunsmith removed all internal parts, placed a steel bar through the bore to the breech plate and welded all the parts together. The Model 10 then weighed about four pounds. It's no longer a firearm and is only good for display. Thank you for your consideration, I was an active officer for 32 years and retired in the rank of captain. It's nice to be thanked. Be safe!
One last question why do they make you do that kinda a waste of a good weapon just curious thanks

One last question why do they make you do that kinda a waste of a good weapon just curious thanks
They didn't. When some LEOs retire, they're not interested in keeping their service firearms and/or off duty versions. As such, they can either give them back to the PD, sell them, give them to another officer, sell to and FFL for resale to a security guard company. The sale price for a used Model 10 at that time was around 150.00. So the PD allowed the firearm to be deactivated at one's request. Yes, I'm sorry I did that in hindsight, but for other reasons. At that time, I sold two handguns, bought two new ones and had to deactivated. I believed I didn't require six handguns on my carry permit which at that time allowed only four and the others as a "premises" possession. That's changed since time has passed.

I recently purchased a Performance Center Shield .45 ACP. This one is ported which may or may not help with felt recoil, but I find it comfortable to shoot. When I do my part it is quite accurate.
The M&P 45 Shield is surprisingly mild in this caliber for such a small gun. Not at all uncomfortable to shoot.

The M&P 45 Shield is surprisingly mild in this caliber for such a small gun. Not at all uncomfortable to shoot.
Good to know, but there is a BUT with any ported pistol. If you are a "carry" person and get a ported barrel pistol, Performance Center or some custom job, keep this in mind. The flash from the escaping gases is very expansive and bright usually. At night worse of course if it blocks your line of sight. Secondly, most LEOs and self-defense people are taught, at defensive close range shooting of three feet or less, to keep your forearm next to your body so the attacker cannot grab the pistol out of your hand. With a ported handgun, if fired from this position will direct all those gases up and away from the muzzle towards your face. Even if you are wearing shooting glasses this could be a concern. If you're on the street and not wearing any glasses or just Rx glasses, your eyes might take the brunt of the heat and gases. If you're solely a target shooter, it is less of a problem shooting the pistol at arms length. For this reason I always ask a person why and how they carry and why are the purchasing a ported pistol. The answer usually is the so-called diminished recoil, but is it really that diminished? Besides, if were in any active shooting incident, you never notice the recall. I've never heard anyone complain about recoil after being involved in a live exchange of gunfire in a self-defense incident. Be Safe.

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Good to know, but there is a BUT with any ported pistol. If you are a "carry" person and get a ported barrel pistol, Performance Center or some custom job, keep this in mind. The flash from the escaping gases is very expansive and bright usually. At night worse of course if it blocks your line of sight. Secondly, most LEOs and self-defense people are taught, at defensive close range shooting of three feet or less, to keep your forearm next to your body so the attacker cannot grab the pistol out of your hand. With a ported handgun, if fired from this position will direct all those gases up and away from the muzzle towards your face. Even if you are wearing shooting glasses this could be a concern. If you're on the street and not wearing any glasses or just Rx glasses, your eyes might take the brunt of the heat and gases. If you're solely a target shooter, it is less of a problem shooting the pistol at arms length. For this reason I always ask a person why and how they carry and why are the purchasing a ported pistol. The answer usually is the so-called diminished recoil, but is it really that diminished? Besides, if were in any active shooting incident, you never notice the recall. I've never heard anyone complain about recoil after being involved in a live exchange of gunfire in a self-defense incident. Be Safe.
Ya know - all this list of ported gun negatives always seem to be said a lot. And, I've heard it for years (I'm on like every gun forum known to man). But with the new ported Sigs coming out, some reviewers on Youtube have been doing some tests of these guns... To see if these old tales about the negatives of this feature really are true.... Even shooting in a pitch black indoor range, there seems to be no change in night vision as a result of the extra light coming up from the slide.... And, even with tests close to the body, not much is happening unless something is directly against the porting/comp. I found the videos I watched on Youtube several weeks back to be very interesting.

Some of these old stories about this seem to be negated...

Now, I only have my ported 3.1" Shield Plus (instead of a non ported model) because that is the only way the S&W Performance Center sells the gun in that size (at least my 4" Shield Plus is non ported). I wanted the better trigger, and the fiber optic sights, so I went with that version of the Shield Plus as it was the only way to get it.

And, when I got it, I had originally planned to buy a non ported barrel and drop that into the pistol. But, when I later shot the gun with the non ported barrel vs the ported barrel, I found that my group sizes were not as good with the non ported barrel... The ported barrel shot better. I even tried them both on the same range trip. I found that rather strange. But, I ended up just going back to the ported barrel.

Several years ago, I also have previously had a comped 1911 in 45ACP. And, I will say the only REAL negative for a comped/ported gun is the noise factor. It can be much louder than a non ported gun - especially in 45. THAT is something to realize. The ported 45ACP 1911 I had was usually the loudest gun at the indoor range whenever I shot.

I too avoided the factory comped Glocks that were sold over a decade ago, and I repeated the same thought processes on various forums concerning the negatives of ported/comped guns. Years later, though.... I will say that the noise is the only major thing to consider IMHO.

And, I've found that in 9mm, the ported Shield Plus is not that much louder... Less so than the comped 45ACP was...

So, I say - get it if ya want it :)

Ya know - all this list of ported gun negatives always seem to be said a lot. And, I've heard it for years (I'm on like every gun forum known to man). But with the new ported Sigs coming out, some reviewers on Youtube have been doing some tests of these guns... To see if these old tales about the negatives of this feature really are true.... Even shooting in a pitch black indoor range, there seems to be no change in night vision as a result of the extra light coming up from the slide.... And, even with tests close to the body, not much is happening unless something is directly against the porting/comp. I found the videos I watched on Youtube several weeks back to be very interesting.

Some of these old stories about this seem to be negated...

Now, I only have my ported 3.1" Shield Plus (instead of a non ported model) because that is the only way the S&W Performance Center sells the gun in that size (at least my 4" Shield Plus is non ported). I wanted the better trigger, and the fiber optic sights, so I went with that version of the Shield Plus as it was the only way to get it.

And, when I got it, I had originally planned to buy a non ported barrel and drop that into the pistol. But, when I later shot the gun with the non ported barrel vs the ported barrel, I found that my group sizes were not as good with the non ported barrel... The ported barrel shot better. I even tried them both on the same range trip. I found that rather strange. But, I ended up just going back to the ported barrel.

Several years ago, I also have previously had a comped 1911 in 45ACP. And, I will say the only REAL negative for a comped/ported gun is the noise factor. It can be much louder than a non ported gun - especially in 45. THAT is something to realize. The ported 45ACP 1911 I had was usually the loudest gun at the indoor range whenever I shot.

I too avoided the factory comped Glocks that were sold over a decade ago, and I repeated the same thought processes on various forums concerning the negatives of ported/comped guns. Years later, though.... I will say that the noise is the only major thing to consider IMHO.

And, I've found that in 9mm, the ported Shield Plus is not that much louder... Less so than the comped 45ACP was...

So, I say - get it if ya want it :)
Each person has to decide what fits for them. That's why we try on shoes. If someone has a mental template for something they feel the want, they will get it if it fits the mental picture. My only observation, although I have more decades in time here on earth, which are only one or two less of my carrying and shooting experience, is that there's a dichotomy between target shooters and those who have been in at least one but maybe more than one self-defense incident, as a civilian or police officer. . Luckily, I had only three. I watched really capable range shooters fire coffee coaster sized holes on their paper targets and are impressed and love their Glocks or other boutique pistols. That's great, but people don't stand still in a street confrontation and hold a target. "Smoke 'em if you got 'em." Shoot well.

Each person has to decide what fits for them. That's why we try on shoes. If someone has a mental template for something they feel the want, they will get it if it fits the mental picture. My only observation, although I have more decades in time here on earth, which are only one or two less of my carrying and shooting experience, is that there's a dichotomy between target shooters and those who have been in at least one but maybe more than one self-defense incident, as a civilian or police officer. . Luckily, I had only three. I watched really capable range shooters fire coffee coaster sized holes on their paper targets and are impressed and love their Glocks or other boutique pistols. That's great, but people don't stand still in a street confrontation and hold a target. "Smoke 'em if you got 'em." Shoot well.
I agree with 90% of what you said, but thousands of Glocks on the street in use every day hardly makes them a “boutique” pistol. You can like them or not but they are very popular guns and there is a reason for that.

I agree with 90% of what you said, but thousands of Glocks on the street in use every day hardly makes them a “boutique” pistol. You can like them or not but they are very popular guns and there is a reason for that.
Let's then disagree for only 5%. The Glocks were boutique pistols when they first arrived. All the police agencies wanted them, so let's say they were fashionable. Glocks are fine, and reliable. I usually chide friends of mine by calling the "Industrial Designed" pistols one might find at The Home Depot 'cause they're unattractive. The only reason I don't carry a Glock is because it's too wide for me. It's just chunky. I like slim pistols. 1911 are slim but SA/DA. I won't carry that type of pistol. Browning FNs, the same. I like them but I won't carry a pistol which requires too many actions to get it actionable, cock and locked, halfcocked, etc. My 9 Shield works fine for me. So we basically agree, all your points are on target.

None of my carry guns are ported. In fact none of any of my guns has a ported barrel. And none of my carry guns has an attached light, a Red Dot sighting system, or a laser sight.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.