Handgun Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone- anyone found or bought any new knives lately? I was thinking of getting a new SOG line knife but wanted feedback from others first. Let me know!

·
Administrator
4,184 Posts
Hey everyone- anyone found or bought any new knives lately? I was thinking of getting a new SOG line knife but wanted feedback from others first. Let me know!
I've had a couple of SOGs, I find I prefer Benchmade and Spyderco.

My last SOG was a Spec Elite II or something.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
I am a firm believer in Cold Steel knives The one I carry every day is 21 years old. With stood the punishment I have put it through and still going strong and sharp.

·
Premium Member
3,377 Posts
Not new by a few months but my Emerson-Kershaw folder (more aptly an unfolder) is very convenient for times when your other hand has business of its' own job to do.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Get what you want and spend what you want. Right now, the best knife value for a fixed IMHO is Morakniv.
It is only 3/4 tang, but it is still the best ~$20 knife out there. Buy several and get yourself a nice piece of camp gear.
I have a carbon in 3.6 inch ($10) that has lives in a tackle bag and used to cut bait for over a year. The thing scare the hell out of me when I unholster it. Still that sharp. I put a patina on it and it turned out a very dark gray, pretty cool, but it helps protect the carbon steel.
I have a 4.1 in SS that is about as bullet proof as I have seen. I've asked plain stupid from it, since I don't mind breaking a cheap knife, and kinda wanted to see if they are as good as the hype and advertisement. It has come through shining. It takes and holds a very frightening edge.
Happy Shopping

·
Premium Member
3,377 Posts
Get what you want and spend what you want. Right now, the best knife value for a fixed IMHO is Morakniv.
It is only 3/4 tang, but it is still the best ~$20 knife out there. Buy several and get yourself a nice piece of camp gear.
I have a carbon in 3.6 inch ($10) that has lives in a tackle bag and used to cut bait for over a year. The thing scare the hell out of me when I unholster it. Still that sharp. I put a patina on it and it turned out a very dark gray, pretty cool, but it helps protect the carbon steel.
I have a 4.1 in SS that is about as bullet proof as I have seen. I've asked plain stupid from it, since I don't mind breaking a cheap knife, and kinda wanted to see if they are as good as the hype and advertisement. It has come through shining. It takes and holds a very frightening edge.
Happy Shopping
I have been a MORAKNIV fan for a while. I have a habit of giving them away to good friends so I am down to my "Robust" and my "All Around" right now but I will restock.
My dad had a Morakniv from the 1950s and it is still in my brothers' possession after I cleaned it up and made the edge like it was as new.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My two favorite folders are a Benchmade Griptilian, which was gifted to me (They are a bit spendy and I probably wouldn't have bought one for myself) and a Spiderco Tenacious Lightweight. I like the Spiderco because it's a little thinner, and I like the Benchmade because of it's sharpness and edge holding.

As far as fixed blades go, I'm in the Morakniv camp. They don't have any fancy frills, but they are high quality, while still being affordable enough to own more than one. I've found that I like the Scandinavian grind quite a bit. I have one in carbon steel, and a couple in stainless. I think the choice of carbon or stainless is mostly a personal preference. So far, I can't tell much difference in how they sharpen or cut.

I don't have any experience with SOG, so I can't give an opinion.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Carried a Kershaw when I worked. The assisted open was a life saver, literally.
A Stockman was always in my possession in some regard, usually in my pocket. Off duty the Stockman was my companion since about 14 years old. I recently went from small to medium, thanks to my hands revolting recently.
Case.jpg I carried this one until I found out how much it would cost to replace, and became paranoid. Old Timer, Chinese and all, became the carry option. At the price I didn't worry about losing it, even though I never did. I found my Old Timers were very good and the steel was not bad at all.
Folders are a fun topic all their own.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I have a few SOG knives and have owned several others. What model are you considering ?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Just looking at SOG flip style any suggestions?
I'm very fond of my SOG Vulcan. It is not assisted opening. It has the flipper and also a thumb stud. I don't think they are currently in production (I may be mistaken) but there are usually at least a few available on ebay. Mine has the drop point blade. The knife also has been made with a tanto blade. There are two sizes of the Vulcan, the standard size and the Mini Vulcan. I own both but prefer the larger knife.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm very fond of my SOG Vulcan. It is not assisted opening. It has the flipper and also a thumb stud. I don't think they are currently in production (I may be mistaken) but there are usually at least a few available on ebay. Mine has the drop point blade. The knife also has been made with a tanto blade. There are two sizes of the Vulcan, the standard size and the Mini Vulcan. I own both but prefer the larger knife.
Solid thank you for the feednavk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts