Handgun Forum banner

all weather shooting

3K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  ocharry 
#1 ·
while going thru a course it started raining all but 1 person left because it wasn't sunny. i train all weather rain,snow,cold,or hot. anyone else out there who shoots any weather.

#6 ·
Shipwreck said:
Brandon_Lutz said:
I've duck hunted several times in pouring rain. Does that count? :lol:
Man, getting up at 3am and sitting out in the rain waiting for a duck sure sounds like fun :wink:
It sure does! A cold day with sleet coming down is good too.:-D :-D :-D

I didn't know you were a duckhunter Ship.

We shoot rain, shine, wind, hail, snow, heat, cold, whatever the only thing that slows shooting down is lightning. Lightning has the right of way, everything else is a minor inconvenience.

#7 ·
about any hunting in adverse weather counts. to many don't have practice at shooting wet,cold,scared and effects it can have on aiming. a wet or cold shiver at the wrong time can mean the difference between hit or miss

#8 ·
2400 said:
Shipwreck said:
Brandon_Lutz said:
Man, getting up at 3am and sitting out in the rain waiting for a duck sure sounds like fun :wink:
It sure does! A cold day with sleet coming down is good too.:-D :-D :-D

I didn't know you were a duckhunter Ship.

We shoot rain, shine, wind, hail, snow, heat, cold, whatever the only thing that slows shooting down is lightning. Lightning has the right of way, everything else is a minor inconvenience.
I was being sarcastic - sorry, it doesn't come across well in text. :oops: :-D

No, I'm not into hunting myself...

#10 ·
Shipwreck said:
Brandon_Lutz said:
Its the greatest thing on earth!!!!

#14 ·
The sounds of the hunt!

A leaf turning loose and falling through the branches.

Acorns dropping to the forrest floor.

Dew dropping like raindrops.

The agitated barking of a squirrel.

Canada geese honking coming over the tree line.

Gunfire from a distant blind.

If you've never experienced it, words can't convey the feeling.

Bob Wright

#18 ·
Ahh.... Love the smell of napalm in the morning...............:smt118

#19 ·
And then there's the aroma:

Walking past a farm house in the early morning smelling bacon frying.

Coffee boiling in the pot.

Smoke wafting out smelling of oak and hickory.

Even the aroma of the livestock as you pass by.

Passing by after somebody has potted a squirrel and smelling the smell of burnt gunpowder.

The smell of buck urine scent on your clothes--well, maybe that's going too far. Never sit in front of a space heater with buck lure in you clothes!

Bob Wright

#20 ·
Now that last bit sounded a LOT like the voice of experience:smt010

#21 ·
"If it ain't rainin', we ain't trainin'!"

I've trained, mainly with the handgun, in a 10 degree snowstorm in New England to 115 degree summers in Arizona. I've trained in freezing rainstorms so ugly that my sights were filled by the raindrops that flew horizontally uprange at me. I've been so sweaty that the gun practically slipped in my hand under recoil.

Frozen, wet, cold hands teach you things about pistol manipulation that you might not otherwise learn. Hands dripping with sweat will teach you something, too. Obviously, we don't control the circumstances in which we may have to fire in self-defense. Our hands could be cold, wet, sweaty, or covered in blood. Maybe we'll have gloves on. The weather may be nice and dry, or it could be a blizzard, monsoon, or freezing rain.

I like the idea of having experienced most of these conditions. It increases my confidence if I do have to defend myself in less-than-ideal conditions. As far as getting my guns wet, well, I'll dry 'em off when I clean them. Not that I especially care about the finish anyway.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.