Handgun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Administrator
14,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alec Baldwin hit with involuntary manslaughter in death of Halyna Hutchins, facing up to 18 months in prison

Alec Baldwin was charged with two counts of involuntary manslaughter in the death of Halyna Hutchins.

Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, who was the armorer on the film "Rust," was also charged with two counts of involuntary manslaughter.

· Registered
204 Posts
Firearms are legally held to a higher standard of care due to firearms being more inherently dangerous instruments.

Unintentional injuries or death are almost always the result of negligence. With firearms that usually constitutes criminal negligence.

The charge is correct. Baldwin is guilty of criminal negligence.

This should be a lesson for all gun owners.

· Registered
204 Posts
Anyone seriously interested and not just ill-informed speculation as to why Baldwin was charged with involuntary manslaughter, can watch this excellent presentation by Andrew Branca, a noted legal Self-Defense attorney.

The Legal Charges Against Alec Baldwin

What counts is not the opinions of laymen, but what the law is.

Gun owners should realize this law also applies to them.

· Registered
204 Posts
Gun owners should take a wide view of the Baldwin case, what happened, and the ramifications going into the future.

Mishandling of firearms resulting in injury or death are considered criminal negligence, subject to criminal charges and civil suits, will be extremely costly financially, emotionally, and socially, and the future for the shooter isn't bright.

Whether Baldwin goes to jail or not is not the issue to be concerned with as that's not in your control.

Your concern should be 'what if my firearm negligence caused injury or death?" and how can I work to make sure it doesn't happen to me. That is in your control.

· Registered
706 Posts
The last two posts are really spot on, and every gun owner should reflect on the proper way to respect a firearm.
*These guys play politics and follow different rules anyway so whatever happens to Baldwin is of no concern to me.
*A life was taken because of possible intent, neglect and people NOT respecting a firearm. They can sort that out now but for me I have to focus on what I do with my focus on firearm safety!

Reactions: crc4
1 - 14 of 14 Posts