Handgun Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Nice looking pistoliver! If i were to "do it" all over again, I'd go with .45LC rather than .44 Magnum... Uberti mades nice guns...

·
Registered
201 Posts
Cowboy Gun

You have to love that classic SSA style. Here is a Great Western Store Keeper's model 3" in a Bianchi Holster.

I am still looking for a main Gun for the other side. It will probably be an Umberti.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Well, gents, having been into cartridge collecting ans study for some time, I cringe at the term ".45 Long Colt." The correct nomenture is ".45 Colt."

Admittedly, the term has been corrupted by usage as Long Colt, but the fact of the matter is its birth certificate reads ".45 Colt."

The short version was ".45 Smith & Wesson" or ".45 Colt Gevernment."

Not that what I say makes that much difference, just have to say it.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
201 Posts
.45 colt

jwkimber45 said:
Bob, i tend to agree with you. "Long Colt" doesn't raise the hair on my neck, but .45 Colt is proper.
As opposed to .45 S&W which the US army used prior to 1900 and .45 1909 which was a double action revolver cartridge like the .45 colt except that the rim was wider to give more extraction power in the 1909 Colt DA revolver. seeing the .45 colt and the shorter .45 S&W you can see why the common terminology of LONG colt came into being. The .45 S&W was used in US Army Colt SSA revolvers for a number of years.

·
Registered
20 Posts
jimg11 said:
As opposed to .45 S&W which the US army used prior to 1900 and .45 1909 which was a double action revolver cartridge like the .45 colt except that the rim was wider to give more extraction power in the 1909 Colt DA revolver. seeing the .45 colt and the shorter .45 S&W you can see why the common terminology of LONG colt came into being. The .45 S&W was used in US Army Colt SSA revolvers for a number of years.
This one is chambered for the .45 Colt. Shipped July 3, 1890:

·
Registered
34 Posts
The original Colt SAA was chambered for the 45 Colt but the 1873 Winchester rifle was chambered for the 44-40 which is a 45 Colt bottlenecked to 44. Why? Who knows but it was stupid. Winchester never made rifles for the Army so they decided to have their own cartridge for the civilians but since civilians bought Colt SAAs having to carry two different calibers was a pain... people left that to the idiotic Army. Therefore Colt started producing SAAs in 44-40 to match the very popular Winchester 73. Winchester never did produce a 73 with a straight walled cartridge they just used calibers like 32-20, 44-40, 38-55 etc. I guess bottlenecks shoot better in a rifle.... as follows modern rifle cartridges. Hey I even have an old Belgian DA revolver in 32-20... which is a ball to shoot :)

BTW- All of my cowboy shooting guns are 44 Special.

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Man they are all beautys and thanks for letting us see them. Love them old SAA guns.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The original Colt SAA was chambered for the 45 Colt but the 1873 Winchester rifle was chambered for the 44-40 which is a 45 Colt bottlenecked to 44. Why? Who knows but it was stupid.....
The story I've heard is that the slight bottle neck facilitated chambering better during the black powder era where propellant fouling would build up in the chamber area and make it difficult to load another round.

The lower cartridge pressures of that period wouldn't expand the straight-walled .45 case enough to seal out the propellant from entering between the case and the chamber during ignition. The .44-40 neck area was thinned down somewhat so that stretching of the brass in that area could take place and thus form a seal.

Take a look at a .44-40 brass case today....the neck area wall thickness is still considerably thinner than below the taper.

Believe it or not....that's what I've heard and it makes sense to me.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Well she sure ain't old but my favorite handgun! I'd love a mate to go with her!

Randall:smt071

·
Registered
6,740 Posts
Some fine looking shooting irons on this thread.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sure are nice lookin shootin irons...

And yes, it is called .45 Colt but some manufacturs have picked up on the term or mis-naming of the cartridge to .45 Long Colt. Its kinda like them people who call a magazine a clip for a semi auto.

But in doing a little checking.....

Is the .45 Colt the same as the.45 Long Colt?

Yes. The .45 Colt is exactly the same round as the .45 Long Colt. The .45 Long Colt name was required in the late 1800's to differentiate between the .45 Colt and the shorter .45 Schofield. With the passing of the.45 Schofield as a popular round, the name .45 Colt is now the most accepted name for this cartridge.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts