Handgun Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yea, it has to fit. You have to be able to get your hand around it securely and the angle of the grip makes for some spirited discussion at times as well.
Glock isn't my favorite. There are several that I like and shoot better, depending on the shooting of the day. I carry a Glock because I'm confident that it will work every single time and do so in the exact same manner. Hard Cast in the woods or HST in the jungle, I never worry about the thing doing what it was designed to do. It just works for me and the trigger is the exact same every time. I guess that is part of the allure. Hate it or love it, it is always the same, and that can count for a lot.
For a bunch of years, I carried what they told me to.
In retirement, I carry Glocks for the reason LostinTexas stated. They always go bang, the same way, every time.
I'm partial to .45ACP cause slow, fat & heavy works, but, when in the woods with bears, I bring the G40 in 10mm. (my avatar).
I like my 1911's and my S&W revolvers and my Python, I just don't carry them any more.

·
Registered
162 Posts
To me, It has more to do with the handgun. Neither round is a toy. I go along with reliability with a Glock. I find the heavy bullet option very desirable in the 40 S&W. If I had to choose, it would be a G23 over a G19 any day. This is a personal choice. The G23 is powerful and totally reliable. I can get the hots for a 9mm caliber. When that happens I can drop in the OEM 357 SIG barrel. Also, totally reliable and powerful. To me, the Glock is not the end all of end all. The G23.4 is my carry gun. There a ton of really good handguns out there. I sold my HK USPC in 40 cal. which is regretted as this is written. I never had the least problem shooting a 40 caliber handgun.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Great story love it. I'm just a curious person enjoy hearing why folks like and prefer the 40 over the 9. Because I love the 40cal myself looking hard at the M&P 2.0 40 compact. Had a Glock 22 Gen 4 didn't care for it at all. Only because to me it felt like I was holding a 4x4 in my right hand. I have smaller hands as well. Thank you.
I have small hands, as well. My .40 is an Hk P30 and it fits my hand like it was made for me. Actually it was...the Hk comes with interchangeable grip panels and backstrap for a custom fit.

I haven't had the misfortune of having to use a handgun in self-defense, so I don't have a basis for my preference for the .40 over the 9mm. My favorite 9mm is my Hk VP9, which I love to punch paper with, but I just have more confidence in the .40 "to do the job" based on bullet weight and bore diameter.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm back to 40S&W just this summer after carrying and shooting a full-size M&P 9 for a year or so.. I've always felt the the 9 is...a little wimpy...but I carried it anyway.. But now I'm back to the 40 with what was one of my FS M&Ps that I reacquired in a trade with my goodbuddy who bought it.. I have my favorite ammo, Federal 180g. HSTs, back in inventory and have 3000 rounds on the way.. (My loving wife calls me Mr. Excess for good reason.. I tell her there's no such thing as having too much ammo.)

For whatever reason, I'm more comfortable with a 40.
2020Jul21_M&P40 w litesite_1040816_1600w.jpg

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
Why not the 40? There's a wide variety of identical guns that are chambered for both 9mm and 40 S&W. You can also get both 9mm and .357Sig conversion barrels for most of these guns.

·
Supporting Member
5,667 Posts
if guns were wishful thinking, I would always wish a bigger bullet to their chest or head to go along with wishful placement.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm back to 40S&W just this summer after carrying and shooting a full-size M&P 9 for a year or so.. I've always felt the the 9 is...a little wimpy...but I carried it anyway.. But now I'm back to the 40 with what was one of my FS M&Ps that I reacquired in a trade with my goodbuddy who bought it.. I have my favorite ammo, Federal 180g. HSTs, back in inventory and have 3000 rounds on the way.. (My loving wife calls me Mr. Excess for good reason.. I tell her there's no such thing as having too much ammo.)

For whatever reason, I'm more comfortable with a 40.
View attachment 18774
Oh ya...I have TWO new S&W-brand 357SIG barrels* for it, too, and LOTS of premium Federal HST ammo for it, too.. Hope I never need it..

Anyone want to buy a no-longer-available 357SIG barrel?

* S&W part number 339103 060214.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Glock's only come across as clunky handling a handgun with better ergonomics. My G23.4 remains my carry gun. I was wearing a G27 unnoticed when a local guru lectured me. It was totally impossible to conceal a Glock. This goes to show guru's are frequently FOS. Both 9mm and 40 S&W are formidable cartridges. I have handguns in both calibers. Shoot and load for both. If you think 40 S&W is too weak try a G29 for a carry gun.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Plenty of manufacturers have made powerful 9mm now. I figure you should be good to go with any decent HP that gives you 400+ ft/lbs. of ME out of your gun. Look at Speer, Cor-Bon, Buffalo Bore, and Double Tap...all make ammo to those specs. If you can't get it done with that, moving up to the .40 probably won't matter.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts