Handgun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I’m not trying to debate which is better 40 or 9. I love to ask this question. Why do you like and or prefer the 40cal. I love the 40cal not sure why even though most say it’s to expensive to shoot and train with and it’s to snappy.

·
Registered
484 Posts
LMAO, like was said in the other thread, LostWife is a buck twenty five and runs it like a champ. She scares people, and many of them ore LEO's (friends). It is fun to watch. The "too snappy" really doesn't hold water. I was able to shoot my 23 while still learning to walk and in a very weakend state. It wasn't as pleasant as normal, but not unmanageable. The 9 didn't give enough relief in the same session to be noticeable. G19, so it was about as comparable as it gets.
9MM has, on average, 2 more rounds than the same size 40. G19 carries 15, G23 carries 13. Her XDM carries 12 +1 in the compact mag and 16+1 in the FS mag. That thing packs some heat.
I had the misfortune to use a 9MM on a couple of occasions. It was quite the disappointment, and fortunately there were other people there with some fire power. It just didn't stop the fight.
The reason for the bad taste and the lack of use for the caliber. Yes it was all FMJ but you won't change my mind, and many have tried. If you think a 9 is for you, then by all means use it, learn it, and master it. If you think you will become a marksman, or even stay one, in the heat of a fight, you need to re-evaluate. We never rise to the occasion, we fall to the rock bottom level of our training. The good part, there are thousands of successful defense episodes every year, by people of varying proficiency.
Expense? I really doubt many people shoot more than a case in half a decade. at about $50 difference per case on average, it shouldn't break the bank for an individual.
10 years Navy, 28 years on the streets picking up victims of shootings has given some interesting insight as well. Most of it is pretty well documented and well covered. Rifle, shotgun beat the pants off a pistol, any pistol, but are hard to conceal.
There is your book, and my story.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LMAO, like was said in the other thread, LostWife is a buck twenty five and runs it like a champ. She scares people, and many of them ore LEO's (friends). It is fun to watch. The "too snappy" really doesn't hold water. I was able to shoot my 23 while still learning to walk and in a very weakend state. It wasn't as pleasant as normal, but not unmanageable. The 9 didn't give enough relief in the same session to be noticeable. G19, so it was about as comparable as it gets.
9MM has, on average, 2 more rounds than the same size 40. G19 carries 15, G23 carries 13. Her XDM carries 12 +1 in the compact mag and 16+1 in the FS mag. That thing packs some heat.
I had the misfortune to use a 9MM on a couple of occasions. It was quite the disappointment, and fortunately there were other people there with some fire power. It just didn't stop the fight.
The reason for the bad taste and the lack of use for the caliber. Yes it was all FMJ but you won't change my mind, and many have tried. If you think a 9 is for you, then by all means use it, learn it, and master it. If you think you will become a marksman, or even stay one, in the heat of a fight, you need to re-evaluate. We never rise to the occasion, we fall to the rock bottom level of our training. The good part, there are thousands of successful defense episodes every year, by people of varying proficiency.
Expense? I really doubt many people shoot more than a case in half a decade. at about $50 difference per case on average, it shouldn't break the bank for an individual.
10 years Navy, 28 years on the streets picking up victims of shootings has given some interesting insight as well. Most of it is pretty well documented and well covered. Rifle, shotgun beat the pants off a pistol, any pistol, but are hard to conceal.
There is your book, and my story.
Great story love it. I'm just a curious person enjoy hearing why folks like and prefer the 40 over the 9. Because I love the 40cal myself looking hard at the M&P 2.0 40 compact. Had a Glock 22 Gen 4 didn't care for it at all. Only because to me it felt like I was holding a 4x4 in my right hand. I have smaller hands as well. Thank you.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Great story love it. I'm just a curious person enjoy hearing why folks like and prefer the 40 over the 9. Because I love the 40cal myself looking hard at the M&P 2.0 40 compact. Had a Glock 22 Gen 4 didn't care for it at all. Only because to me it felt like I was holding a 4x4 in my right hand. I have smaller hands as well. Thank you.
Yea, it has to fit. You have to be able to get your hand around it securely and the angle of the grip makes for some spirited discussion at times as well.
Glock isn't my favorite. There are several that I like and shoot better, depending on the shooting of the day. I carry a Glock because I'm confident that it will work every single time and do so in the exact same manner. Hard Cast in the woods or HST in the jungle, I never worry about the thing doing what it was designed to do. It just works for me and the trigger is the exact same every time. I guess that is part of the allure. Hate it or love it, it is always the same, and that can count for a lot.

Reactions: RoadRamblerNJ

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, it has to fit. You have to be able to get your hand around it securely and the angle of the grip makes for some spirited discussion at times as well.
Glock isn't my favorite. There are several that I like and shoot better, depending on the shooting of the day. I carry a Glock because I'm confident that it will work every single time and do so in the exact same manner. Hard Cast in the woods or HST in the jungle, I never worry about the thing doing what it was designed to do. It just works for me and the trigger is the exact same every time. I guess that is part of the allure. Hate it or love it, it is always the same, and that can count for a lot.
I think that's way cool your wife loves the 40. I've had this same discussion on another forum. There is definitely and hard core 40 crowd.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lostin Texas I’m going to have to try the 23 Gen 4 it has the replacement plam swells correct.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I only own one .40 S&W pistol, a Beretta Px4 Compact. It a very nice shooting handgun. I like the .40, but for me it's kind of an odd caliber. I prefer .45 ACP in my autoloaders (I have four). When I want to shoot a less expensive round, the 9mm is the cheapest of the rimfires. Nothing at all wrong with the .40. It's just caught in the middle and ends up the odd man out, at least for me.

Never quite understood the "snappy " recoil comments, but then besides the .45 ACP, my second favorite caliber is the .357 magnum.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Lostin Texas I'm going to have to try the 23 Gen 4 it has the replacement plam swells correct.
They have changeable back straps. Picture just under the beaver tail.
They adjust the grip angle, or are supposed to. I've never handled a Gen 4.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They have changeable back straps. Picture just under the beaver tail.
They adjust the grip angle, or are supposed to. I've never handled a Gen 4.
Well maybe that's why I hated my 22. And some say the M&P handles the recoil better than the Glock. Due to the fact that M&P was built as a 40 and the Glock was built to be a 9

·
Registered
845 Posts
Lostin Texas I'm going to have to try the 23 Gen 4 it has the replacement plam swells correct.
Less the grip length, the G-23 Gen 4 grip will have the same grip as a G-22 Gen 4 and for that matter the G-17 Gen 4 and G-19 Gen 4.

All the Gen 4 and Gen 5's have MBStraps

Gen 3's have the same grip as the medium on Gen 4's and 5's

Hard to beat a Glock Fowty

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I've owned a couple 40s (EAA WitnessP and Ruger SR40c). They were not too 'lively' to handle, but were too, um, energetically loud for indoors use as a defense weapon (a circumstance not likely to include hearing protection).

·
Registered
484 Posts
Well maybe that's why I hated my 22. And some say the M&P handles the recoil better than the Glock. Due to the fact that M&P was built as a 40 and the Glock was built to be a 9
In the later offerings the "built as a 9" means squat. The probelms surfacing from the older builds was taken care of pretty early with the 3 pin system, later returned to a two pin system. Not sure what the correct name for the parts are. I have a couple of later Gen 3 with a round or two through them and the 23 for sure has 2 pins, the 22 may, but I'd have to check. Shows how much I bother with that.
The M&P may suit you because of the grip angle. I love LostWife's XDM. It is pretty well known that Glock grip angle is a love it or hate it, and probably much the reason for the changeable back straps in the Gen 4 and later.

Reactions: denner12

·
Registered
4,623 Posts
Ok I'm not trying to debate which is better 40 or 9. I love to ask this question. Why do you like and or prefer the 40cal. I love the 40cal not sure why even though most say it's to expensive to shoot and train with and it's to snappy.
Because bigger is better. All kidding aside it all depends on what you're comfortable with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The walther ppq m2 in 40 might be something you'd like to check out if you want a non glock 40. Walthers are more ergonomic (you said the glock feels like a 2x4). Walthers dont have the god like reputation that glocks do, but they're under rated pistols. Ergonomics is something they got right on the ppq series.

·
Registered
845 Posts
23 for sure has 2 pins, the 22 may, .
Yep 2 pins. Glock 22 Gen 3 is considered a tried and true work horse. I can't imagine one pistol that's been in the hands of more US Law enforcement than the G-22 Gen 3. Everyone should have at least one G-Fowty in their rotation, and I'm a Beretta guy. What I understood concerning Glock going 2 pin was because of the Fowty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Most of our local Police forces here in Canada carry 40 cal sidearms. Most crooks in Canada carry 9mm as they seem to be the easiest cal to get. The police carry a bigger gun for this reason or at least one of them up here. The old "mines bigger then yours theory". The 9mm is much more controlable then the 40 cal anyday.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Most of our local Police forces here in Canada carry 40 cal sidearms. Most crooks in Canada carry 9mm as they seem to be the easiest cal to get. The police carry a bigger gun for this reason or at least one of them up here. The old "mines bigger then yours theory". The 9mm is much more controlable then the 40 cal anyday.
rolling_zpsbd53a833.gif
Tell that to LostWife while she is mag dumping into a running range ball. All 2 bits and a dollar worth of her. You might go shoot and stop reading internet folk lore.

·
Supporting Member
5,669 Posts
For comfort the 22 is much better then the nine

·
Premium Member
3,377 Posts

I have to wonder from which gun the 9mm or .40 cal are being fired from? What particular ammunition is being used? Which Canadians can't control their particular .40? Why these Particular Canadians can control a 9mm? Why don't the Canadian gun shops just stop selling 9mm pistols and ammo.
Pussy

·
Supporting Member
5,669 Posts
I have to wonder from which gun the 9mm or .40 cal are being fired from? What particular ammunition is being used? Which Canadians can't control their particular .40? Why these Particular Canadians can control a 9mm? Why don't the Canadian gun shops just stop selling 9mm pistols and ammo.
Pussy
Lmao,
(pussy)
An important priority, when reliability being all equal is "Firearm Management "
Management can include improving your skill set or defining ones skill set.
Much more to Management, but I have to run.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts