Handgun Forum banner

357 Snubbies

3K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  Brian48 
#1 ·
Thinking about getting a 357 snubbie again. I like a revolver I can drop in my pocket. I had an S&W model 60 years ago. It fell apart after I shot it too much. I'm soliciting opinions about 357 vs. 38 special, etc. How much more effective is 357 than 38 & 38 special?

#2 ·
Thinking about getting a 357 snubbie again. I like a revolver I can drop in my pocket. I had an S&W model 60 years ago. It fell apart after I shot it too much. I'm soliciting opinions about 357 vs. 38 special, etc. How much more effective is 357 than 38 & 38 special?
Compared to .38 Special+P. In a snubbie probably the only advantage of a .357 Magnum is punishing recoil, increased muzzle blast, noise and about 150-200 fps increase in velocity on average.

Revolver Velocity Versus Barrel Length - Lucky Gunner Lounge
Mar 13, 2017 · The S&W 686-3 also showed a major drop in velocity with the Magtech 158 gr.357 Magnum load even though the same barrel had comparatively high velocities with some

#3 ·
Compared to .38 Special+P. In a snubbie probably the only advantage of a .357 Magnum is punishing recoil, increased muzzle blast, noise and about 150-200 fps increase in velocity on average.

Revolver Velocity Versus Barrel Length - Lucky Gunner Lounge
Mar 13, 2017 · The S&W 686-3 also showed a major drop in velocity with the Magtech 158 gr.357 Magnum load even though the same barrel had comparatively high velocities with some
Thank you.

#5 ·
I prefer the 357 round myself.
But if it's to throw into your pocket, dunno.
The 357 is gonna be heavy.
Don't know if a smaller framed revolver vs the big frame while shooting hot 38s will be much different in recoil.
Good luck
You can get J frames in 357. I've shot them; my question is about how 400 fps more muzzle velocity makes that much difference in a short barreled gun.

#6 ·
Penetrating ability.
Especially with defragging rounds . If both defrag properly , the 38 won't penetrate as well as the 357.
Deeper penetrating frags have a better chance of reaching vital areas.
400 fps is significant when your velocity is around 1000 fps give or take.
Your choice will be fine.
I would shoot the j frame in 357 magnum first, before buying it. If they make them anymore

#7 ·
Penetrating ability.
Especially with defragging rounds . If both defrag properly , the 38 won't penetrate as well as the 357.
Deeper penetrating frags have a better chance of reaching vital areas.
400 fps is significant when your velocity is around 1000 fps give or take.
Your choice will be fine.
I would shoot the j frame in 357 magnum first, before buying it. If they make them anymore
They make them. Smith Makes several. And Taurus.

#16 ·
What I’ve seen in snubby .357 velocities, gets the magnum round to about 9mm velocity range with similar weight bullets, but that is out of a 4” Autoloader by comparison.

big thing in my mind, is when selecting a defensive load to carry, is if the bullet was designed to operate are velocities attained in a 4” or longer barrel, or if the projectile was designed to operate as short barrel velocities. When they change the alloys of jacket and core, and change the jacket with pre-scoring to allow a bullet to get the same penetration and expansion levels within a certain velocity envelope, that is where the round should be loaded.

Put a heavy duty constructed bullet that needs 1,300 + fps to have enough energy to punch the projectile deep enough and get it to expand so it doesn’t over penetrate, into a gun with a barrel tha can only accelerate the bullet to 1,000 to 1,100 fps, and the bullet will perform differently. It may over penetrate due to an inability to hit optimum expansion Or even get expansion to start at all.

on the other end of the spectrum, push a projectile 200 to 300 fps faster that it was designed to go, and you may end up with fragmentation and inadequate penetration.

#22 ·
Carrying a .357mag and having the ability to shoot .38special from it is, in my opinion, you are handicapped. My wife has a Ruger SP-101 that she shoots with full house 158gr JHP's and is incredibly accurate with it. It is her carry weapon, when she carries. She is an average to small woman, but she is not recoil sensitive.

#24 ·
Carrying a .357mag and having the ability to shoot .38special from it is, in my opinion, you are handicapped. My wife has a Ruger SP-101 that she shoots with full house 158gr JHP's and is incredibly accurate with it. It is her carry weapon, when she carries. She is an average to small woman, but she is not recoil sensitive.
But the problem is that some people are indeed recoil sensitive no matter how many rounds they shoot. But they'll never know until they fire their first handgun. It makes no sense to start out with the biggest and baddest. Just as it makes no sense to go out and buy the biggest, baddest Harley when you've never even ridden a 5 H.P. mini bike.

By all means buy a .357 Magnum revolver then start out with .38 Specials once they're used to that then try some .357's. Starting out with .357's is a bad idea that can lead to a lifelong flinching habit that may be difficult to break. With the right ammo .38 Specials can be a very effective self defense round especially at close range. I don't think that you'll find too many people volunteering to take 5 or 6 in the chest or gut with them at close range? Jack Ruby took out Oswald with a single .38 round to his abdomen. John Lennon was hit 4 times with one round piercing his heart killing him.

The biggest advantage in buying a .357 revolver is that you can shoot the shit out of it with .38 Specials without putting too much wear and tear on the gun. As it was designed to handle a more powerful round. Then when you become proficient with it you can start practicing with .357's to determine if that round is for you. Maybe it will be and maybe it won't only the individual firing the gun can determine that.

#25 ·
Getting the small frame 357 might a good choice.
The smith n Wesson frame is forged vs the ruger s investment casting method. Ruger and smith both have forged or billet cylinders, and that's what takes the explosive 357 impact.
A smaller forged frame will weigh almost the same as a cast frame.
The forged frame is more condensed then the cast frame.

#27 ·
I've fired .357s out of a jframe size gun before. It's pretty darn brutal. I keep .38spl +Ps in my Model 60. That said, I love snubbie revolvers. Full house .357 loads are much better suited for kframe or Lframe guns if you can carry them concealed comfortably. I carry these occasionally, but generally only during the colder months when I can wear the appropriate clothing to conceal them. The Model 19 on the right is same model I used to carry on duty when I was on embassy duty during the Marine Corps. The 2.5" model was standard State Dept issue at the time (late '80s) and is very comfortable for conceal carry with the right holster. The 686+ on the left is my woods gun, but I've carried concealed every now and then if I'm wearing a jacket.

Air gun Trigger Sleeve Gun barrel Gun accessory

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.