Handgun Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
357 Magnum revolver delivers some of the best performance from a handgun. Its bare-bones design and easy-to-use mechanism make it perfect for beginners.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Carrying a .357mag and having the ability to shoot .38special from it is, in my opinion, you are handicapped. My wife has a Ruger SP-101 that she shoots with full house 158gr JHP's and is incredibly accurate with it. It is her carry weapon, when she carries. She is an average to small woman, but she is not recoil sensitive.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
357 Magnum revolver delivers some of the best performance from a handgun. Its bare-bones design and easy-to-use mechanism make it perfect for beginners.
Of course everybody's different, and unless they start out using .38 Specials preferably wadcutters I wouldn't recommend starting out with .357's out of a short barreled revolver.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Carrying a .357mag and having the ability to shoot .38special from it is, in my opinion, you are handicapped. My wife has a Ruger SP-101 that she shoots with full house 158gr JHP's and is incredibly accurate with it. It is her carry weapon, when she carries. She is an average to small woman, but she is not recoil sensitive.
But the problem is that some people are indeed recoil sensitive no matter how many rounds they shoot. But they'll never know until they fire their first handgun. It makes no sense to start out with the biggest and baddest. Just as it makes no sense to go out and buy the biggest, baddest Harley when you've never even ridden a 5 H.P. mini bike.

By all means buy a .357 Magnum revolver then start out with .38 Specials once they're used to that then try some .357's. Starting out with .357's is a bad idea that can lead to a lifelong flinching habit that may be difficult to break. With the right ammo .38 Specials can be a very effective self defense round especially at close range. I don't think that you'll find too many people volunteering to take 5 or 6 in the chest or gut with them at close range? Jack Ruby took out Oswald with a single .38 round to his abdomen. John Lennon was hit 4 times with one round piercing his heart killing him.

The biggest advantage in buying a .357 revolver is that you can shoot the shit out of it with .38 Specials without putting too much wear and tear on the gun. As it was designed to handle a more powerful round. Then when you become proficient with it you can start practicing with .357's to determine if that round is for you. Maybe it will be and maybe it won't only the individual firing the gun can determine that.

·
Supporting Member
5,698 Posts
Getting the small frame 357 might a good choice.
The smith n Wesson frame is forged vs the ruger s investment casting method. Ruger and smith both have forged or billet cylinders, and that's what takes the explosive 357 impact.
A smaller forged frame will weigh almost the same as a cast frame.
The forged frame is more condensed then the cast frame.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts