Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting a 357 snubbie again. I like a revolver I can drop in my pocket. I had an S&W model 60 years ago. It fell apart after I shot it too much. I'm soliciting opinions about 357 vs. 38 special, etc. How much more effective is 357 than 38 & 38 special?

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Thinking about getting a 357 snubbie again. I like a revolver I can drop in my pocket. I had an S&W model 60 years ago. It fell apart after I shot it too much. I'm soliciting opinions about 357 vs. 38 special, etc. How much more effective is 357 than 38 & 38 special?
Compared to .38 Special+P. In a snubbie probably the only advantage of a .357 Magnum is punishing recoil, increased muzzle blast, noise and about 150-200 fps increase in velocity on average.

Revolver Velocity Versus Barrel Length - Lucky Gunner Lounge
Mar 13, 2017 · The S&W 686-3 also showed a major drop in velocity with the Magtech 158 gr.357 Magnum load even though the same barrel had comparatively high velocities with some

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Compared to .38 Special+P. In a snubbie probably the only advantage of a .357 Magnum is punishing recoil, increased muzzle blast, noise and about 150-200 fps increase in velocity on average.

Revolver Velocity Versus Barrel Length - Lucky Gunner Lounge
Mar 13, 2017 · The S&W 686-3 also showed a major drop in velocity with the Magtech 158 gr.357 Magnum load even though the same barrel had comparatively high velocities with some
Thank you.

·
Supporting Member
5,698 Posts
I prefer the 357 round myself.
But if it's to throw into your pocket, dunno.
The 357 is gonna be heavy.
Don't know if a smaller framed revolver vs the big frame while shooting hot 38s will be much different in recoil.
Good luck

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I prefer the 357 round myself.
But if it's to throw into your pocket, dunno.
The 357 is gonna be heavy.
Don't know if a smaller framed revolver vs the big frame while shooting hot 38s will be much different in recoil.
Good luck
You can get J frames in 357. I've shot them; my question is about how 400 fps more muzzle velocity makes that much difference in a short barreled gun.

·
Supporting Member
5,698 Posts
Penetrating ability.
Especially with defragging rounds . If both defrag properly , the 38 won't penetrate as well as the 357.
Deeper penetrating frags have a better chance of reaching vital areas.
400 fps is significant when your velocity is around 1000 fps give or take.
Your choice will be fine.
I would shoot the j frame in 357 magnum first, before buying it. If they make them anymore

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Penetrating ability.
Especially with defragging rounds . If both defrag properly , the 38 won't penetrate as well as the 357.
Deeper penetrating frags have a better chance of reaching vital areas.
400 fps is significant when your velocity is around 1000 fps give or take.
Your choice will be fine.
I would shoot the j frame in 357 magnum first, before buying it. If they make them anymore
They make them. Smith Makes several. And Taurus.

·
Supporting Member
5,698 Posts
You should shoot a 357 magnum in a smaller frame before you buy it.
It might be ok for you. I think it'll be more felt recoil

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You should shoot a 357 magnum in a smaller frame before you buy it.
It might be ok for you. I think it'll be more felt recoil
I've shot them. My question is ballistic. Is the extra FPS worth it?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've shot them. My question is ballistic. Is the extra FPS worth it?
I have to ask you please, is the recoil worth it? In my case, it is not, so; consequently, all of my pocket revolvers are 38 Special.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
It's a short range weapon for encounters of five feet, like a mugging. With crimson trace grips I could hit pretty well at 15 feet.
Then you might as well buy a .44 Magnum with a 2 1/2 inch barrel. Except you may have a little trouble dropping it in your pocket. Unless of course you're Captain Kangaroo.
Revolver Wood Trigger Air gun Gun barrel

Revolver Wood Everyday carry Gas Gun accessory

·
Registered
366 Posts
What I’ve seen in snubby .357 velocities, gets the magnum round to about 9mm velocity range with similar weight bullets, but that is out of a 4” Autoloader by comparison.

big thing in my mind, is when selecting a defensive load to carry, is if the bullet was designed to operate are velocities attained in a 4” or longer barrel, or if the projectile was designed to operate as short barrel velocities. When they change the alloys of jacket and core, and change the jacket with pre-scoring to allow a bullet to get the same penetration and expansion levels within a certain velocity envelope, that is where the round should be loaded.

Put a heavy duty constructed bullet that needs 1,300 + fps to have enough energy to punch the projectile deep enough and get it to expand so it doesn’t over penetrate, into a gun with a barrel tha can only accelerate the bullet to 1,000 to 1,100 fps, and the bullet will perform differently. It may over penetrate due to an inability to hit optimum expansion Or even get expansion to start at all.

on the other end of the spectrum, push a projectile 200 to 300 fps faster that it was designed to go, and you may end up with fragmentation and inadequate penetration.

·
Supporting Member
5,698 Posts
It's a short range weapon for encounters of five feet, like a mugging. With crimson trace grips I could hit pretty well at 15 feet.
The 357 magnum is a great round. If that's what you want ,get it.
The 357 magnum round is a beast

·
Vendor
40 Posts
Kimber K6S is a solid option - a very well made gun. And it handles 357 Mag recoil surprisingly well (this is subjective, of course).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts