Handgun Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
just saying...but i'm 99.99% sure that if there was a 300 pound meth-head with a butter knife I could easily out run him
And what if the 300 pound meth head has a 9mm with 20 rounds at his disposal? You going to run away with your .22 tucked in your panties?

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
People had been known using a 22 but that was in a case of being right up against it's target. The good old behind the ear thing. A 22 loses way too much of it's power way too soon to be an effective weapon for defense. Yes ia guess it has offensive uses but I'm pretty sure no one reading this thread will have a use for those kind of tactics. So we lean to weapons that can travel over 10 yards and get through clothing etc as well as the intended target.

This thread reminded me is a pretty scary night in a bar in Cincinnati Ohio. Two guys got into a fight and had both pulled out a weapon. At first glance it appeared like one guy missed and the other had a head wound. I didn't actually see the shooting being when I seen the but of one of the weapons I grabbed my friend and went to the floor in hopes of not making the news. But after they had fired a scuffle started and the two were held for police. Come to find out the guy with the head wound was shot with as 25 ACP pistol. The other was hit with as 22. The 25 round literally glanced off the one guys bald head! The round was later recovered (by police) in the ceiling. The other was hit in the shoulder but the round didn't make it through the guys coat and other clothing. He was hit with a 22 round that was recovered from inside his coat. He had a pretty funky bruise but was going to live. These two were about 18-20 feet apart when they fired.

Now I'm not saying that will always be the case with weapons like this. But I had seen this with my own eyes. So it can happen. Neither of these weapons were made to be used in the way they where. The term belly gun is what I think about when I see any of those little pocket 22 & 25ACP weapons. Usually people stuck them in the belly or ribs and fired. or the behind the ear thing we talked about earlier. I blame video games and Hollywood for a lot of what people think those lite things can do. Sure they can be very dangerous and I am not going to step in front of one any time soon. But I'm not going to trust my life to one. Being many times the intended victim is in a defensive position they just are not practical.

I did once kill a raccoon with a Rolm (RG) 25 ACP shot at around 15 feet. But it was a really lucky shot. It just so happened I was doing some work top one I had and had just put it back together. I was going top head out to check it out when the outlaw **** was seen in my trash. in broad daylight! It still run about 30 feet before it fell. And I was really lucky it didn't think to come running at me. A hurt bore **** can be a real handful. Especially when you are the one that hurt them:numbchuck:

So I guess I'll stick to my 40's and 45's Being I am not a Hollywood hit man or work for some shady government agency as a loose cannon with a heart of gold.:watching:

I do have a couple 22's I like to shoot though. You wont have more fun with 20 bucks and a couple 22's. That 20 will supply ammo for a weekend!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is a .22 effective as a concealed weapon? Reason I ask is because ill be getting my CHL soon and thats currently what I own, I assume that it will do damage but would it be enough to stop an attacker. Assume im using Hollow points.

·
Registered
38 Posts
IMO, the bigger the better. I personally do not beleive a .22 is effective enough for personal defense, but I'm sure some people would disagree. I would say keep your eye open for a good deal on a 9mm or larger.

·
Registered
29 Posts
IMO, the bigger the better. I personally do not beleive a .22 is effective enough for personal defense, but I'm sure some people would disagree. I would say keep your eye open for a good deal on a 9mm or larger.
Ya, I would be happy with a 9mm, I think I just need to get into the mindset that a .22 is a plinker toy more than anything.

·
Registered
715 Posts
The simplest way to answer the question is: "What caliber would you consider too small to stand in front of?"

A well placed shot from a .22 will kill a person just as much as one from a high power rifle. Any port in a storm..........it's better to have something and not need it than need anything and not have it. Most effective, probably not, but if it's all you got, then it's the best thing for the job......until something better replaces it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yea, the vast majority of people will agree that a .22 is not an acceptable round for self defense. You need to look at something in the 380/9mm to .45auto range for concealed carry. You can definitly hurt/kill someone with a .22, but it's simply not an effective stopping round. Utilize the search engine on here and you'll find thread after thread answering this same question.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah what the other guys said...the 22 is better than nothing, and can kill with one bullit, but for self defense you need something that will stop the threat before it gets to you...whetether that be a 350lb meth head, armed robber, or just a crazy animal out in the woods, if something is charging you, do you think that little 22 bullit is going to stop them in thier tracks? Only if you are very lucky, and I would definitely not feel safe with it...but its better than nothing, no doubt about that..

·
Registered
2 Posts
.22 some times not very effective, but under-rated

Also, i've seen bunnies survive 12 gauge blasts and deer run for hundreds of yards after a 30 ot 6 yet i'm sure either would be sufficient to bring down a man. More times than not it isn't the caliber but the aim.
I know, it's a handgun forum. But I've killed hundreds of groundhogs with the .22 caliber and delighted in taking them at long range with a head shot. That's where it seemed I had to hit them for an instant kill. I'd aim for their eyeballs. Because if I hit them with a body shot I often had to walk up on them and pop them again. Or watch them run down their holes. Even with long rifle hollow points. I even got in the practice of adjusting my aim lower and releasing semi-auto fire at them to get two good hits when I was out of patience. I don't know anything about OC's choice of weapons, but the initial velocity is more powerful than people realize. And the destructive power formidable. With a 15-round clip I sawed an enormous zucchini in half from 140 feet. We'd hang them from trees with binder twine and shoot from our chairs on the back deck. Great target practice. You get a good whack sound when the slugs hit. And excellent color display both to mark your hits and as they explode.

·
Registered
9,533 Posts
The .22 has it's place in the firearms industry, and yes, it can be a lethal round, but I would never carry one, and/or depend on one, as my primary self-defense weapon. But, it's still better than having nothing at all.

About the only reason why firearms manufacturers still insist on manufacturing and selling palm-sized .22 pistols (pocket rockets), is because the public is still buying them.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Is a .22 effective as a concealed weapon? Reason I ask is because ill be getting my CHL soon and thats currently what I own, I assume that it will do damage but would it be enough to stop an attacker. Assume im using Hollow points.
Ball ammo may work better as it get's penetration and the expansion of a .22 isn't large enough to bleed out a man in time anyways so you need to get to vitals like Brain, Heart, or mafia style.
A .22 beats nothing and it is lethal but lacks the power to be a fight stopper. I've killed 5 deer with a Ruger 10/22 at up to 75 yards so I know it will work but now that I have the funds I carry nothing less than a .38spl or 9mm with good ammo and a .308 for deer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ball ammo may work better as it get's penetration and the expansion of a .22 isn't large enough to bleed out a man in time anyways so you need to get to vitals like Brain, Heart, or mafia style.
A .22 beats nothing and it is lethal but lacks the power to be a fight stopper. I've killed 5 deer with a Ruger 10/22 at up to 75 yards so I know it will work but now that I have the funds I carry nothing less than a .38spl or 9mm with good ammo and a .308 for deer.
What state is it legal to kill a deer with a rimfire?

·
Registered
128 Posts
It's not often the caliber that persuades the BG to turn and run, but that fact their victim is armed.

Locally, there was a recent home defense where the elderly woman put a single round of 22 rat shot in the guy's belly. He decided robbing her was a really bad idea, turned and ran, and was later arrested at the hospital.

·
Registered
1 Posts
:watching:

Because when you're two inches from your non-moving, sleeping, unaware target doesn't know that you're about to pop them it's a little easier. As for the mob and CIA I seem to recall that the mob still favored machine guns and the "you don't see me here" guys I didn't see in Iraq we're still carrying ARs/AKs and service pistols.

Ask yourself this, if the .22 is soooooo good for ___ why doesn't the Military issue them as rifles and sidearms, why don't the police do it either?Think of the savings in ammo budgets if they were to go .22 and the ease in shooting them, but they still don't use it. I wonder why?

Sure a .22 will kill some one, but it less likely to do it quickly.

Add to that that rim-fire pistols can be ammo sensitive, the ammo itself is known for high failure rates.

Edited to add, when something still has trouble killing rabbits and squirrels, I'll leave it at home when carrying for defense against two legged threats.
the reason the military issues a .45, rather than a .22 is mostly about stopping power. a .45 slug delivers enough energy to stop-and-drop a man running at you with a bayonet. a .22 doesn't.

·
Administrator
4,177 Posts
2021 me needs to talk to 2010 me about the goodness of .22 caliber J-Frames.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I wouldn't like to rely on any rim-fired cartridge in a semi-auto with its projectile crimped around the heel of the case for S/D carrying, but that's just me.

·
Registered
463 Posts

Y'all read too many spy novels and propaganda.
22 can be formidable. It isn't as reliable as it needs to be, but is much better than years past, or was before all the 22 mayhem of recent years.
Better than nothing? Yes. First choice? Not really. Then again, a pistol caliber isn't either. Some are defiantly better than others, though.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts