Handgun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
Good article!
When I carried the 1911, it was in condition 1.
Personally, I think condition 2 to be the most dangerous way to carry a 1911, just because you have to lower the hammer onto a loaded chamber and that, in my mind is a very dangerous step... :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
Hal8000 said:
Good article!
When I carried the 1911, it was in condition 1.
Personally, I think condition 2 to be the most dangerous way to carry a 1911, just because you have to lower the hammer onto a loaded chamber and that, in my mind is a very dangerous step... :roll:
I agree with you on this one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
The answer is no .......


The 1911 was made to be carried cocked and locked. It has 3 safety features. Slide safety, grip safety, and the final- trigger pull. The odds of an accidental discharge are so low that they more than likely can't be computed. Think about it- The glock has 1 safety feature- thats pulling the trigger. All the modern pistols are coming with firing pin safeties so they can't discharge, even if dropped on the ground while loaded. Cocked and locked just looks unsafe but it's not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,225 Posts
Correction the Glock has three safeties Trigger safety, Drop safety and Firing pin safety. As for the 1911, I was an MP during the early 70's and always carried lock and cocked. I've seen a lot of them go off at the clearing barrel due to the ones that thought condition two was best. I do remember a manual that stated if you carry with one in the chamber and you bring the hammer down then there is a fourth saftey which is to bring the hammer back just a little and it will lock in place. If you have a gov't model you should have this. I would never use it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Condition 1, is how I always carry any 1911 style .45 ACP. As
has been stated, it is the quickest and safest way too swing into a
confrontation when time is of crictical importance. I also keep one
of my 1911's at hand for any home defense scenarios. However,
it is widely known that all perps understand the "universal language"
of the 12 gague pump action shotgun, as a first line of home D'. :-D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Excellent article. As a long time shooter but relatively new to the 1911 family, it made a lot of sense to me. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Cocked and locked

I always carry my 1911's in condition one.It is the correct way to carry them and the only way that I will.It is not unsafe to carry them in this way unless you have had some bad custom work done to yours.
 

·
Supporting Member - Legally Armed Scooter Trash
Joined
·
2,031 Posts
Condition 1

Anything less than cocked and locked means you have an expensive club if you need it in a hurry... :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
C & L

Condition #1 is the way to safely and properly carry a 1911. The thing that freaks most of the ignorant and uniniatiated..is that they see the hammer cocked back and think OMG..that gun is ready to fire...!! That is a terribly dangerous situation...!! Alittle education in this area goes along way toward disspelling alot of this type of ignorance...
 

·
Supporting Member - Legally Armed Scooter Trash
Joined
·
2,031 Posts
Re: Condition 1

maverick9614 said:
scooter said:
Anything less than cocked and locked means you have an expensive club if you need it in a hurry... :roll:
If you don't mind, I think I just found my new signature.
Doesnt bother me...I think I probably stole it from someone else years ago :-D :-D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
I agree with everyone else. Cocked and Locked. There shouldn't even be any other way. I have a friend that carries his 1911 in Condition 3 because he says he figures he will have to engage the bad guy in an unarmed manner first while drawing his pistol, racking the slide, and firing. I asked him what if he only has one hand to draw, rack and fire. He didn't have an answer. The 1911 was designed to be carried in condition 1 and I think Mr. Browning knew a little more about firearms than me, so I will stick with his design.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
spacedoggy said:
Correction the Glock has three safeties Trigger safety, Drop safety and Firing pin safety. As for the 1911, I was an MP during the early 70's and always carried lock and cocked. I've seen a lot of them go off at the clearing barrel due to the ones that thought condition two was best. I do remember a manual that stated if you carry with one in the chamber and you bring the hammer down then there is a fourth saftey which is to bring the hammer back just a little and it will lock in place. If you have a gov't model you should have this. I would never use it.
The 1/2 cock position is not a safe way for a 1911 to be carried, ever. It's just asking for a discharge if the weapon is dropped, why John Browning put that position on the pistol is still an unanswered question.
 

·
Supporting Member - Legally Armed Scooter Trash
Joined
·
2,031 Posts
progun47 said:
The 1/2 cock position is not a safe way for a 1911 to be carried, ever. It's just asking for a discharge if the weapon is dropped, why John Browning put that position on the pistol is still an unanswered question.
Its not an unanswered question??It was put there to catch the hammerfall if for some (any) unforseen reason the hammer dropped without the trigger being pulled,as in drop the pistol from a running horse,or running from foxhole to foxhole and flopping in it,etc,etc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
MUST BE RIGHT

C & L must be right--That is the way we were taught in the service and we all know the GOVERNMENT IS ALWAYS CORRECT--just ask them.

:-D :) :-D

RJ
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top