Magazines ae different.

    Results 1 to 6 of 6
    1. #1
      Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2010
      Location
      Michigan
      Posts
      170

      Question Magazines ae different.

      Hi,

      I have a S&W Walther PPK/S .380 and when I bought it it came with 2 Walther magazines and since I'm obsessive/compulsive 2 mags just weren't enough so, I HAD to buy 2 more because I have 4 mags for all my guns. The gun shop had two more so I bought them. They were made by MECGAR and are nickel plated with 7 round capacity. I thought they were identical to the Walther mags
      My problem is that every time I take it to the range and install the MECGAR mags I get a failure to chamber about every other round. I have compared the 2 types closely and I can see there is a very slight difference between them. I don't have a pair of calipers to measure them but, I can see that the flanges at the top of the magazine are creating a different sized opening for the round to chamber. I wish I had a camera so you could see what I'm talking about, but I'm wondering if anyone else has also experienced this issue?

    2. #2
      Administrator
      VAMarine's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Iowa
      Posts
      3,905
      Quote Originally Posted by VietVet68 View Post
      Hi,
      I have compared the 2 types closely and I can see there is a very slight difference between them. I don't have a pair of calipers to measure them but, I can see that the flanges at the top of the magazine are creating a different sized opening for the round to chamber. I wish I had a camera so you could see what I'm talking about, but I'm wondering if anyone else has also experienced this issue?
      The flanges are called "feed lips", are there any markings on your mags other than the MecGar logo? It's possible you have mags for a .32, not a .380.

    3. #3
      Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2010
      Location
      Michigan
      Posts
      170

      Thanks

      Quote Originally Posted by VAMarine View Post
      The flanges are called "feed lips", are there any markings on your mags other than the MecGar logo? It's possible you have mags for a .32, not a .380.
      First of all, thanks for educating me on "feed lips", I didn't know what to call them. Markings on the MecGar mags are:
      1. "Cal. 380 ACP"
      2. "Made in Italy"
      3. Cartridge numbers
      4. The MecGar logo

      Any clues there?

    4. #4
      Administrator
      VAMarine's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Iowa
      Posts
      3,905
      Quote Originally Posted by VietVet68 View Post
      First of all, thanks for educating me on "feed lips", I didn't know what to call them. Markings on the MecGar mags are:
      1. "Cal. 380 ACP"
      2. "Made in Italy"
      3. Cartridge numbers
      4. The MecGar logo

      Any clues there?
      Those should be correct then, but it is possible that the mags are marked incorrectly, I had some MecGar .40cal mags that were actually sized to be 9mm mags. Your cartridge numbers go 1-7 not 1-8 correct?

    5. #5
      Member
      Join Date
      Jan 2010
      Location
      Michigan
      Posts
      170

      Talking On it goes-chasing problems

      Quote Originally Posted by VAMarine View Post
      Those should be correct then, but it is possible that the mags are marked incorrectly, I had some MecGar .40cal mags that were actually sized to be 9mm mags. Your cartridge numbers go 1-7 not 1-8 correct?
      Yes, 1-7. I really wish that I had kept the packaging.
      Jack

    6. #6
      Administrator
      VAMarine's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Iowa
      Posts
      3,905
      Quote Originally Posted by VietVet68 View Post
      Yes, 1-7. I really wish that I had kept the packaging.
      Jack
      Well it sounds like the "should" be correct mags, you can always try reshaping the feed lips, but that can cause more harms than good sometimes.

    Sponsored Links

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  

    Search tags for this page

    different types of walther ppk magazines

    ,

    issues with mec-gar walther ppk/s .380 7-round magazine

    Click on a term to search for related topics.