Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53

Thread: The Judge

  1. #1
    twolfe84's Avatar
    twolfe84 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Virginia Beach,VA
    Posts
    19

    The Judge

    I am very considering the Judge and dont know a whole lot about it. Any one have any good/bad experices with the Judge? and what you think about it!!!!

  2. #2
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0

  3. #3
    dondavis3's Avatar
    dondavis3 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dallas / Fort Worth Texas Area
    Posts
    1,871
    I own a Judge and for what I bought it for, it is great.

    It sits on the night stand on the side of the bed my wife sleeps on and is loaded with alternating OOO Buck Shot and .45 Long Colt Hollow Points.

    She can shoot it well and has practiced with it at the range.

    The recoil does not bother her at all, but she's been shooting other guns for years.

    It's not for target shooting, but it make a hell of a close up and personal gun.

    Most say they hate it, but I believe they are not understanding it's purpose - close work.

    The Judge is selling like hot cakes and you can hardly find one to buy a few months ago - they increased production and they are easier to find now.

    Of my shooting buddies four of them (including me) have bought the Judge and each of use like it for what it's meant to do.


  4. #4
    gmounce is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    20
    I don't own the judge but I have put several hundred rounds threw my buddies. My thoughts are for extreme close range it is deadly with the 410 loads. I did not find the 45 long colts to shoot very consistent with my self behind the gun but I'm not an ace marksman. For his intended purpose for his wife as a night stand gun for close personal defense when he is out of town I think it is perfect. Is it the gun for me no, but I have plenty of weapons better suited for my needs. If you’re looking for a nice close quarters self defense gun and are not very familiar with shooting hand guns I think it would be perfect. Remember a lot of people will tell you it is junk and have no first hand knowledge of the weapon. My advice try and go shoot one with both the colts and 410 shells and make your own decision.

  5. #5
    dondavis3's Avatar
    dondavis3 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dallas / Fort Worth Texas Area
    Posts
    1,871
    +1 Gmounce


  6. #6
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,386
    Quote Originally Posted by gmounce View Post
    I don't own the judge but...[at] extreme close range it is deadly with the 410 loads...
    Oh?
    What did you kill with it?
    How do you know that it's "deadly"?
    Please tell us.

  7. #7
    Mdnitedrftr's Avatar
    Mdnitedrftr is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Trumbull, CT
    Posts
    494
    I own one and while theres nothing wrong with the gun, its novelty has worn off. I never carry it, and it only really comes out to play when I bring a noob to the range. They always get a kick out of it.

    I think if I were to ever get rid of any of my guns, that would be the one.

  8. #8
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,386
    I am moved to point out that the person who stated that the Judge with .410 shotshells was a "deadly" combination has not seen fit to answer my question.
    I wonder why.

  9. #9
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    I am moved to point out that the person who stated that the Judge with .410 shotshells was a "deadly" combination has not seen fit to answer my question.
    I'm far from an expert, but isn't any gun loaded with ammo a deadlycombination.

  10. #10
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    I'm far from an expert, but isn't any gun loaded with ammo a deadlycombination.
    Well, it kinda depends.
    Generally speaking, I say "No."
    Think Kolibri. Think .22 BB, CB, or Short.
    To be deadly, some guns need to be pointed at the recipient's medulla oblongata from no more than an inch or two away. Other guns need to be so carefully aimed from any further distance at a specific sensitive spot, that they are not "deadly" in any normal person's hands.

    But you're merely begging the question, not asking seriously.

    The problem to which I refer is the naive, uncritical neophyte who believes the advertising he reads.
    That's the sort of person, I think, who posted his opinion that the Judge loaded with some sort of .410 shotshell was "deadly."

    You can't merely aver something and then walk away. If you intend to present a fact, you have to be ready and able to back it up with meaningful, repeatable experimental data.

    Todd, you know as well as I do that people come to this forum for advice, direction, and help. What kind of advice, direction, or help are we offering, if we do not question and debunk foolish and ill-thought-out, seemingly-definitive statements made by people who obviously don't really know what they are writing about?

  11. #11
    gmounce is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    20
    Steve all I've shot with it has been a few gallons of water at 10 feet. I will not debate this issue with you since your an expert I guess. Your one of the reasons why most people don't post on these type forums.

    And one question for the expert do you want to get shot at close range with 000 buck threw the judge????

  12. #12
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,386
    Quote Originally Posted by gmounce View Post
    Steve all I've shot with it has been a few gallons of water at 10 feet...
    Ah, so now we know that the Judge is deadly against...water.
    OK.

    Quote Originally Posted by gmounce View Post
    I will not debate this issue with you since your an expert I guess...
    Far from it.
    But I do have somewhat more experience than you do, and that counts for something.
    I also do not take advertisements at face value.
    I suggest that you take a look at The Box o' Truth website, and see what they say about the Judge.

    Quote Originally Posted by gmounce View Post
    Your one of the reasons why most people don't post on these type forums...
    The only thing that keeps people from posting on these forums, when they are confronted by unwelcome truth, is an uncritical belief in advertising and the miraculous, and a need to adhere to their own opinions in the face of real facts.
    If you don't want answers to your questions, or useful information, or debate upon your cherished (if misguided) beliefs, then you would be right not to post.

    Quote Originally Posted by gmounce View Post
    And one question for the expert do you want to get shot at close range with 000 buck threw the judge????
    I'd rather not get shot at any range by anything.
    But I am pretty sure that, even at age 72 and arthritic, I could survive triple-ought buckshot out of a Judge, at least long enough to clean my opponent's clock.

    The question, however, is not my preference in being hit by which cartridge from what platform, but rather which cartridges from what platforms will most effectively stop a fight the most quickly.
    I respectfully submit that the Judge firing .410 buckshot does not fit the category in question.

  13. #13
    gmounce is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    20
    Ok Steve I will just disagree with you on this one.

    I'm now finished with this and you have a good day.

  14. #14
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    But you're merely begging the question, not asking seriously.

    The problem to which I refer is the naive, uncritical neophyte who believes the advertising he reads.
    That's the sort of person, I think, who posted his opinion that the Judge loaded with some sort of .410 shotshell was "deadly."

    You can't merely aver something and then walk away. If you intend to present a fact, you have to be ready and able to back it up with meaningful, repeatable experimental data.
    Yeah, my comment was definitely a tongue-in-cheek comment aimed at anyone who mindlessly regurgitates marketing hype.


    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    Todd, you know as well as I do that people come to this forum for advice, direction, and help. What kind of advice, direction, or help are we offering, if we do not question and debunk foolish and ill-thought-out, seemingly-definitive statements made by people who obviously don't really know what they are writing about?
    I'm with you 100%. Debunk and question away, I've got no issue with it.

  15. #15
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gmounce View Post
    Your one of the reasons why most people don't post on these type forums.
    Seems to me if we had more people like Steve, who expect people to back up their opinions with facts instead of just following blindly with what is told to them, we'd be better off. Just look at the mess we're in now by stupid people following the word "Change" without demanding any facts or proof to back it.

    If people like Steve are one of the reasons why people don't post here, fine with me.

  16. #16
    dosborn's Avatar
    dosborn is offline Member HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Springfield, MO
    Posts
    882
    I have shot a Judge but have not attempted to kill anything with it. I am not a professional but from my experience with this gun and a .410 000 buck it could be very deadly. I don't know how close you would have to be but I would be confident in it protecting me from a BG 10-15 feet away. I don't think it take a dumb ass or a smart ass to figure it out.

  17. #17
    JeffWard's Avatar
    JeffWard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    St Pete Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,932
    Could a Judge from 10 ft be deadly with 000 Buck? Of course it could!

    Is the Judge, loaded with 5 rounds of 000 Buck, the most effective manstopper around for the money, the size, the weight, etc. I submit there are a few hundred better solutions to the problem.

    It's a cool novelty gun. I'd submit, unrivaled for snake defense, carried on a belt, out hiking, where legal.

    VS a two-legged adversary? I'll take one of 50 other common defensive guns first.

    If you want a shotgun, buy a shotgun. If you want a defensive revolver, buy one that isn't 2 feet long...

    My 2 cents.

    PS.... I like Steve's responses!

    JeffWard

  18. #18
    jay7's Avatar
    jay7 is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Saco Me
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    Oh?
    What did you kill with it?
    How do you know that it's "deadly"?
    Please tell us.
    well ill back him up and say it is, i own one, at 10 feet the .410 will take down any man infront of it, and yes i have used it , shot a fisher cat at 20ft, nothing left of the fisher..........although im not saying its the best revolver around for self defense, but if i were faced with an attacker, and there was a Judge laying there......i would have no problems with trusting that if indeed aimed correctly and not at ones self, or appendange.........that it would effectively and i think quite painfully........get the job done lol, but then again a jennings .25 with a round in the chamber aimed carefully to the temple or eye socket will do the same thing.......to his or her own i guess

  19. #19
    Bisley's Avatar
    Bisley is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,433
    Quote Originally Posted by jay7 View Post
    well ill back him up and say it is, i own one, at 10 feet the .410 will take down any man infront of it, and yes i have used it , shot a fisher cat at 20ft, nothing left of the fisher..........although im not saying its the best revolver around for self defense, but if i were faced with an attacker, and there was a Judge laying there......i would have no problems with trusting that if indeed aimed correctly and not at ones self, or appendange.........that it would effectively and i think quite painfully........get the job done lol, but then again a jennings .25 with a round in the chamber aimed carefully to the temple or eye socket will do the same thing.......to his or her own i guess
    I don't believe you.

    First off, a cat is not a man, and a .410 shotgun will not disintegrate a cat at 25 yards, though it may kill it, when fired from a real shotgun.

    I think Steve's remarks are closer to the reality.

  20. #20
    dondavis3's Avatar
    dondavis3 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dallas / Fort Worth Texas Area
    Posts
    1,871
    I own one & have shot it quite a bit - it shoots very well for what it is, The .45 LC is very accurate at 30 yards (if the shooter is).

    And I believe that .45 Long Colt have killed lots of things.

    The 410 with 00 or 000 shot's gotta be a bitch to be shot with - heck the 7 1/2 shot would have to slow someone down unless they are on crack (Then you'd need a .45, opps it's got a .45 LC)

    I wouldn't want to be shot by it.



Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

are taurus judges deadly?
,
bead sight for winchester 1200 shotgun
,
can you change barrels on a taurus judge
,
can you hunt squirrels with a pistol in ohio
,
change barrel on judge
,
front bead sight for 12 gauge winchester 1200
,
front seat gun holster
,
how do you know if you have a 2 1/2 or 3 inch judge
,
how effective is the judge at 15 ft
,
other guns like the judge
,
ow deadly is no 8 shot for .410 in the judge
,
problems with the taurus defender pistol
,

taurus judge 410 deadly

,
taurus judge dfw
,

taurus judge how do people like it

,
taurus judge problems
,
taurus judge, dfw area
,

taurus public defender problems

,
the judge is deadly at close range
,
the judge pistol forum
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1