Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43
  1. #1
    SuckLead's Avatar
    SuckLead is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,353

    What's the Catch?

    Ok, I haven't heard any complaints about the XD yet, any of them. It is looking like the perfect handgun, and I can tell you this: we can't keep the damn things on the shelf. We sold six of them in under a week and that was a slow week.

    So what's the catch? Someone be honest with me here. I'm trying to find out as much as I can on any handguns I am selling, and want to be honest with people. So what do you not like about XDs? I know at least most of the good stuff, I want some dirt now, too. Thanks!

  2. Ads
  3. #2
    Shipwreck's Avatar
    Shipwreck is online now HGF Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Beretta City, Texas
    Posts
    10,733
    Well, I do not have 1 - But, I have read a lot of rusting complaints even among XD fanatics on the XD forum. And, for now, only the 45 XD has the new melonite finish. They are supposed to phase it into the other models as well -- but from what the consensus is on the XD forum, that has not occurred yet. I've also read about some locking block issues and some people with peening issues. Although to be fair - every gun company makes a few lemons.

    And, I've even seen some people complaining lately about peening on Glocks. I was a bit surprised about that...

    I'm not an XD fan myself, but it seems that everyone is crazy about them

    Last Nov, I almost bought a green XD new at the Houston gunshow for $385. That was a GREAT deal. Now, they have raised the price of the guns, though. They are about at the same price of a Glock now.

  4. #3
    Baldy's Avatar
    Baldy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Port St.John,FL.
    Posts
    6,741
    The one and only I shot is very easy to bring back on target, and the fire power is great. It's dead on at 30' to 40'. I know the gun can reach out her, but my old eyes will not. This was the 5" barrel model. If I was in the market for another plastic gun I think it would be the XD.

  5. #4
    Alpacino is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    55
    what's locking block? and what's peening? I just bought my xd-45 and by the way shipwreck thanks for all your help with the info on my past thread. But my gun supposedly according to the serial number was produced/manufactured/shipped in September. So would mine have the new melonite finishing or is it something I would have to call about again?

  6. #5
    Dustoff '68 Guest

    Thumbs up Since March of this year....

    ...all XD's have the melonite finish...don't know if yours has it? Call SA, and they can tell you by Serial #. As for why they are selling like hot cakes? It's a great weapon...we just see the reviews here in America, but reviews in Europe, Asia, and Australia call the HS 2000 (which is what they are called outside the USA) the most significant new pistol since the advent of the 1911. Many say that the XD borrows from other pistol designs...I say they improved on some...the 1911 style grip, the SIG take down lever, the H&K style barrel, improved ergonomics and magazine capacity over the Glock...in time, the XD will be what all other pistol manufacturers will want to be.

  7. #6
    Shipwreck's Avatar
    Shipwreck is online now HGF Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Beretta City, Texas
    Posts
    10,733
    Well, people on the XD forum are still saying otherwise about the melonite - its said that only the 45 has it. That being said - I don't have one, but I go there pretty much everyday (I used to pwn a Springfield 1911, so thats why I got into the habit of going to the site - they also talk about other Springfield products).

    As for peening - Its where the metal bends in a "peeling" fashing. - usually on the edges - quite often where the slide and barrel meet. I once had a Colt 380 that peened on the slide where the slide stop caught it.

  8. #7
    Dustoff '68 Guest

    Nope............

    Quote Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
    Well, people on the XD forum are still saying otherwise about the melonite - its said that only the 45 has it. That being said - I don't have one, but I go there pretty much everyday (I used to pwn a Springfield 1911, so thats why I got into the habit of going to the site - they also talk about other Springfield products).

    As for peening - Its where the metal bends in a "peeling" fashing. - usually on the edges - quite often where the slide and barrel meet. I once had a Colt 380 that peened on the slide where the slide stop caught it.

    ...read the forums carefully....e-mails from SA, and several posts show that ALL XD's now come in melonite...those on the market that don't, are just NOS...even the SA website states as such...

  9. #8
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    I've got an XD40 Service model and love it. The thing eats any ammo I feed it without a hiccup, it shoots accurately, and the ergonomics are great. Even though the prices are increasing, I still think it's one of the best values on the market today. I'm in the market for a smaller CCW gun and the XD40SC is definitely on the short list (although the Walther P99C also has my eye).

    The only complaint I have heard is the rust, which I have never experienced. But I do clean and oil my gun every week, whether it has been fired or not, so that may be the deciding factor there.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Grande Pradera, TX
    Posts
    760
    The only thing I don't like about the XD is the lack of a subcompact (3-inch) .45ACP.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    170
    I've got the Subcomp in 9mm and I haven't regretted it once. It's a fun little gun to shoot, and incredibly easy to maintain. It fits my hand well, and it much more accurate for me than either my Beretta or my 1911.

    I just took my wife shooting a week ago and brought along my XD and my Beretta 96. We also rented one of those little .38 snubbies ("Airlight", or wtf they call it) for my wife...her decision "Because it's cute." Well, I knew she wouldn't like the .38 and I was right. She put about 3 rounds thru it and then asked to try my XD. I wish I could've seen the look on my face when she wanted to trade!! "You mean I've gotta shoot the other 47 rds thru that .38?! NOOOOO!!!!" That was a sad moment. Anyway, back on track, she LOVED the XD! She didn't want to put it down! Now I'm looking for another 9mm because she'll be shooting the XD from now on most likely.

  12. #11
    Rustycompass's Avatar
    Rustycompass is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Pawley's Island
    Posts
    1,126

    Thumbs up yep

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    I've got an XD40 Service model and love it. The thing eats any ammo I feed it without a hiccup, it shoots accurately, and the ergonomics are great. Even though the prices are increasing, I still think it's one of the best values on the market today.

    The only complaint I have heard is the rust, which I have never experienced. But I do clean and oil my gun every week, whether it has been fired or not, so that may be the deciding factor there.
    ~ what he said ... only I have a service 45 .....

  13. #12
    wickedXD Guest
    well there ya go Sucklead...not many complaints. I have the XD 45 service and its great...my finish is good...although I clean Once a week and after every range trip. But its a bad ass gun...thats why you can't keep them in stock. Nothing like firing 14 rounds of 45acp in about 7 seconds! WOW damn I love this gun!


  14. #13
    SuckLead's Avatar
    SuckLead is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,353
    Well, I asked because customers are starting to think I'm pulling one over on them. I give them the pros and cons to just about every gun (I even found pros about guns I hate! Go me!) but I am lacking on the XD. With the price going up it's making me look like a used car sales person. LOL!

    Now a number of months ago someone was saying something about their XD45 not feeding well after a certain amount of rounds (it was over 1000) and he took a hammer to it to fix the issue. I assume this is the peening, but that was the only complaint I have heard yet.

    I do hope the price doesn't go up too much because a huge draw, at least in this area, is the price of the gun even with all the goodies they give you with the gun (even the ones that come with the light already are well priced).

  15. #14
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    I hate to interrupt the XD love fest, but:

    1. The bore axis is high, which increases muzzle flip compared to designs that sit lower in the hand.

    2. The trigger reset is long, which slows speed of accurate rapid fire compared to designs with shorter resets.

    3. When detail stripped, some parts can apparently be put in backwards on reassembly. The gun will go back together, but won't function.

    It's a good gun, but far from perfect. It's worth the money, but the bore axis and trigger will eventually frustrate skilled practical/defensive shooters because they won't be able to shoot to their potential. There are reasons you mainly see 1911s and Glocks in the holsters of really serious shooters - low bore axis and short trigger reset.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  16. #15
    Rustycompass's Avatar
    Rustycompass is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Pawley's Island
    Posts
    1,126
    Hey Mike,
    I just have to ask ... Are you on the "Glock payroll"...?

  17. #16
    Shipwreck's Avatar
    Shipwreck is online now HGF Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Beretta City, Texas
    Posts
    10,733
    Quote Originally Posted by rustycompass View Post
    Hey Mike,
    I just have to ask ... Are you on the "Glock payroll"...?
    Apparently

    Seriously - U will see that everyone is super passionate about their fav gun brand - whether it be Glock, a 1911, an XD, or a Walther...

    Religion and gun brands can start wars

  18. #17
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
    Apparently

    Seriously - U will see that everyone is super passionate about their fav gun brand - whether it be Glock, a 1911, an XD, or a Walther...

    Religion and gun brands can start wars
    I didn't know there was someone on this board that is partial to Walthers. Hmmm ..... I wonder who that might be?

  19. #18
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    Quote Originally Posted by rustycompass View Post
    Hey Mike,
    I just have to ask ... Are you on the "Glock payroll"...?
    Ha! I wish!

    In all seriousness, I still think the Glock and the 1911 are the best defensive pistols out there. The HK P7 is awesome, but expensive and hard to find. Low bore axis and short trigger reset make a difference to shooters who are able to shoot close to a gun's design limits. I hate watching a gun flip way up and I hate a long reset because they both slow my splits. My splits with Glocks and 1911 are about .10-.15 faster than high bore axis/long reset guns.

    I grant that most people aren't this serious. But I see very few XDs in the holsters of really serious shooters. The only one that pops immediately to mind is Rob Leatham, but of course he works for Springfield.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  20. #19
    Rustycompass's Avatar
    Rustycompass is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Pawley's Island
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
    Apparently

    Seriously - U will see that everyone is super passionate about their fav gun brand - whether it be Glock, a 1911, an XD, or a Walther...

    Religion and gun brands can start wars
    ~ yeah, just messing with him cause he often slips a "Glock reference" in on his posts . I don't own one but I always hear good things about them.
    But Mr. Gaston Glock should hire Mike for a REP they both would do well...

  21. #20
    Rustycompass's Avatar
    Rustycompass is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Pawley's Island
    Posts
    1,126

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barham at Galco View Post
    Ha! I wish!
    I grant that most people aren't this serious. But I see very few XDs in the holsters of really serious shooters. The only one that pops immediately to mind is Rob Leatham, but of course he works for Springfield.
    ~ Hey Mike, just yankin' your chain alittle ... you bring great posts to the table..

  22. #21
    scooter's Avatar
    scooter is offline Supporting Member - Legally Armed Scooter Trash
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,031
    Quote Originally Posted by rustycompass View Post
    ~ Hey Mike, just yankin' your chain alittle ... you bring great posts to the table..
    Well now I dunno
    Saw a new Glock ad tutherday,went like this


    GLOCK ,for those that just cant afford a quality firearm.





















    Betcha I catch some caca for this one huh?

  23. #22
    SuckLead's Avatar
    SuckLead is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,353
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    GLOCK ,for those that just cant afford a quality firearm.
    *falls off chair laughing hysterically... gasping for breath* I'm ok now! Thanks, gonna use that one in the next little hate fest we have at work towards each other's chosen carry gun.

  24. #23
    SuckLead's Avatar
    SuckLead is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barham at Galco View Post
    I hate to interrupt the XD love fest, but:

    1. The bore axis is high, which increases muzzle flip compared to designs that sit lower in the hand.

    2. The trigger reset is long, which slows speed of accurate rapid fire compared to designs with shorter resets.

    3. When detail stripped, some parts can apparently be put in backwards on reassembly. The gun will go back together, but won't function.

    It's a good gun, but far from perfect. It's worth the money, but the bore axis and trigger will eventually frustrate skilled practical/defensive shooters because they won't be able to shoot to their potential. There are reasons you mainly see 1911s and Glocks in the holsters of really serious shooters - low bore axis and short trigger reset.
    Thanks! Gonna hit the range with one sometime this week and check especially for these issues (including the break down). Nice to have something to give them other than "this gun is so wonderful" especially when it's not really my chosen brand. Knew there was something in there!

  25. #24
    Rustycompass's Avatar
    Rustycompass is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Pawley's Island
    Posts
    1,126
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    Well now I dunno
    Saw a new Glock ad tutherday,went like this GLOCK ,for those that just cant afford a quality firearm.

    Betcha I catch some caca for this one huh?
    if not.... your missing a good chance

  26. #25
    wickedXD Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SuckLead View Post
    Thanks! Gonna hit the range with one sometime this week and check especially for these issues (including the break down). Nice to have something to give them other than "this gun is so wonderful" especially when it's not really my chosen brand. Knew there was something in there!

    Don't do that SUCKLEAD....I don't think Mike own an XD or has shot one enough to know...first off the muzzle flip on my XD45 is not bad at all....don't know what he is talking about...2nd....only a dumb ass could put the 3 main pieces of XD back together wrong...if thats to hard...he has no reason to own a pistol...and as for no serious shooters carring a XD....like Mike said " Rob Leatham" enough said. Oh and as for the trigger...if unloading 14 rounds of .45acp in less than about 3 seconds is not fast enough for ya...whateva. THE GUN ROCKS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •