Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    xdshootergirl's Avatar
    xdshootergirl is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    12

    OK to Dry Fire my XD9?

    Is it OK to dry fire my XD9? I am assuming that since yo need to dry fire when doing to field strip it would be alright, but I wanted to check with others first. I want to practice my stance and aiming. Thanks!!

  2. #2
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    Yes, but spend the few bucks and buy some snap caps anyway. They're cheap insurance.

  3. #3
    DevilsJohnson is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Yes, but spend the few bucks and buy some snap caps anyway. They're cheap insurance.
    +1
    They are just too inexpensive to not have. They are a lot cheaper than a firing pin/striker anyway

  4. #4
    xdshootergirl's Avatar
    xdshootergirl is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    12

    thanks!

    Thanks for the info. I did buy some snap caps when I was at the range. Since I have not had any jams (yet), the guy at the gun shop told me it would be good practice for clearing jams. He also suggested that my fiance and I load each other's magazines at the range, and every 100 rounds or so, slip a snap cap in there so if we are in a self-defense situation, it would be more instinctual to clear the jam right away rather than sitting there, firing again and again while someone is getting closer and closer.

  5. #5
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by xdshootergirl View Post
    Thanks for the info. I did buy some snap caps when I was at the range. Since I have not had any jams (yet), the guy at the gun shop told me it would be good practice for clearing jams. He also suggested that my fiance and I load each other's magazines at the range, and every 100 rounds or so, slip a snap cap in there so if we are in a self-defense situation, it would be more instinctual to clear the jam right away rather than sitting there, firing again and again while someone is getting closer and closer.
    This is excellent advice. This has helped many people I know (including myself). You don't even have to do clearing drills right away. This is an excellent way to see your trigger control first hand.

  6. #6
    jimmy's Avatar
    jimmy is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by xdshootergirl View Post
    it would be more instinctual to clear the jam right away rather than sitting there, firing again and again while someone is getting closer and closer.
    I am not sure if you can fire again and again in an XD9..It is a striker mechanism design and not a DA/SA..So you have to rack the slide any way to fire again..This will clear the jam and prep the trigger for firing. Just an observation so you would know what to expect.

  7. #7
    BeefyBeefo's Avatar
    BeefyBeefo is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    2,873
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    I am not sure if you can fire again and again in an XD9..It is a striker mechanism design and not a DA/SA..So you have to rack the slide any way to fire again..This will clear the jam and prep the trigger for firing. Just an observation so you would know what to expect.
    I believe she is talking about malfunction clearing drills at the range.

  8. #8
    jimmy's Avatar
    jimmy is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by BeefyBeefo View Post
    I believe she is talking about malfunction clearing drills at the range.
    Well, made me think of the scenario is the phrase used by xdshootergirl "while someone is getting closer and closer. "..I pictured that someone had a misfired or bad round and kept pulling the trigger over and over in hope of firing that bullet while "the bad guy is getting closer and closer" ... rather than just racking the slide and moving on to the next round in the magazine..

    My appology if I get it wrong.

  9. #9
    xdshootergirl's Avatar
    xdshootergirl is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    12
    I was talking about pulling the trigger again and again when you have a jam, and the snap cap training would make it easier for me to realize to rack it back when I have a jam, then fire instead of pulling the trigger over and over. This would be in a self-defense situation, becuase I believe my first instinct would be to keep pulling the trigger.

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

can i dry fire my xd9
,
can you dry fire a springfield xdm
,
can you dry fire springfield xdm
,

dry fire xd9

,

dry firing springfield xd 9

,

dry firing xd 9

,
firing pin gor sa xd9
,
how does a xd9mm fire
,
springfield xd 9 dry fire
,
springfield xd 9mm dry fire
,
xd9 dry firing
,
xdm dry fire
Click on a term to search for related topics.