Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Nra-Life-Member's Avatar
    Nra-Life-Member is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    76

    S&W 4006 - Generation? How can I tell

    Help Please!!

    The gun is all stainless .40 S&W. Model 4006..

    How can I tell if a 4006 is a 2nd or 3rd generation S&W? Is there a Serlal number range on the generation?

    I was looking to purchase, but the dealer did not know.


    Thanks!!

  2. Ads
  3. #2
    Baldy's Avatar
    Baldy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Port St.John,FL.
    Posts
    6,741
    Hey Nra-Life if I am not mistaken the .40 S&W didn't come out untill the 3rd generation. So if it's a .40 S&W it's a 3rd generation. Great gun. Good luck.

  4. #3
    Nra-Life-Member's Avatar
    Nra-Life-Member is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    76
    Thank You! I appreciate the input.

  5. #4
    Baldy's Avatar
    Baldy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Port St.John,FL.
    Posts
    6,741
    Your more than welcome.

  6. #5
    Vom Kriege's Avatar
    Vom Kriege is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    336
    All 4006s will be third generation. A general rule for S&W autos is two-digit for first generation, 3 digit for second generation, and four-digit for third generation.

    Once exception to the rule is the value line series, which has a three-digit number but has wrap around grips (around the backstrap) like all other third generation pistols.

  7. #6
    Nra-Life-Member's Avatar
    Nra-Life-Member is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    76
    Thank You!

  8. #7
    Bearcat's Avatar
    Bearcat is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
    Hey Nra-Life if I am not mistaken the .40 S&W didn't come out untill the 3rd generation. So if it's a .40 S&W it's a 3rd generation. Great gun. Good luck.

    That is affirmative.....And they are great pistols. Buy it!

  9. #8
    Vibe's Avatar
    Vibe is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Vom Kriege View Post
    All 4006s will be third generation. A general rule for S&W autos is two-digit for first generation, 3 digit for second generation, and four-digit for third generation.

    Once exception to the rule is the value line series, which has a three-digit number but has wrap around grips (around the backstrap) like all other third generation pistols.
    OK. So that would imply that my 411 is also a Third Gen pistol. Do ALL of the 3rd Gen 40s have the decocker failure problem that I've read about? Or was that strictly on the 10mm frame mounted decockers?
    Last edited by Vibe; 07-11-2007 at 11:57 AM.

  10. #9
    Mike Barham's Avatar
    Mike Barham is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Arizona, baby!
    Posts
    5,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Vibe View Post
    OK. So that would imply that my 411 is also a Third Gen pistol. Do ALL of the 3rd Gen 40s have the decocker failure problem that I've read about? Or was that strictly on the 10mm frame mounted decockers?
    I've never heard of it outside the silly FBI-style 10mms. The normal slide-mounted decocker, while clumsy, seems perfectly functional.
    Employed by Galco Gunleather - www.galcogunleather.com / Veteran OEF VIII

    Donate to the Christian and Stephanie Nielson Recovery fund: http://www.nierecovery.com/.

    All opinions, particularly those involving politics and Glocks, are mine and not Galco's.

  11. #10
    Vibe's Avatar
    Vibe is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Barham View Post
    I've never heard of it outside the silly FBI-style 10mms. The normal slide-mounted decocker, while clumsy, seems perfectly functional.
    Thanks.

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

how much is a s&w 4006 worth
,
s&w 4006 review
,
s&w 4006
,

s&w 4006 review

,
s&w 4006 reviews
,

s&w 4006 value

,
s&w mod 4006
,
s&w model 4006 review
,
smith & wesson 4006 review
,

smith and wesson 4006 review

,
smith and wesson 4006 value
,
smith and wesson model 4006 value
Click on a term to search for related topics.