Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    trevorlay's Avatar
    trevorlay is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    35

    Cool practical to conceal carry a full size M&P 9mm?

    I plan on getting my CCW as soon as I can find a good class, I only have the full size 9mm (wish I could afford the shield..) anyways.. is it doable to conceal a full-size M&P? Thanks for your time and comments!

  2. #2
    SouthernBoy's Avatar
    SouthernBoy is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Va
    Posts
    2,197
    It can be effectively concealed with the right holster and clothing. However, the 4.25" barrel versions or the compacts are, of course, better at this. You could always wear a journalist vest and get a good cover with that.

  3. #3
    chessail77's Avatar
    chessail77 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    White Mtns. in AZ
    Posts
    1,349
    Concealing a full size weapon is done every day.......JJ

  4. #4
    clance's Avatar
    clance is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    USA/SW Michigan
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    It can be effectively concealed with the right holster and clothing. However, the 4.25" barrel versions or the compacts are, of course, better at this. You could always wear a journalist vest and get a good cover with that.
    The journalist vest is as obvious as the fanny pack here a few years ago. I know, I have one that I use to use when I work in the personal protection industry and have stop using cause eveyone and their brother (at least around my area) seem to have started to use one to cover their EDC.

    I agree, an effective conceal carry depends on them most part a good holster, belt and the type of clothing you're going to be wearing. But length of a barrel isn't the problem with most conceal carries, it's the grip heel and the type of grips used. Depending on what I'm wearing will dictate how I carry. In the summer knocking around in shorts and short sleeve shirts I carry either a CZ75 D PCR with a full size upper or a Kahr TP-9. In each case the barrel length is 4"- 4.5" which is easily concealed in the waist band (I've carried a 1911 Govt. this way as well) of my shorts with the short sleeved shirt untuck to cover it. To keep the shirt from opening up and exposing my pistol I button a couple of buttons at the bottom, if I'm in a suit and tie I use a quality pancake holster at 4 o'clock so the grip lays flat against my back.

    Of course a single stack is going to be easier to conceal then a double, and a compact grip is easier still. Most manufacturers realize that more and more individuals are carrying so they have been contouring the heel of the grip to lower the heel's signature. The heel is the sharp point which like on a standard 1911 is a sharp angle that presents a point in your clothing when carried. That is why several manufacturers of 1911 are now offering a "Bobtail" option but for some reason they still mount "rubber" grips on their pistols.

    The rubber grip which makes the pistol more comfortable to shoot a couple hundred rounds at the range and provide a tacty non-slip surface for the shooter, also provides a tacty surface for cover garments or if carried in a bag to grab either signaturing that you got a pistol or making it difficult to draw cleanly. They're terrible for conceal carry and should be one of the first if not the first replacement items on any EDC with either a set of wood, metal or synthetic grips.

  5. #5
    zhurdan's Avatar
    zhurdan is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Wyoming
    Posts
    1,251
    Quote Originally Posted by chessail77 View Post
    Concealing a full size weapon is done every day.......JJ
    Indeed it is. I carry a full size M&P everyday. No one is the wiser.

  6. #6
    SouthernBoy's Avatar
    SouthernBoy is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Va
    Posts
    2,197
    Quote Originally Posted by clance View Post
    The journalist vest is as obvious as the fanny pack here a few years ago. I know, I have one that I use to use when I work in the personal protection industry and have stop using cause eveyone and their brother (at least around my area) seem to have started to use one to cover their EDC.

    I agree, an effective conceal carry depends on them most part a good holster, belt and the type of clothing you're going to be wearing. But length of a barrel isn't the problem with most conceal carries, it's the grip heel and the type of grips used. Depending on what I'm wearing will dictate how I carry. In the summer knocking around in shorts and short sleeve shirts I carry either a CZ75 D PCR with a full size upper or a Kahr TP-9. In each case the barrel length is 4"- 4.5" which is easily concealed in the waist band (I've carried a 1911 Govt. this way as well) of my shorts with the short sleeved shirt untuck to cover it. To keep the shirt from opening up and exposing my pistol I button a couple of buttons at the bottom, if I'm in a suit and tie I use a quality pancake holster at 4 o'clock so the grip lays flat against my back.

    Of course a single stack is going to be easier to conceal then a double, and a compact grip is easier still. Most manufacturers realize that more and more individuals are carrying so they have been contouring the heel of the grip to lower the heel's signature. The heel is the sharp point which like on a standard 1911 is a sharp angle that presents a point in your clothing when carried. That is why several manufacturers of 1911 are now offering a "Bobtail" option but for some reason they still mount "rubber" grips on their pistols.

    The rubber grip which makes the pistol more comfortable to shoot a couple hundred rounds at the range and provide a tacty non-slip surface for the shooter, also provides a tacty surface for cover garments or if carried in a bag to grab either signaturing that you got a pistol or making it difficult to draw cleanly. They're terrible for conceal carry and should be one of the first if not the first replacement items on any EDC with either a set of wood, metal or synthetic grips.
    All good points, in particular the slightly tacky grips getting hung up on a garment. I almost never wear a journalist vest, though I do have one. The OP was asking about a full size M&P which is going to print in most applications unless due thought is made as to clothing. That grip frame is significant. I also have a Kahr 'T' series, though mine is a T-9, not the polymer. I refuse to carry that gun because it is just so darned pretty, I'd hate to mar it up in any way. But it would be a good contender for concealed carry with a close fitting holster (which I have).

    On those few occasions that I do conceal, I just slip my shirt over my sidearm, which is generally either going to be a Glock compact (a 23 or a 19), or an M&P with the 4.25" barrel. If it prints, I don't really care since that is not an issue in my state since open carry is the normal (default, standard) mode of carrying here and is what I do most of the time.

  7. #7
    clance's Avatar
    clance is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    USA/SW Michigan
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    I also have a Kahr 'T' series, though mine is a T-9, not the polymer. I refuse to carry that gun because it is just so darned pretty, I'd hate to mar it up in any way. But it would be a good contender for concealed carry with a close fitting holster (which I have).
    I have one of the original TP-9s with the "P" size grip, why they ever went to the Tactical length grip is beyond my reasoning but they did. Anyway I generally carry without a holster when I carry it, the polymer/stainless lend itself to this carry and I find it a lot cooler then having a piece of leather or anything else up against my hip. When I call it a day I just pull it out and wipe it down with a silcon cloth and it's good to go. Nice thing about stainless is it's easy to refinish and I'm sure that Kahr would be more then happy to do that for you for a fee.

  8. #8
    trevorlay's Avatar
    trevorlay is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    35
    Thanks for all the advice I just put a Hogue rubber grip on it, did not think about how this would effect concealment till now.. Any ways I have a while till I even take the ccw class any ways. Thanks again!

  9. #9
    Bisley's Avatar
    Bisley is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    East Texas
    Posts
    1,424
    Find a good hybrid IWB holster, such as the Crossbreed, and adjust the cant to a fairly radical forward tilt, so that the grip is almost vertical. Buy a good sturdy belt and find the position around your waistline where the grip protrudes the least. Wear loose shirts that drape well.

    Of course, concealment isn't the hard part. The hard part is carrying the extra weight, all day every day. A good holster will greatly reduce chafing, but it still gets uncomfortable, and you will just have to learn to live with that, or wear a covering garment that will allow you to carry OWB - not practical for most folks, especially during summer.

  10. #10
    Shipwreck's Avatar
    Shipwreck is online now HGF Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Beretta City, Texas
    Posts
    10,838
    I've had some health issues with a pulled groin, and cannot carry IWB right now. But prior to that, I've carried a Beretta 92FS IWB every day for 2.5 years - even in summer time. I gotta put it at the 3 o'clock position with the holster, to do it. I'm not a hug guy either (6'1" - 185 lbs). Not that hard to do.

  11. #11
    trevorlay's Avatar
    trevorlay is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
    I've had some health issues with a pulled groin, and cannot carry IWB right now. But prior to that, I've carried a Beretta 92FS IWB every day for 2.5 years - even in summer time. I gotta put it at the 3 o'clock position with the holster, to do it. I'm not a hug guy either (6'1" - 185 lbs). Not that hard to do.
    Sorry to hear that, i'm a big guy so that may help your saying? 275 5'11''

  12. #12
    SouthernBoy's Avatar
    SouthernBoy is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Va
    Posts
    2,197
    Quote Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post
    I've had some health issues with a pulled groin, and cannot carry IWB right now. But prior to that, I've carried a Beretta 92FS IWB every day for 2.5 years - even in summer time. I gotta put it at the 3 o'clock position with the holster, to do it. I'm not a hug guy either (6'1" - 185 lbs). Not that hard to do.
    I feel for you there, friend. I pulled my right groin muscle this past March, the re-injured it two more times. Took around 6-8 weeks to finally heal up. That hurt more than a hamstring injury I got in 1991.

  13. #13
    surferdaddy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3
    You could consider getting the the grip cut down, bowie tactical does it if I'm not mistaken. Then you could carry with compact mags or full size with an adapter, your choice.

  14. #14
    Shipwreck's Avatar
    Shipwreck is online now HGF Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Beretta City, Texas
    Posts
    10,838
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    I feel for you there, friend. I pulled my right groin muscle this past March, the re-injured it two more times. Took around 6-8 weeks to finally heal up. That hurt more than a hamstring injury I got in 1991.
    Thanks. I am getting better slowly, but it's gonna be a while before I can carry the 92 (belts gotta be rather tight to hold up the weight).

    My issue is that I have pain radiating up to my waist, exactly where a belt buckle would go. I've seen a lot of specialists, and no one knows why this is the case. But all the tests are normal. Its getting better as I heal - so, it should eventually go away

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

best holster for m&p 9mm

,

concealed carry s&w m&p 9mm full size

,
holster for full size mp 9 mm
,

holster for s&w m&p 9mm full size

,
m&p 9 4.25 conceal carry
,

m&p 9 for concealed carry

,

m&p 9mm full size ccw

,

m&p 9mm iwb holster

,
most comfortable holster for m&p 9mm
,

the best carry to conceal holster for m&p 9mm

,
what holster do i need for a smith ans wessom m&p 9mm pistol
,
whats a good concealed holster for full size 9 m&p
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1