Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47
  1. #1
    caloy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24

    new S&W governor

    Hi! Just wondering if any of you guys saw the new S&W governor at the shotshow. Comparing it to the taurus judge,it has 6 instead of 5 in cylinder and fires 410,45 LC and 45ACP in whatever combination in the cylinder(at least that's what I read so far) . My question is do you need moonclips to use the 45ACP and if you do how do you mix the 410 shotshell in same cylinder. How do you guys feel about this move by S&W to follow the same direction TAURUS did with the judge. I ,personally did not get the judge just because it's a taurus but now that S&W has the governor I might be interested in acquiring one. MSRP for governor starts at $679 with CT grip $900? ,release date sometime February'2011.

  2. #2
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,387
    Yes, using .45 ACP cartridges will require the use of clips, 1/2-moon or full-moon.

    S&W's "Governor" is no better an idea than Taurus's "Judge." It's merely more expensive.
    The .410 shotgun shell, regardless of what comes out of it, is inadequate for self-protection. The .45 "Long" Colt and the .45 ACP deliver very similar ballistics, although the .45 "Long" Colt delivers a heavier bullet going slightly slower.

    But if you're going to shoot .45 "Long" Colt or .45 ACP cartridges, why not start off with a pistol that fires one of them (or both) out of a properly-sized cylinder, rather than the inaccuracy-promoting, too-long cylinders of the "Governor" and the "Judge"?

    Both the "Governor" and the "Judge" are merely gimmicks, their design criteria being to part you from your money. The only beneficiary, were you to buy one, would be the manufacturer's sales force.

  3. #3
    bruce333's Avatar
    bruce333 is offline HGF Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wilson's Mills, NC
    Posts
    2,496
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    Both the "Governor" and the "Judge" are merely gimmicks, their design criteria being to part you from your money. The only beneficiary, were you to buy one, would be the manufacturer's sales force.
    Bruce, Life Member: NRA, NCRPA, GRNC, GOA

    Naval Air Museum Barbers Point

    "I personally think we developed language because of our deep inner need to complain."--Jane Wagner
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom."
    -Isaac Asimov

  4. #4
    caloy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24
    Here's the Video and another Video

    Attach are the youtube videolinks for your added info. I kinda like the looks of it better than the taurus judge.

  5. #5
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,387
    Quote Originally Posted by caloy View Post
    ...I kinda like the looks of it better than the taurus judge.
    Quoting the second video: "...And it's also black!"

  6. #6
    ozzy's Avatar
    ozzy is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hendertucky Nv.
    Posts
    198
    WHY? It's a bad marketing gimmick as far as I'm concerned. I would still rather have a auto with 2 back-up mags for a total of 31 rounds. I only carry the gun with no xtras, I like dangerous.

  7. #7
    Ala Tom is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Northern Alabama
    Posts
    84
    People should be aware this is a very short-range weapon, good up to about 10 feet. I was having a nice day shooting my .22 on an indoor range when a guy came in and took the lane next to me. (We actually stand in booths so you don't see what your neighbor is shooting.) He set a "man" target at about 5 feet where I could barely see it. The BLAM from his gun almost lifted me off my feet. But I am sure it was just one shot. Yet I looked at his target and the entire torso was full of small to medium holes with a couple of holes you could put a finger through. It was a Taurus Judge he had just bought on sale and he was checking it out. He had 410 shells filled with a mix from bird to buck shot with a couple of 9 mm bullets included. The 5 foot shot would have been devastating. This is what you need when you answer the door and there's a guy pointing a gun at you asking for money.

    But he moved the target back to 10-12 feet. The only holes in the torso were the smaller shot. Most of the larger shot and the bullets missed. It looked like the bullets tumbled. Of course the subject would have died of fright!

    But for the door attack I could put three quikies into a guy with my .40 and be just as effective.

  8. #8
    mag318's Avatar
    mag318 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    29
    My local gun shop just received his first allotment of Governors. I was hoping I wouldn't like it but holding it in my hand I really liked it, and the price was right so I bought it. First off this is a very well built revolver and it feels very good in hand. The action is extremely smooth with that perfect S&W timing. When I first saw photos of it I thought it was ugly, but no so in person. It comes with several full moon clips for 45 acp plus 6 1/3 moon clips that hold 2 rounds. Now that is neat, you can really mix and match loads with these new clips. For those who think these 410/45 revolvers are useless go to You-Tube and click on Hickok45s test of a 3" Taurus Judge. Besides the super wide close in patterns he shoots a gong at 80 yards with ease. I haven't shot mine yet but will sometime this weekend and report back. The Judge has been a tremendous success for Taurus so S&W wisely entered this segment of the market with what I feel is a superior product. Time will tell......

  9. #9
    HARTLOCK is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4
    I shot a buddies taurs judge, and really was impressed by the pattern his shot, shooting
    at sticks and other floating objects in the river on his place in Pearsall, Texas. The thing
    that surprised me the most was the recoil. I wasnt expecting it to kick as hard as it did.
    It wasnt that bad, but surprised me, anyway. I wouldnt buy one, but I could see that
    if you were in an area that had lots of snakes how it could come in handy.

  10. #10
    Packard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Posts
    1,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    Yes, using .45 ACP cartridges will require the use of clips, 1/2-moon or full-moon.

    S&W's "Governor" is no better an idea than Taurus's "Judge." It's merely more expensive.
    The .410 shotgun shell, regardless of what comes out of it, is inadequate for self-protection. The .45 "Long" Colt and the .45 ACP deliver very similar ballistics, although the .45 "Long" Colt delivers a heavier bullet going slightly slower.

    But if you're going to shoot .45 "Long" Colt or .45 ACP cartridges, why not start off with a pistol that fires one of them (or both) out of a properly-sized cylinder, rather than the inaccuracy-promoting, too-long cylinders of the "Governor" and the "Judge"?

    Both the "Governor" and the "Judge" are merely gimmicks, their design criteria being to part you from your money. The only beneficiary, were you to buy one, would be the manufacturer's sales force.
    I agree that this is not a very good idea for a handgun, but "It's merely more expensive." overlooks the manufacturing quality differences.

    As for its application: When I used to climb in Red Rock Canyon (outside of Vegas) I would have liked to have one around--we would disturb one or more rattlesnakes a day. I would imagine this is a good snake gun.

    I think this would make a fine assassin's gun if noise is not an issue. It leaves behind no casings and no ballistically traceable slugs. To achieve the same result in a semi-auto you could easily swap out the barrel, but you'd probably need a pistol smith to swap out the firing pin and extractor.

    So, in the end, a good, very close range assassin's weapon.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Northern UT
    Posts
    458
    The Judge is an answer to a question I've never thought to ask.
    The Governor is a more expensive answer to that same question.
    If one must have a revolver that fires a .410 shotgun cartridge for some reason, then spend the extra money and get the S&W.

  12. #12
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,387
    Quote Originally Posted by Packard View Post
    ...When I used to climb in Red Rock Canyon (outside of Vegas) I would have liked to have [a Judge or a Governor] around--we would disturb one or more rattlesnakes a day. I would imagine this is a good snake gun.
    When I used to shoot at an established range in the California high desert, I would see lots of rattlesnakes, all of whom I would quietly avoid. Those snakes ate the rats which destroyed our rifle targets by eating both paste and canvas. The snakes were doing us a favor, so all of us who used that range were pleased and content to leave those useful snakes alone.


    Quote Originally Posted by Packard View Post
    ...I think this would make a fine assassin's gun if noise is not an issue. It leaves behind no casings and no ballistically traceable slugs. To achieve the same result in a semi-auto you could easily swap out the barrel, but you'd probably need a pistol smith to swap out the firing pin and extractor.
    So, in the end, a good, very close range assassin's weapon.
    Were I a professional assassin, I would prefer not to get that close to my assigned target. To make a successful one-shot kill with a Judge or a Governor, one would have to be at muzzle-against-belly range, which would give the victim some amount of adversarial advantage.
    Also, were I a professional assassin, any gun I would use would not be traceable to me. Further, I am pretty sure that professional killers do not go to popular gun shops to procure their weapons, just as they do not fill out federal and state paperwork, so any attempt at a casing or rifling-marks trace would be futile. Such a trace would lead exactly nowhere.

  13. #13
    RogerDane is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2
    Well, "if" this revolver attracts more people to the shooting sports than it is "good" no matter that (perhaps) more experienced or practiced shooters prefer "their own" ideals. We are at a crossroads in America where a very large number of people have put into power groups that HATE shooters not because we 'shoot' or 'own guns' but because we represent the "ultimate" response to oppression and dictators. This S&W is not a 'bad' revolver nor does it 'suck' (as I saw on another forum someplace) and it has limitations and some might not want not want to kill rattlesnakes with it BUT if 10000 people are introduced to shooting because the firearm has a certain appeal to folks who might not have the time to get 2" groups at 5 yards than that IS GOOD for all of us who 'do' and I know a lot of men and some larger number of women who would like a little spread at 3 yards and feel comfortable at that... and if anyone wants to stand in front of the .410 with a blanket at 3 yards because they heard it won't penetrate, well... hey, who's stopping you. All stay safe!

  14. #14
    Lauvredis's Avatar
    Lauvredis is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    13
    I tried them out and I find them to be heavy weapons. The S & W has a much smoother trigger pull and it is an improvement.
    But, now you can purchase pellet ammo for all size pistols, 22lr, 9mm, 80 special, 45 etc. CCI is the mfg. I ordered some
    yesterday and expect delivery on the 22nd of August.
    Larry.

  15. #15
    Steve M1911A1's Avatar
    Steve M1911A1 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Washington State
    Posts
    5,387
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDane View Post
    ...I know a lot of men and some larger number of women who would like a little spread at 3 yards and feel comfortable at that... and if anyone wants to stand in front of the .410 with a blanket at 3 yards because they heard it won't penetrate, well... hey, who's stopping you...
    The real issue, regardless of the recruiting angle, is that both Judge and Governor will be pretty ineffective at stopping fights.
    And we all need to remember that to stop fights is the only appropriate reason for carrying a concealed defensive weapon.
    A new shooter who has been gulled into believing that his or her Judge or Governor will stop a fight at even the closest range may find him- or herself in even graver danger than before any shot was fired. The time would've been better spent dialing 911, running away, or seeking cover—or all of the above.

  16. #16
    RogerDane is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    The real issue, regardless of the recruiting angle, is that both Judge and Governor will be pretty ineffective at stopping fights.
    And we all need to remember that to stop fights is the only appropriate reason for carrying a concealed defensive weapon.
    A new shooter who has been gulled into believing that his or her Judge or Governor will stop a fight at even the closest range may find him- or herself in even graver danger than before any shot was fired. The time would've been better spent dialing 911, running away, or seeking cover—or all of the above.
    One of the interesting aspects of gun magazine subscriptions is reading the 'first hand' reports of gun use in stopping or interrupting crimes. Interestingly there are numerous ones where the presence of a handgun in someones hand "stopped the crime", no shots fired. I've seen a man take a slug in the chest and keep moving and I've seen a guy get hit in the forehead with a (ready?) .25 and stop, not go down but stop dead still and sit down. I think that folks buy a gun that fits their nature... many of us shoot often and have developed skills that allow for accurate shooting and we hope that carries over into any real world incident. Some folks won't take the time and yet any single projectile 'bullet' needs guidance while some of these shot based (00 no less) revolvers might just hurt someone enough to make them reconsider. But I do not disagree that gun ownership really does demand practice and familiarity. And if evasion is viable, yeah... that too. 911? Hmmm, not in the major city where I love, the 'Angles' here are slow in responding and even on hot calls can take a good ten minutes... if all I had was spray and pray vs. ten minutes, well...

  17. #17
    DaveShooter is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    24

    S&W Gov

    I like my Gov very much. S&W Gov that is. I bet the bad guy won't ask for a 2-nd round if you know what breaks out.
    It is a good self defense weapon and with the new 410 ,and 45 acp, and 45 long colt rounds. It will get the job done for sure. So don't kid yourself I own one as well as other firearms and the S&W Gov Rocks on!!!!!

  18. #18
    Cat's Avatar
    Cat
    Cat is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fla./ Levittown, PA
    Posts
    473
    S&w on top of their game,With that new baby in the house.Judge is nice,But the governor is much better. Well both pistol's are for people that can't see good.. Just point and shoot.

  19. #19
    Packard is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Posts
    1,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve M1911A1 View Post
    The real issue, regardless of the recruiting angle, is that both Judge and Governor will be pretty ineffective at stopping fights.And we all need to remember that to stop fights is the only appropriate reason for carrying a concealed defensive weapon.
    A new shooter who has been gulled into believing that his or her Judge or Governor will stop a fight at even the closest range may find him- or herself in even graver danger than before any shot was fired. The time would've been better spent dialing 911, running away, or seeking cover—or all of the above.
    Steve,

    As I recall you carry a .45 acp for personal protection. Is this a "pretty ineffective" round? Why carry it then?

    The Governor will shoot the .45 acp and the slightly more powerful .45 Long Colt.

    So in my opinion this is fine as a personal defense weapon. I'm not a fan of the .410 for personal defense out of a short barrel at 7 yards. But at point blank distances I would imagine it would do extensive damage with little or no over-penetration. With shot shells loaded I think this is a 5 to 10 foot shooter.

    With .45 acp or .45 Long Colt I think this would make a very effective man-stopper. However if .45 is your carry round, then a Night Guard might be a better choice.

    (Visually, the long cylinder to accommodate the .410 shot shells looks out of proportion to the rest of the gun. I'm getting used to the look, but my first impression was "awkward".)

  20. #20
    DaveShooter is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Packard View Post
    Steve,

    As I recall you carry a .45 acp for personal protection. Is this a "pretty ineffective" round? Why carry it then?

    The Governor will shoot the .45 acp and the slightly more powerful .45 Long Colt.

    So in my opinion this is fine as a personal defense weapon. I'm not a fan of the .410 for personal defense out of a short barrel at 7 yards. But at point blank distances I would imagine it would do extensive damage with little or no penetration. With shot shells loaded I think this is a 5 to 10 foot shooter.

    With .45 acp or .45 Long Colt I think this would make a very effective man-stopper. However if .45 is your carry round, then a Night Guard might be a better choice.

    (Visually, the long cylinder to accommodate the .410 shot shells looks out of proportion to the rest of the gun. I'm getting used to the look, but my first impression was "awkward".)
    Very well put or said. I just talked with a guy whom works for S&W, they just had employee days 600 folks work for S&W they fired the S&W Gov with no problems at all for 4-hrs straight. If someone has any doubts about this weapon try one out with 45 acp, 45 long colt, and 410 fed, or winchester PDX1 ammo, It sure will change your way of thinking on this revolver. I have had Taurus's This product the S&W Gov- beats Taurus all to pieces.
    I have also fired all types of 1911 and other revolvers in all types of cal's. I will take the S&W Gov for up close and personel, and in a dark no light room for the BG, and to each their own......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

better judge or govener
,
concealed carry s&w governor
,
governor vs judge revolver
,
is the smith and wesson governor traceable
,
night guard vs governor
,
pdx1 self defense governor
,

s&w governor

,

s&w governor for sale

,
s&w governor trigger
,
smith and wesson governor concealed carry
,

smith and wesson governor release date

,
youtube governor revolver
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1