What Call
Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: What Call

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010

    What Call

    Who can tell me about cylinder like this .

    What call type of cylinder

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Junior Member azranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Arrowhead Ranch, Glendale AZ
    That is a unfluted cylinder. Most people think unfluted cylinders are safer as they will take
    an excessive hot charge, don't know if that's true or not. Nice looking gun

  3. #3
    Member HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010

    Thumbs up

    For a .357 magnum, an unfluted cylinder is really just extra weight. On a fluted cylinder, the grooves aka flutes are offset so the amount of metal surrounding the chamber is quite substantial. Even the S@W 500 mag. revolvers have fluted cylinders, and they can fire a 500 grain bullet with overs 2,000 ft/lbs. of energy at the muzzle! By comparison, a 200 grain .357 round, puts out less than 600 ft/lbs. at the muzzle. Ruger's Super Redhawk .454 Casull has an unfluted cylinder and is known as being built like a tank, so maybe over years of shooting heavy loads unfluted "might" make a difference, I hate to second guess Bill Ruger . Some handloaders might prefer unfluted, maybe someone will chime in on that. Anyway, like I said, beautiful gun you got there!

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search tags for this page

unfluted revolver cylinders

Click on a term to search for related topics.