First time shooting a 686!

    Results 1 to 17 of 17
    1. #1
      Member RightTurnClyde's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      CA
      Posts
      368

      First time shooting a 686!

      I hit the range with a friend last night and in addition to shooting my M&P 9, we also rented a 686 since he's thinking about buying one. This was actually my first time shooting a revolver of any kind.

      What a great piece! We were shooting 38 specials through it and boy, what a surprise on the recoil (or rather lack thereof). It felt like a .22 after shooting my poly-frame M&P. I was really expecting more of a "kick" since it's a revolver. I guess there's something to be said about a big, heavy, all-metal frame. It was really enjoyable, and very accurate when shooting single action.

      For those who have one, how much does the recoil increase when firing .357 mag ammo?

    2. #2
      Junior Member Mosquito's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2008
      Posts
      61
      Depends on the barrel length. As you found out, 38s feel like a cap gun, but if you are shooting .357s out of a 6 inch, there is definitely more recoil. Don't let that scare you, because it is still manageable.

      Next time you rent that 686, get a box of 158 grain magnums, that is the only way to actually find out what it feels like.

    3. #3
      Senior Member James NM's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2007
      Location
      New Mexico
      Posts
      1,091
      Quote Originally Posted by RightTurnClyde View Post
      ...For those who have one, how much does the recoil increase when firing .357 mag ammo?

      Quite a bit. You'll definitely notice the difference.

      As to accuracy, it's not just SA. With some trigger time, a quality revolver with a good DA trigger will yield very good accuracy as well. Just ask Jerry Miculek.

    4. #4
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      Location
      SE PA
      Posts
      53
      You'll notice a difference with the .357, but it's not really bad. Full bull .44 magnums are sort of hand burners for me, but I've never had much trouble firing .357 magnum. I have a 4" barrel Model 19 and a 4" barrel 620.

    5. #5
      Senior Member Baldy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      Location
      Port St.John,FL.
      Posts
      6,740
      The .38/.357mag has been my pistol caliber most of my life. I shoot more .45's & 9mm's now adays. When I want to relax I drag out the old pistols. You can't beat the quality and craftmanship of the old pistols. Blue steel/nickel and wood. They had soul.

    6. #6
      Member oak1971's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Posts
      354
      I don't have a 686. But my old (30 yrs) Ruger Secuity Six can be a handful with .357 mag. The 4 inch barrel is more suited to 38+p. It is one of my favorites.

    7. #7
      Member Wyatt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      The Naked City
      Posts
      713
      I have a 686+ w/4" barrel. There is no mistaking when the gun is throwing .357's down range as opposed to .38's. Besides the additional kick, it is definitely louder. As mentioned though, it is not the least bit unmanageable. There is an increase in recoil but I really think the noise has something to do with the perceived versus actual difference.

      BTW, +1 on the accuracy. The 686 is a very accurate gun. I've come close to keyholing all 7 shots slow firing at 7-10 yards when I'm on, and I'm no sharpshooter. And as you have found out, a heck of a lot of fun to shoot.

      Right Turn, definitely try some magnum loads next time your at the range. I'd be interested in hearing your impressions.

    8. #8
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2007
      Posts
      10
      I love my 686. I have a pre lock version, and use it a lot.

    9. #9
      Member Willy D's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      Location
      Chesterton, IN
      Posts
      173
      I recently bought a Ruger GP100 4 inch barrel...The first time I shot it, I shot a box of 50 .357 mag....Everytime I shot it, I almost laughed out loud at what a kick it was to shoot...Way different than my semi-autos..More kick and WAY louder....I just went last week and shot the gun again, this time a box of .38 special...it felt like a mouse ..A ton less kick and noise. I think I was just as accurate, if not more, with the .357 ammo...

      Willy

    10. #10
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 2007
      Posts
      30
      It's a considerable difference. I've had a 686+ 4" for over a year, and went shooting yesterday w/ 38s, 38+ps, and big boys. 38s are like 22s out of that thing. 357s catch the attention of the people around you. It will snap(not alarmingly) and you can feel some percussion. I would NEVER shoot 357s w/o ear protection indoor or outdoor. It is soooo loud. What a rush!

    11. #11
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Posts
      36

      686 s&w

      Quote Originally Posted by RightTurnClyde View Post
      I hit the range with a friend last night and in addition to shooting my M&P 9, we also rented a 686 since he's thinking about buying one. This was actually my first time shooting a revolver of any kind.

      What a great piece! We were shooting 38 specials through it and boy, what a surprise on the recoil (or rather lack thereof). It felt like a .22 after shooting my poly-frame M&P. I was really expecting more of a "kick" since it's a revolver. I guess there's something to be said about a big, heavy, all-metal frame. It was really enjoyable, and very accurate when shooting single action.

      For those who have one, how much does the recoil increase when firing .357 mag ammo?
      ( 357 has a lot more recoil, but it's worth it. JBR)

    12. #12
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2010
      Location
      Minnesota
      Posts
      2

      Love My 686

      For what it's worth, I've had my 686 4" since the mid 80's and it is still the BEST handgun that I own. I have several semi-auto's and like shooting them. When it comes to my home protection gun, I keep the old 686 loaded with 158 JHP's. I do notice that when I take it to the range and shoot the mag's it gets much more attention from other people, than my Glock, Beretta, or MP. My wife even gets a big smile on her face when she shoots it. I recently traded a second one that I had for a G-17 and wonder if I made the right decision?
      I like to carry the "Plastic" guns, only because they are lighter and have more rounds, but if I had to take one gun to have for the rest of my life, it would be my S&W 686 .357 mag. I've tried the CCW with it, but it's a little on the heavy side and pulls the "britches" down...lol

    13. #13
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jun 2010
      Location
      S.C.
      Posts
      2
      Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
      I have a 686+ w/4" barrel. There is no mistaking when the gun is throwing .357's down range as opposed to .38's. Besides the additional kick, it is definitely louder. As mentioned though, it is not the least bit unmanageable. There is an increase in recoil but I really think the noise has something to do with the perceived versus actual difference.

      BTW, +1 on the accuracy. The 686 is a very accurate gun. I've come close to keyholing all 7 shots slow firing at 7-10 yards when I'm on, and I'm no sharpshooter. And as you have found out, a heck of a lot of fun to shoot.

      Right Turn, definitely try some magnum loads next time your at the range. I'd be interested in hearing your impressions.
      I am considering buying a 686+ or a 620. What is the difference in the two revolvers. I can't see why S&W put out two models that do the same thing. I know I am missing something, but what is it?

    14. #14
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Mar 2010
      Posts
      36

      686+

      Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
      I am considering buying a 686+ or a 620. What is the difference in the two revolvers. I can't see why S&W put out two models that do the same thing. I know I am missing something, but what is it?
      My 686+ is a precision instrument , my 1991A1 is a gun.

    15. #15
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      Georgia
      Posts
      38
      My only revolver is a 686 6" prelock. It's the only gun that my sons wants me to take to the range and it still brings a smile to my face when I shoot it ( accurate,loud and "feels like gun should feel")

    16. #16
      Member wjh2657's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      Location
      Lafayette, TN
      Posts
      306
      Qualification target for TN HCP shown below. All shots fired w/.38 Spcl WWB with 686 w/ 2 1/2" barrel. All shots fired Double Action. Like somebody else said in this thread, 686 is a precision instrument!


    17. #17
      Member 8Eric6's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2010
      Location
      Illinois
      Posts
      205
      my 686 was the 1st gun I ever bought I love it and still one of my fav guns. I could shoot 357 out of my 686 all day no problems I have a 4 inch btw. I will never part with it

    Sponsored Links

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  

    Search tags for this page

    a.686.net

    ,
    how does the smith and wesson 7 686 shoot
    ,

    how old is my 686?

    ,
    how to date my smith and wesson 686
    ,

    how to shoot a 686

    ,

    how to shoot a smith and wesson 686

    ,

    info on pc 686-4 with 6 barrel prelock

    ,

    is smith and wesson model 686 good for mettallicsilhloutte shooting

    ,

    model 686 throwing debri in face on firing

    ,

    shooting 686

    ,
    shooting 686 4 inch 357
    ,
    smith and wesson 686 p accuracy out of the box
    Click on a term to search for related topics.