Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29
  1. #1
    BADSHOT is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    15

    new guy needs advice

    im really new to guns, ive never shot a gun until a few weeks ago and fell in love. so i recently purchased a sig p229r 9mm, nite sites in black nitron but dont get to pick it up till this friday. so im wondering what kind of ammo should i get? i dont understand all the differences between ammo like the grains and stuff. is there different ammo im supposed to buy for breaking it in? any help pls?

    Ricky.

  2. #2
    BADSHOT is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    15
    ohhh ya. one more thing. since the gun is brand new, how do i break it in? is there anything im supposed to do before i actually fire the gun? i'll be taking a handgun safety course before i pick up the gun.

  3. #3
    Baldy's Avatar
    Baldy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Port St.John,FL.
    Posts
    6,741
    Before you get ahead of yourself take it home and learn to field strip it, clean it, and lube it right. I would recommend shooting standard ball ammo in for a few hundred rounds. Set your target at 10yds and pay more attention to the function of your gun. If everything is going OK then you can start trying to knock the bullseye out of the target. Good luck.

  4. #4
    BADSHOT is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
    Before you get ahead of yourself take it home and learn to field strip it, clean it, and lube it right. I would recommend shooting standard ball ammo in for a few hundred rounds. Set your target at 10yds and pay more attention to the function of your gun. If everything is going OK then you can start trying to knock the bullseye out of the target. Good luck.

    ok. how do i learn to take it apart? does it come with the owners manual? what kind of lube and what do i lube? any specific ball ammo or does it matter? forgive me i have no idea how to manage a gun
    Last edited by BADSHOT; 05-17-2007 at 01:55 PM.

  5. #5
    Baldy's Avatar
    Baldy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Port St.John,FL.
    Posts
    6,741
    Hi Badshot your owners manual should explain how to field strip it along with a few pictures. So far as cleaning it get a kit at Wally World or the gun shop where you bought it. Hoppes makes them. Ammo: I would go to WW and get Winchester White Box. It's about the least expensive out there. Good luck.

  6. #6
    BADSHOT is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldy View Post
    Hi Badshot your owners manual should explain how to field strip it along with a few pictures. So far as cleaning it get a kit at Wally World or the gun shop where you bought it. Hoppes makes them. Ammo: I would go to WW and get Winchester White Box. It's about the least expensive out there. Good luck.

    gothcha, thanks Baldy!!!

  7. #7
    Baldy's Avatar
    Baldy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Port St.John,FL.
    Posts
    6,741
    Your welcome Badshot. Just remember to have fun and enjoy yourself. This is a great hobby/sport that you can meet a bunch of really cool people in. Good luck.

  8. #8
    Queeqeg's Avatar
    Queeqeg is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    126

    Exclamation

    I have a Sig 229 9mm

  9. #9
    kingalls's Avatar
    kingalls is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    7
    You started out with one great gun...I have a 229R in .40, love it.

  10. #10
    kingalls's Avatar
    kingalls is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    7
    And another thing, Badshot...With a little practice, you can change your screen name to "Good Shot."

  11. #11
    TOF's Avatar
    TOF
    TOF is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Northern Arizona
    Posts
    3,015
    Quote Originally Posted by BADSHOT View Post
    im really new to guns, ive never shot a gun until a few weeks ago and fell in love. so i recently purchased a sig p229r 9mm, nite sites in black nitron but dont get to pick it up till this friday. so im wondering what kind of ammo should i get? i dont understand all the differences between ammo like the grains and stuff. is there different ammo im supposed to buy for breaking it in? any help pls?

    Ricky.
    In answer to your question:

    Grains is bullet weight. 7000 grains = 1 pound
    Given your stated experience I reccomend you purchase one of the following.

    1. Winchester 9MM 115 grain FMJ (Full Metal Jacket). Best source usualy Walmart
    2. Remington UMC 9MM 115 grain FMJ also Walmart
    3. CCI Blazer (either alluminum or brass cased) 9MM 115 grain FMJ

    There may be other good ammo brands in your area but these are to me standards that are generaly low cost.

    Don't worry about the other grain weights or bullet types untill you know how to handle the gun.

    There is not any special breakin ammo.

    Have fun and get some training from range personnel or someone. Especialy SAFETY training.

    Enjoy

  12. #12
    Wandering Man's Avatar
    Wandering Man is online now GM HGF Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Coastal Bend, TX
    Posts
    2,121
    One more recommendation.

    Call your favorite airlines. Buy Baldy a ticket. Get Baldy to fly to your house to show you how to field strip, clean, and shoot.

    Barring that, the people you bought the gun from should be able to give you a "hands on" demo for stripping and cleaning.

    But Baldy can probably do it better.

    WM
    Never argue with drunks or crazy people.

  13. #13
    Dr.K's Avatar
    Dr.K is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Webster Parish
    Posts
    95
    You made a wonderful choice. I have numerous pistols, and the 9mm 229r is my favorite. Get a good holster, and practice dry firing safely (NO AMMO PRESENT). Don't worry, It'll be real hard to hurt that sig. This practice will make that first Double Action shot a cinch.

  14. #14
    Baldy's Avatar
    Baldy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Port St.John,FL.
    Posts
    6,741

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering Man View Post
    One more recommendation.

    Call your favorite airlines. Buy Baldy a ticket. Get Baldy to fly to your house to show you how to field strip, clean, and shoot.

    Barring that, the people you bought the gun from should be able to give you a "hands on" demo for stripping and cleaning.

    But Baldy can probably do it better.

    WM
    Well I doubt that I could do it better but we sure would have a lot of fun. Sure do like to see young folks get involved in shooting. There's always something new to learn and someone to show you how.

  15. #15
    BADSHOT is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by TOF View Post
    In answer to your question:

    Grains is bullet weight. 7000 grains = 1 pound
    Given your stated experience I reccomend you purchase one of the following.

    1. Winchester 9MM 115 grain FMJ (Full Metal Jacket). Best source usualy Walmart
    2. Remington UMC 9MM 115 grain FMJ also Walmart
    3. CCI Blazer (either alluminum or brass cased) 9MM 115 grain FMJ

    There may be other good ammo brands in your area but these are to me standards that are generaly low cost.

    Don't worry about the other grain weights or bullet types untill you know how to handle the gun.

    There is not any special breakin ammo.

    Have fun and get some training from range personnel or someone. Especialy SAFETY training.

    Enjoy


    thanks for the feedback. im gonna start looking for some ammo before this friday so that everything will be ready. yes i plan on a safety training course before i pick up the gun. i know that this hobby can be very dangerous and just wanna make sure that im safe and whoever is around me is also safe. also my buddy is LAPD so he's gonna give me some pointers as well.
    Last edited by BADSHOT; 05-18-2007 at 09:02 AM.

  16. #16
    BADSHOT is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by kingalls View Post
    You started out with one great gun...I have a 229R in .40, love it.

    thats what the guys at the gun store said too!!!

  17. #17
    Queeqeg's Avatar
    Queeqeg is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    126

    Exclamation

    Quote Originally Posted by Queeqeg View Post
    I have a Sig 229 9mm
    but then mine is just a two tone with nightsights..no rail either

  18. #18
    SigZagger's Avatar
    SigZagger is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    472
    Your buddy from LAPD should show you the correct way to begin handgun shooting. I agree with Baldy's remarks, but since you are a "new" shooter, may I suggest moving the target a little closer than 10 yards. The seven yard line is considered the standard starting practice range for a handgun. Your cop friend will tell you police statistics reveal most defensive shootings occur within 10-20 feet. Plus, you may get discouraged if your holes are too far apart at 30 feet. Try closer than move out as you begin to feel comfortable with your new handgun. Always remember three things: consider the gun ALWAYS loaded, keep your finger off the trigger and ALWAYS keep the barrel pointed down range.

  19. #19
    BADSHOT is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by SigZagger View Post
    Your buddy from LAPD should show you the correct way to begin handgun shooting. I agree with Baldy's remarks, but since you are a "new" shooter, may I suggest moving the target a little closer than 10 yards. The seven yard line is considered the standard starting practice range for a handgun. Your cop friend will tell you police statistics reveal most defensive shootings occur within 10-20 feet. Plus, you may get discouraged if your holes are too far apart at 30 feet. Try closer than move out as you begin to feel comfortable with your new handgun. Always remember three things: consider the gun ALWAYS loaded, keep your finger off the trigger and ALWAYS keep the barrel pointed down range.

    thanks for the advice!!!

  20. #20
    falshman70's Avatar
    falshman70 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    No VA & coastal SC
    Posts
    495
    Quote Originally Posted by BADSHOT View Post
    ok. how do i learn to take it apart? does it come with the owners manual? what kind of lube and what do i lube? any specific ball ammo or does it matter? forgive me i have no idea how to manage a gun

    Guess you've just about got it by now. good news is Sig is the simplest to break down. Lock the slide back and turn down the lever on the left front of the slide and off she comes! Then you remove the spring/guide rod and the barrel. voila! Enjoy your Sig.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

scorpiusdeus

Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Springfield Armory

» HGF Sponsors

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.1