p226 vs p229 for duty carry

    Results 1 to 14 of 14
    1. #1
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      Location
      Uvalde, Texas
      Posts
      10

      p226 vs p229 for duty carry

      The department I'm joining requires all officers to purchase their duty weapons, and after taking a look at the approved list I think I'm going with SIG in double action only. Does anyone have any advice about choosing between the p226 and p229?
      I've shot both guns before, and both are comfortable in my hand. Besides length, then, are there any real differences? Remember, I'm looking for on-duty carry as a uniformed officer. Right now I'm leaning towards the p226 but for purely cosmetic reasons (the p229 just looks a little stumpy), so I'd love to hear some more tangible pros and cons of both models.

      PS sorry if this has been discussed before... I searched and didn't see anything, but correct me if I'm wrong.

    2. #2
      Member hud35500's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2010
      Location
      Southern CA
      Posts
      561
      I'd opt for the 226 for on duty. The 229 makes a nice off duty piece tho. I agree that the 229 looks a little stumpy, but it feels good in the hand(like all Sigs), and has a nice balance to it. Are we talking 9mm or .40 ? Be sure to check out the E2 models, they are really nice. I put an E2 kit on a German 226 and love the the feel.

    3. #3
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      Location
      Uvalde, Texas
      Posts
      10
      We're talking .40. Thanks for the advice!

    4. #4
      Junior Member mossy2775's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2011
      Location
      The Plains
      Posts
      43
      i carry a 226 dao everyday. i also have carried the 229. i chose the 226 because i found it was faster for me to pick up the sights from shot to shot, and was a bit smoother. Also, being that you will be in uniform your not worried about people seeing the weapon, so having the longer slide is not an issue.

    5. #5
      Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2010
      Location
      Southwest Arizona
      Posts
      183
      I own both and if I were to have to carry every day it would be the P229...
      A little smaller, less weight.
      But, both are great guns..

      Lateck,

    6. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2011
      Posts
      9
      P226.If both guns work for you, go with the 226. You get to bring more bullets to the job sight. My issue gun is a Glock 19. I would much rather carry the 17.

    7. #7
      Administrator
      VAMarine's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Iowa
      Posts
      3,895
      Quote Originally Posted by kilo11 View Post
      P226.If both guns work for you, go with the 226. You get to bring more bullets to the job sight. My issue gun is a Glock 19. I would much rather carry the 17.
      Exactly, never short yourself on ammo when concealment is not required.

    8. #8
      Member rgrundy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2011
      Location
      Arizona
      Posts
      249
      The 226 is more shootable than the 229 (I've shot both in steel shoots just because I could) but the 226 magazines fit the 229 and you could carry them if you wish to spray and pray during a gunfight with the 229.

    9. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 2011
      Posts
      9
      Happy Belated Birthday VAMarine. Semper Fi.

    10. #10
      Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2011
      Posts
      751
      226!!!!!!!!!

      Man i envy you getting a sig, they all are fine pieces

    11. #11
      Administrator
      VAMarine's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 2008
      Location
      Iowa
      Posts
      3,895
      Quote Originally Posted by kilo11 View Post
      Happy Belated Birthday VAMarine. Semper Fi.
      Yut!

    12. #12
      HGF Forum Moderator
      DJ Niner's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Location
      North-Central USA
      Posts
      4,967
      Quote Originally Posted by rgrundy View Post
      The 226 is more shootable than the 229 (I've shot both in steel shoots just because I could) but the 226 magazines fit the 229 and you could carry them if you wish to spray and pray during a gunfight with the 229.
      I don't think I've ever heard of a post-gunfight debrief (non-military fight) where anyone said they thought they'd brought too much ammo to the fight. You do hear the opposite comment fairly regularly, though.

      Aren't the current production magazine capacities of the .40 caliber 229 and 226 the same (12 rounds)? Not much "extra" in a 226 mag to spray, if my quick search results are correct.

    13. #13
      hrk
      hrk is offline
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2011
      Posts
      19
      Good reading on the selection of the DAK sigs 226/229 by agencies

      Department Of Homeland Security Chooses SIG's DAK

    14. #14
      Member rgrundy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2011
      Location
      Arizona
      Posts
      249
      Quote Originally Posted by DJ Niner View Post
      I don't think I've ever heard of a post-gunfight debrief (non-military fight) where anyone said they thought they'd brought too much ammo to the fight. You do hear the opposite comment fairly regularly, though.

      Aren't the current production magazine capacities of the .40 caliber 229 and 226 the same (12 rounds)? Not much "extra" in a 226 mag to spray, if my quick search results are correct.
      Can you say "Mec gar". They hold 15.

    Sponsored Links

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  

    Search tags for this page

    best duty sig
    ,
    p226 or p229
    ,

    p226 vs p229

    ,
    p229 carried as a duty weapon
    ,

    p229 vs p226

    ,
    sig 226 or 229
    ,
    sig 226 vs 229
    ,
    sig 229 vs 226
    ,
    sig p226 duty
    ,

    sig p226 vs p229

    ,

    sig p229 vs p226

    ,

    sig sauer p226 vs p229

    Click on a term to search for related topics.

    Tags for this Thread