Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    dpdtc is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Spring TX
    Posts
    70

    Sig 229 Picky about ammo?

    Ok so I have a SAS GEN II on order with local dealer. Is the 229 known for wanting certain ammo? I usually go with 180 gr .40 ammo with what ever brand is available. My PX4 hasn't had any issues with any ammo I have thrown it.
    Hopefully have the gun Friday. Sig didn't have any so he said he would get it from a distributor. Fingers crossed.

  2. Ads
  3. #2
    Todd is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    0
    I can only speak for the 9mm, but my SAS Gen 2 will eat anything I feed it. I've even mixed brands in the mag trying to get it to stumble and it chewed it right up.

    That being said, make sure to run a few boxes of whatever you choose for SD ammo through it just to be sure. You don't want to find out you have the one brand in there that your gun doesn't like when it matters most.

  4. #3
    SaltyDog's Avatar
    SaltyDog is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    691
    What Todd said - I have the P229 DAK - same gun different appearance and I shoot just about any ammo in 40 S&W and prefer the 160 gr bullet but I have shot the 180 gr (they were on sale). I've shot PMC, Winchester, Remington, Federal without any problems. My preferred PD is Federal Hydra-Shok and I've shot at least 50 rounds with no problems.

    You're gonna like that gun I'm sure

  5. #4
    DevilsJohnson is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    3,373
    I just have the lowly basic 229 in .40. But it will eat anything I put in it. I am wondering why you posed this question after you ordered one. I would think I would want to know that beforehand.

  6. #5
    dpdtc is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Spring TX
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilsJohnson View Post
    I just have the lowly basic 229 in .40. But it will eat anything I put in it. I am wondering why you posed this question after you ordered one. I would think I would want to know that beforehand.
    I am asking myself the same question. Thought I covered all the bases as I looked at a lot of guns. I thought of this more as a don't buy xxxxxx because it hates it. My luck that is what I would have thrown in it first.

    Thanks

  7. #6
    dpdtc is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Spring TX
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
    What Todd said - I have the P229 DAK - same gun different appearance and I shoot just about any ammo in 40 S&W and prefer the 160 gr bullet but I have shot the 180 gr (they were on sale). I've shot PMC, Winchester, Remington, Federal without any problems. My preferred PD is Federal Hydra-Shok and I've shot at least 50 rounds with no problems.

    You're gonna like that gun I'm sure
    Curious why you like 160 gr? What do see is its advantage over 180 gr. Is it primarily the faster speed? Just curious.

  8. #7
    HKP30's Avatar
    HKP30 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    OHIO
    Posts
    19
    The P229 is one of my favorite designs, I own the following:

    P229R 9mm
    P229R Two-Tone .40
    P229R Nitron .40
    P229R Stainless Elite .40
    P229R Equinox .40

    Never a problem with any of them. I've never heard of a P229 suffering from ammo sensitivity issues. Enjoy the new pistol!!

  9. #8
    dpdtc is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Spring TX
    Posts
    70
    Quote Originally Posted by HKP30 View Post
    The P229 is one of my favorite designs, I own the following:

    P229R 9mm
    P229R Two-Tone .40
    P229R Nitron .40
    P229R Stainless Elite .40
    P229R Equinox .40

    Never a problem with any of them. I've never heard of a P229 suffering from ammo sensitivity issues. Enjoy the new pistol!!
    Nice collection of 229's you got there. I think I will like it a lot can't wait. Thanks for the input.

  10. #9
    SaltyDog's Avatar
    SaltyDog is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    691
    Quote Originally Posted by dpdtc View Post
    Curious why you like 160 gr? What do see is its advantage over 180 gr. Is it primarily the faster speed? Just curious.
    Sorry mistyped - it is the 165gr and yes I normally select the middle weight in a caliber range. I have shot both and they have nearly identical in recoil and the ballistics are nearly the same, a little more drop on the 180gr (at 50 yds) and less penetration with the 165gr and nearly the same energy so this fits my needs.

    Any reason why I would not shoot the 180gr? - Nope.

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

best 40 ammo for sig p229

,
best 9mm ammo for sig p229
,
best ammo for p229
,

best ammo for sig p229

,
best ammo for sig p229 .40
,

best ammo for sig p229 9mm

,
best ammo for sig sauer p229 9mm
,
best ammo sig p229
,
best ammo sig p229 9mm
,
sig p229 ammo
,
sig picky ammo
,
sig sauer p229 problems
Click on a term to search for related topics.