What's your preference for slide-lube??

    Results 1 to 20 of 20
    1. #1
      Member babs's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      Posts
      596

      What's your preference for slide-lube??

      Either slide lubricant or rather whole gun lube in general.. ?? What do you like?

      I "have" on the shelf remoil, but read over on the Sig forum that it's basically mineral oil and solvent and there's far better stuff out there for slide lube. Stuff like slide-glide or others.

      So what do you Sig officianado's or any auto-shooters out there like?

      For reference, my application would be a 9mm P226.

    2. #2
      Junior Member sfmittels's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2007
      Location
      Arizona
      Posts
      70
      When I bought my first SIG fourteen months ago, the SIG dealer told me to use Militec-1. I'm now up to nine SIGs, and I still use Militec-1 on all of them. Most of my new SIGs even came with a small bottle of Militec-1 in the box from the factory. The stuff doesn't evaporate like many lubes, and multiple applications gradually form a slick layer something like Teflon. I've read on other forums that our guys in the sandbox are asking family and friends to send them Militec-1 because it's far superior to the issued CLP in that environment.

    3. #3
      Senior Member Ram Rod's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2008
      Location
      Washington county, arkansas
      Posts
      1,026
      I use this for all my slides/rails.

    4. #4
      Member babs's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      Posts
      596
      Quote Originally Posted by sfmittels View Post
      When I bought my first SIG fourteen months ago, the SIG dealer told me to use Militec-1. I'm now up to nine SIGs, and I still use Militec-1 on all of them. Most of my new SIGs even came with a small bottle of Militec-1 in the box from the factory. The stuff doesn't evaporate like many lubes, and multiple applications gradually form a slick layer something like Teflon. I've read on other forums that our guys in the sandbox are asking family and friends to send them Militec-1 because it's far superior to the issued CLP in that environment.
      Thanks..
      They look pretty bonafide with that product.
      Using militec-1 looks simple but makes sense...

      Start with clean weapon of course
      Apply M-1 sparingly but throughout even on the mag
      Fire weapon
      Apply more M-1 while still hot
      Fire some more to lock it into the metal surfaces
      Care for gun as normal with typical cleaning but reapplication

      I think I might have to partake the cool-aid and give it a try.

    5. #5
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2008
      Posts
      39
      Quote Originally Posted by babs View Post
      Thanks..
      They look pretty bonafide with that product.
      Using militec-1 looks simple but makes sense...

      Start with clean weapon of course
      Apply M-1 sparingly but throughout even on the mag
      Fire weapon
      Apply more M-1 while still hot
      Fire some more to lock it into the metal surfaces
      Care for gun as normal with typical cleaning but reapplication

      I think I might have to partake the cool-aid and give it a try.
      you shouldnt' put lube on the magazine, they're built to run dry

    6. #6
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      May 2007
      Posts
      8
      Brian Enos' Slide Glide.

      Militec is good stuff--this is better. It's stringy, and therefore doesn't leave the rails. Since using it, my rails on my P229 haven't worn any Nitron off after c.1000 rounds. It's the shizzle.

    7. #7
      Junior Member Water-Man's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Location
      N. Georgia
      Posts
      54
      Mobil-1 Syn

    8. #8
      Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Posts
      784
      Quote Originally Posted by Milliron View Post
      Brian Enos' Slide Glide.

      Militec is good stuff--this is better. It's stringy, and therefore doesn't leave the rails. Since using it, my rails on my P229 haven't worn any Nitron off after c.1000 rounds. It's the shizzle.
      +1 on Slide Glide.

      supplemental to CLP soak and wipe

      Slide Glide #3 works extremely well on my well worn P99

    9. #9
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Dec 2007
      Posts
      14
      There are many very good lubricants for SIGs. I have used the following successfully and can recommend them:

      Wilson Ultima Lube Oil
      Wilson Ultima Lube Grease (for the slides)
      Gun Butter
      Militec-1
      Synthetic Motor Oil (Mobil-1, Castrol Syntec, etc.)
      Slide Glide

    10. #10
      Member babs's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      Posts
      596
      So I'm finally going to get some range time.. prepped up the 226 last night with some M-1.. Interesting stuff... Thick slow rolling stuff like a heavy-weight motor oil... Once I fire off a couple mags to get the gun up to temp, I'll wipe down and reapply as per the instructions. What's interesting is the kit or package I ordered also included a tube of m-1 "grease" with screw on needle.. Not sure what use that would be on the gun... Maybe for the slide. ??? Same stuff as what's in the bottle?

      .. I'll read up on it. Nevermind... looks like the grease isn't really something for firearm use. The oil's the trick.

    11. #11
      Supporting Member scorpiusdeus's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2007
      Location
      Ventura County, CA
      Posts
      187
      Slide Glide.

    12. #12
      Junior Member redcell_43's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2008
      Location
      Pocatello, ID
      Posts
      5
      Totally depends on your environment. Different things work better in different climates, but overall for most...CLP.

    13. #13
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 2008
      Posts
      3
      +2 Mobil-1 Syn

    14. #14
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Location
      orlando
      Posts
      68
      i have clp its great stuff my slide stays oil longer i live in florida so the climet it kills my other gun oils so i switch and now i dont have to oil as much any more

    15. #15
      Banned
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Location
      Aurora, Colorado
      Posts
      21

      lubricant

      Totally Militec for the last 6 years on all my autoloaders.

    16. #16
      Senior Member Baldy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2006
      Location
      Port St.John,FL.
      Posts
      6,740
      I haven't tried them all but I found CLP stay's wetter longer on the rails than anything else I have used. Powder cake comes off easy if CLP was applied first. I use Shooters Choice for the lead and Hoppes to clean it then I go back over with CLP. I am happy with it.

    17. #17
      Member babs's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 2007
      Posts
      596
      Just an update...

      Gun has been in safe since my last post up there.. June 20th.. Since then it's had a nice conservative bead of militec-1 on the rails I applied after cleaning the day I shot it, back in June. It's still wet and ready to rock. I'd have no reservations pulling it un-oiled in it's current condition at the range and emptying a magazine. That stuff STICKS around. So far, so good.

      Now what am I going to do with the Remoil.. I guess I could use it on the pulley rollers and cables of the new weight set.


    18. #18
      Junior Member
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Posts
      14
      sig p220 sao hoppe's 9 for cleaning the barrel. clp for eveything else cleaning lubing including the rails. stays wet for a long time....

    19. #19
      Senior Member
      Join Date
      Oct 2007
      Location
      Kentucky
      Posts
      3,373
      I have a 226 (9mm) and a 229 (.40 & 357 Sig) and I use this stuff called Tetra Gun Grease on my rails and slides. It looks a lot like a white lithium grease but it's a little more pricey. A little goes a long way. I got a 30 gram-1 oz tube a year ago and I still have some left. It holds up great even on guns I will clean up and put back in the safe for months. I have been known to use syn-tech Castrol though when I was low on other things. Works pretty nice and is more cost effective if you look at how much you'll get for 5-6 bucks

    20. #20
      Junior Member mumbo719's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Posts
      1
      Synthetic motor oil like a Mobile 1

    Sponsored Links

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  

    Search tags for this page

    best gun slide lube
    ,

    gun grease for slides

    ,
    gun slide lube
    ,
    gun slide lube diy
    ,

    gun slide lubricant

    ,
    is militec-1 really castrol synthtic motor oil
    ,
    lubing pistol slide
    ,
    militec 1 dealers
    ,
    sig 226 slide lube
    ,

    slide glide gun grease

    ,

    slide glide vs gun butter

    ,
    slide.libricant for sig sauer
    Click on a term to search for related topics.