Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    onalandline's Avatar
    onalandline is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Land of the free!
    Posts
    75

    New Ruger LCP questions...

    I just picked up a Ruger LCP from Cabela's today, and I have a few questions:

    1) First of all, I have to push in the Magazine release button a little in order to get the magazine in. Is that normal?

    2) The black guide rod has wear marks on it already. Is that normal?

    3) The top of the barrel lug that you can see at the top of the slide when the pistol is assembled has a wear mark on it. Is that normal?

    This is a factory new pistol from Cabela's. This is my second pistol. My first being the Glock 19. The finish on the Glock was superior. The LCP is a little disappointing so far, and I have not even shot it yet.

  2. Ads
  3. #2
    von buck's Avatar
    von buck is offline Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wolcott Ct.
    Posts
    124
    Quote Originally Posted by onalandline View Post
    I just picked up a Ruger LCP from Cabela's today, and I have a few questions:

    1) First of all, I have to push in the Magazine release button a little in order to get the magazine in. Is that normal?

    2) The black guide rod has wear marks on it already. Is that normal?

    3) The top of the barrel lug that you can see at the top of the slide when the pistol is assembled has a wear mark on it. Is that normal?
    I've had my LCP for a few months and had the same problem with the magazine. Just give the bottom a smack or two without pressing the release button and it will be fine. Can't answer the rest of your questions

    Andy

  4. #3
    recoilguy's Avatar
    recoilguy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    1,311
    Go shoot the gun and see if you still have stuff to complain about.

    Are the wear marks just mars on the finish from racking the slide or are they actual gouges?

    Little guns are built with little room The finish on G19 should be superior to the LCP. I would be more worried if you said you just got the G19 and the LCP had a better finish. I would like to hear what you think once youve filled then emptird the mag a few times. I am generally more interested in how the gun performs, however I would not want a gun that was faulty or made my embarrassed to show my shooting buddies because it was an obvious POS or a lemon.

    RCG

  5. #4
    onalandline's Avatar
    onalandline is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Land of the free!
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by recoilguy View Post
    Go shoot the gun and see if you still have stuff to complain about.

    Are the wear marks just mars on the finish from racking the slide or are they actual gouges?

    Little guns are built with little room The finish on G19 should be superior to the LCP. I would be more worried if you said you just got the G19 and the LCP had a better finish. I would like to hear what you think once youve filled then emptird the mag a few times. I am generally more interested in how the gun performs, however I would not want a gun that was faulty or made my embarrassed to show my shooting buddies because it was an obvious POS or a lemon.

    RCG
    Thanks for the reply.

    The magazine insertion issue was just my fault. I was being too careful with it. When I gave it a smack, it went in with no problem.

    The wear marks are apparently from the factory test firing and/or me just racking the slide. Just a small, smooth mark on the top of the barrel lug and some on the guide rod. Basically, just a bit of the blueing wearing off. That's what the guy at Cabela's told me. Also, there are just a couple of production marks on the inside of the slide. I am guessing that is normal. I guess the blued finish is not anywhere near as tough as the tenifer finish on the Glock. I never shot the gun yet. No gouges. Just being anal I guess.

  6. #5
    Tuefelhunden is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    554
    I have a chrome slide model and the fit and finish on mine was excellent. I usually ride the mag release button when inserting a mag but one should not have to with enough force applied. I would also attribute any wear marks to handling and test firing unless deep gouges, scratches or significant material is missing from that plastic rod. So far not a bobble out of mine and have been very impressed. As small and light as it is it shoots amazingly well. Hope yours works out as well.

  7. #6
    island18 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    27

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuefelhunden View Post
    I have a chrome slide model and the fit and finish on mine was excellent. I usually ride the mag release button when inserting a mag but one should not have to with enough force applied. I would also attribute any wear marks to handling and test firing unless deep gouges, scratches or significant material is missing from that plastic rod. So far not a bobble out of mine and have been very impressed. As small and light as it is it shoots amazingly well. Hope yours works out as well.
    When you say chrome slide....is this hard shine chrome or looks like a regular two tones?
    I went to the dealer and he showed to me the blue and a two tones, never mention a crome one

  8. #7
    dondavis3's Avatar
    dondavis3 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Dallas / Fort Worth Texas Area
    Posts
    1,843
    From what I'm reading I believe all of your problems may not be long term problems..

    You should shoot the gun at least 200 times (IMHO) to break it in and to determine that it is trustworthy for conceal carry.

    They aren't the most fun to shoot or the most accurate of guns.

    But they are excellent for pocket carry self defense.

    I carry mine in a DeSantis Nemesis holster.



    Both my wife and I shoot them often for practice.

    Ours have similar marks and scuff's as you describe.

    I think you'll enjoy your new gun as you get used to it.


  9. #8
    onalandline's Avatar
    onalandline is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Land of the free!
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by dondavis3 View Post
    From what I'm reading I believe all of your problems may not be long term problems..

    You should shoot the gun at least 200 times (IMHO) to break it in and to determine that it is trustworthy for conceal carry.

    They aren't the most fun to shoot or the most accurate of guns.

    But they are excellent for pocket carry self defense.

    I carry mine in a DeSantis Nemesis holster.

    Both my wife and I shoot them often for practice.

    Ours have similar marks and scuff's as you describe.

    I think you'll enjoy your new gun as you get used to it.

    I have since taken it to the range and fired a bunch of ammo through it, without problems. I don't mind firing it. I think it has a smooth, although long, trigger pull. I too, have the Nemesis holster. I was just being anal about the marks. Thanks for the reply.

  10. #9
    JamesCanby is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    1

    Comments on the LCP

    Quote Originally Posted by onalandline View Post
    I just picked up a Ruger LCP from Cabela's today, and I have a few questions:

    1) First of all, I have to push in the Magazine release button a little in order to get the magazine in. Is that normal?

    2) The black guide rod has wear marks on it already. Is that normal?

    3) The top of the barrel lug that you can see at the top of the slide when the pistol is assembled has a wear mark on it. Is that normal?

    This is a factory new pistol from Cabela's. This is my second pistol. My first being the Glock 19. The finish on the Glock was superior. The LCP is a little disappointing so far, and I have not even shot it yet.
    The more you fire the LCP, the easier it will be to insert the magazine. It's hard at first, but it gets easier over time. Rather than pressing the magazine release button, tap (smack) the mag into place with the heel of your hand.

    The marks on the guide rod are essentially the bluing being rubbed off by the recoil springs. Not a problem.

    I haven't seen the kind of wear mark on the barrel that you mentioned.

    It's a great gun ... and the more you shoot it, the better it gets.

  11. #10
    Tuefelhunden is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    554
    Sorry island18, I just now saw your question. Yes it is a two tone look and the slide is what they call hard chromed. It is silver but it is a flat mat finish not polished. Either type is fine in my opinion. It looks nice and ought to wear well. So far still no problems out of mine and although I may be strange I enjoy shooting it. Currently resides in a cheap uncle Mikes pocket holster or ankle holster. I'd second the Nemesis and plan on getting one for it. Better fit and function.

  12. #11
    PX
    PX is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    SE GA.
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by onalandline View Post
    I have since taken it to the range and fired a bunch of ammo through it, without problems.

    ona:

    There ya go.....

    The only problem I've found with Ruger LCP's is the fact that they are habit-forming.. After my first one (which I have a CT laser on) my wife bought her one (engraved slide version), and then I bought another, just cause....

    Lottsa' gun for little money in my opinion...


    Best Wishes,

    Jesse

    P.S. To each his own, but I DO depress the mag release button when inserting a mag... Being easy with the mag insertion might not be necessary, but it won't hurt..

  13. #12
    onalandline's Avatar
    onalandline is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Land of the free!
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by PX View Post
    ona:

    There ya go.....

    The only problem I've found with Ruger LCP's is the fact that they are habit-forming.. After my first one (which I have a CT laser on) my wife bought her one (engraved slide version), and then I bought another, just cause....

    Lottsa' gun for little money in my opinion...


    Best Wishes,

    Jesse

    P.S. To each his own, but I DO depress the mag release button when inserting a mag... Being easy with the mag insertion might not be necessary, but it won't hurt..
    It's more broken in now, and does not require much to insert the magazine.

  14. #13
    PX
    PX is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    SE GA.
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by onalandline View Post
    It's more broken in now, and does not require much to insert the magazine.

    ona:

    Great..

    I didn't mean to imply or suggest the ONLY correct way to insert the magazine was to keep the release depressed while inserting, I was just saying that I do it, and it works for me.

    I think Ruger's warranty/customer service would fix, free, any mag release problems, no matter the cause, so whatever works for you is what you should do.

    I'm just old and set in my ways, and seldom let logic or facts sway my opinion.

    Best Wishes,

    Jesse

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

does changing the guide rod hurt my ruger lc9?
,

lcp mag release

,
new ruger lcp scratched guide rod
,
ruger lc380 scratched barrel
,

ruger lcp cabelas

,
ruger lcp guide rod problems
,

ruger lcp mag release

,
ruger lcp magazine issues
,

ruger lcp magazine problems

,

ruger lcp magazine release

,

ruger lcp magazine won't seat

,
ruger lcp two tone
Click on a term to search for related topics.